U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there too much negativity in the Florida forum?
Yes, WAY too much 16 61.54%
No, not enough 0 0%
Just right 6 23.08%
People who are consistently negative should be banned. 8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,801,509 times

Advertisements

On this forum there are alot of people who have either a reasonable view of living in Florida, eyes open about the negatives and the positives. Aware that in every place you live its an exchange.

If I lived near Boston where I grew up, I wouldn't have as much sunny weather but I would have the closeness of my childhood friends, the history and great culture of the area.

Similarly, I live here in Florida because I put MORE weight on the things I can have here in Florida that I can't have elsewhere. My family lives near Dallas/Fort Worth so no ocean there. The weather is not something I enjoy, too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, dry most of the time which I can't stand.

For ME PERSONALLY, its a reasonable exchange to live here with the nice weather, being close to the ocean, the areas activities AND I love the mixture of people I find here in Florida. People literally from all over the world live here and I enjoy that multicultural experience.

While noting the negatives of any place is of value, doesn't it cross the line when thats ALL a person has to say? When its clear that its not enough for that person to make the statement they don't like it here but they have to beat a dead horse about it? AND they continue to go on because they feel the need to try and convert others to their way of feeling? Sort of like that saying "Misery loves company"?

Is this a forum to discuss the negatives and positives or the REALITIES of Florida or is this a mental health care forum where we the people who come here wanting to discuss Florida have to hand hold people who might benefit from some medication since they can't or won't relocate or find a way to put a more positive spin on their life.

Honestly, read back over your own posts, if a majority of them on this topic are SEEPING with venom and negativity, you just might have a problem. Check around, no one really enjoys reading your posts full of negativity and OH WOE IS ME.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 AM

326 posts, read 1,221,469 times
Lindsey, I fully agree. When I moved to FL I put more weight on, about thirty pounds!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

1,377 posts, read 3,736,139 times
So someone disagrees with YOUR view about Florida so you want to ban them? What world are you from? You can't have good without the bad and have a realistic view of Orlando. You work at Disney?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
So someone disagrees with YOUR view about Florida so you want to ban them? What world are you from? You can't have good without the bad and have a realistic view of Orlando. You work at Disney?
I have a very realistic view of Florida, I have done some research, for example I have concerns AND have spoken about them on this forum about the downsides to living here.
No one is suggesting to leave the bad off at all but you have to admit that some people all they do is spew venom. Thats more of an indication of a personal problem then a real problem with Orlando.

I don't work for Disney, not sure what that has to do with the subject at all but whatever.

Don't you think life in general is better if you try to find something positive to think about instead of dwelling on the negative?

For example, I almost lost my right arm when I was a teenager to a bone cyst. The pain, the surgeries, all of it SUCKED. BUT, I still have my arm, I can do all the things most people can do, I never developed cancer or multiple tumors like they suspected I would AND everytime I went in for a check up to see the doctor, there was someone there alot worse off then I am. Crying in my milk all the time would have made life alot worse.

From what you have said you own a house here, no doubt you would like to sell it and move but can't because the market is not good at the moment. That sucks, no doubt. BUT, think about the people who have had their homes foreclosed on and no longer own AND have that foreclosure on their credit OR about the people who never owned a house to begin with and their life has been about renting one hovel after another, you are WAY better off then they are. No matter how bad your life is, there is always someone worse off then you are. If you can't see that, then you might be dealing with some depression of something.

I can tell you from what other people on the Florida forum are saying they are getting tired of being the one it gets taken out on.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 AM

265 posts, read 611,951 times
Absolutely too much negativity.
And there is a nasty gang in the Florida forums that tries to bully
people reporting good predictions for home sellers ! What is it
with these tactics?
I personally think it's one or two nasty posters with numerous
aliases.
I am aware you can get dinged for that but not if you use different computers such as library, home, etc.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

57 posts, read 216,805 times
I think the poster above shows a perfect example of what you are talking about.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,736,139 times
But what if you were looking at moving to Orlando and stumbled upon this website? Wouldn't you like to see the good and the bad. If its not one person another one will soon pop up it doesn't matter. Most people who have lived in Orlando a long time have valid arguments why the city has gone downhill along with alot of Florida. Like said not all of Orlando is bad, but alot is. I said you must work at Disney because they are happy making $7 hour, don't have to pay many bills and live off their parents and think everything is rosy.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
But what if you were looking at moving to Orlando and stumbled upon this website? Wouldn't you like to see the good and the bad. If its not one person another one will soon pop up it doesn't matter. Most people who have lived in Orlando a long time have valid arguments why the city has gone downhill along with alot of Florida. Like said not all of Orlando is bad, but alot is. I said you must work at Disney because they are happy making $7 hour, don't have to pay many bills and live off their parents and think everything is rosy.
LOL, no I don't work for Disney, I don't live off my parents. I am a single Mother, I own my own home, I work from home and have been going to school as well.

I think this forum SHOULD present both sides but in a realistic way and there are a few bullies here who make sweeping generalizations that are not supported by statistical data simply because they are so misreable. Their posts WREAK of emotional problems or as the kids say now a days, they sound like emos.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I have been told that some people did stumble across this website and listened to some of the bullies and didn't move here and are now misreable where they live and are planning a second move to get down to where they wanted to in the first place.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,406,486 times
Quote:
There is a difference, when someone post some nice pictures of their Florida vacation and then someone else tries to turn it is to a discussion why they will probably get skin cancer because they went to the beach. They spoil every thread they weigh in on and make no mistake, it is on purpose. This forum is a private entity and if they feel some posters are intentionally malicious, and some are, all they have to do is ban them plain and simple. I have no problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or