U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there too much negativity in the Florida forum?
Yes, WAY too much 16 61.54%
No, not enough 0 0%
Just right 6 23.08%
People who are consistently negative should be banned. 8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,485,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
For ME PERSONALLY, its a reasonable exchange to live here with the nice weather, being close to the ocean, the areas activities AND I love the mixture of people I find here in Florida. People literally from all over the world live here and I enjoy that multicultural experience.
This sums everything up perfectly, for YOU personally. Not everyone is going to see it the way you see it. This is a place to discuss Florida, moving, living advice etc.

If a person has a negative view of Florida then that is their experience and as long as they are not being a troll, should be allowed to express that view. People need to get over the fact that not everyone is going to see things their way. Learn to agree to disagree

Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,735,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
This sums everything up perfectly, for YOU personally. Not everyone is going to see it the way you see it. This is a place to discuss Florida, moving, living advice etc.

If a person has a negative view of Florida then that is their experience and as long as they are not being a troll, should be allowed to express that view. People need to get over the fact that not everyone is going to see things their way. Learn to agree to disagree

QFT!! That's the whole purpose of forums and debates. I deal with tourists and Florida residents alike and have to drive in the heart of Orlando everyday. All of my coworkers despise most FL residents because they are trouble. If you sit at home all day you will not get the full Orlando experience day after day.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,789,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
There is a difference, when someone post some nice pictures of their Florida vacation and then someone else tries to turn it is to a discussion why they will probably get skin cancer because they went to the beach. They spoil every thread they weigh in on and make no mistake, it is on purpose. This forum is a private entity and if they feel some posters are intentionally malicious, and some are, all they have to do is ban them plain and simple. I have no problem with that.
I'm with you on this one. If it's objective, it's fine, negative or positive. Some people like it, some people don't like it like anywhere else. In my opinion, objectivity should be the center of concern in the state forums, not "negative or positive".

I.E wild style above, he can be "negative", but he is objective and gets his point across in a respectful way. There is nothing wrong with that.

Then you have other posters just screaming "Crime! crime! crime! crime! crime! rude people! crime! crime! rude people!" going at it with another poster saying "warm weather in the winter! Everything is great! Buy now!". That's not really appropriate. That's just mental venting or trying to push an agenda.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-07-2008 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,795,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

I am speaking of the trolls. Everyone has a different way of looking at the same things of course. I love living in Florida and the next person that likes it might have a very different reason for it.

There are those here though that ruin any thread they join in on, they troll the boards with the intention of spreading their venom. I know there are negatives about Florida but its not ALL negative. Anyone who can say that needs counseling. Trolls have no business giving advice when their advice is more then likely based on the experiences of someone who suffers from psychiatric problems.

Take a look at the poll, its not just MY OPINION. So far its the majority opinion.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,035,727 times
i started a thread a long time ago called "florida, the angry state?" for this very same reason. seems to me that there are only two types of people in this world (florida lovers and florida HATERS).
i can understand that everyone is different and has their own preferences but the florida forums were shocking when i first came upon them and now i try to avoid them. i have heard that the murder rate increases during the summer in most cities but it's not even hot right now.
I seriously wonder how many of the florida haters will be eating their words once they finally leave the state and see just how crappy some other places can be. it is a beautiful paradise here compared to some other states.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,795,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
All of my coworkers despise most FL residents because they are trouble.
Maybe the problem is your work environment, it sounds VERY negative. Its unfortunate you take that home to your family.

Do you hear yourself??

I know ALOT of people who were born and raised here that are wonderful people AND transplants as well.

As for me sitting at home, I choose to work at home because I knew driving back and forth to work cost money and time, something I need more of as a single Mother. Thats one solution that someone like me who is pro-active decided to take rather then whining non stop about how bad the traffic is.

Any big city you live in is going to have traffic. Find a job closer to home, find a job you can do from home, work a different shift when there is less traffic. There are other solutions unless you just WANT to be unhappy.

My feeling about people who make such bizarre sweeping statements is that no matter where they live, they are going to find something to be unhappy about. Their posts are trollish and they are bringing the forum down. Pure and simple.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,432,199 times
There are some serious issues if someone takes others opinions so to heart & personally...

It's a public forum. Everyone has their own personal feelings & opinons. They are allowed to express them in the manner they want. Moderators are on the site for a reason.

If you don't care for what a person writes, just pass up that poster.

Both sides of the story should be allowed. None of us have any right to judge a person due to their own personal experiences. It is not so easy to just pack up & leave. There is on extrememly overoptimistic poster who hasn't left their state for FL b/c a job; never see anyone ranting at that poster to pack up & move to FL asap if it is just so perfect.

The extreme negative posters get just as annoying as the extremely positive posters. But such is life. Freedom of speech.

If all I wanted to know was overoptimistic "opinions" of FL, I would call a realtor b/c then I could get my fill of how absolutely famtastic an area was & never have to hear an ounce of reality such as crime, jobs, housing, etc.

So, if all some want to hear is wonderful, fantastic, great, perfect....call a local realtor...don't post a question or post & then whine about the responses.

If someone comes on this site & takes everything that is written here SERIOUSLY,well,that's just no the best thing. If someone moves to or from FL due to website advice...I just don't know what to say to that....

Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

631 posts, read 1,970,865 times
I fully agree that there are too many people here who never have anything nice to say - or they'll say something masked in sarcasm - and simply spoil the forum for us all. I do not frequent the forum as often as I'd like because of it. You can only hear them reply the same thing, incessantly, so many times. It becomes a strain on the community as a whole.

I do agree that they should be banned. They have been given many warnings before, and to continue doing what they were doing before, in spite of what the moderators have said? I think they have long overstayed their welcome.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 PM

975 posts, read 3,434,530 times
also there is a group of posters who deliberately and repeatedly slam SW Florida. They have an agenda to make that area look bad, IMO.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM

126 posts, read 310,785 times
This board is to help people I feel everone has the right to say how THEY FEEL I have no problem with there honesty I like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or