Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Houses aren't yard goods. You can't go shopping based entirely by the footage. If this were true, then the assumption is that all houses are the same inside and you could do drive-by shopping. Upgrades, window treatments, flooring, the age of the house, the condition, the area, all come into play. If someone made me an offer (house is not for sale) based on square footage, I'd tell them to kiss my behind.

Of course not, but it serves as a barometer to determine how expensive a house is. The smaller house for the same price may be the better buy, but it is also the more expensive buy. Thats what I use cost per square foot for. It lets people like me and others determine how much house they get for the buck. I dont want to pay a high price per square foot, I dont need waterfront, I dont need granite counters, marble bathrooms or all those "extras" that cost so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
If you want to wait to buy and then miss out, that was your choice.

If you want that home that you saw on the mls and can afford it at the listed price, then why the heck would you want to wait to see if the price will drop even more? That to me is just plain silly!

You want something, then work for it.

Because prices are dropping. Alot of people are renting and waiting. Even if I had the money, why would I buy a south Florida house at the inflated price it is at? If I wanted a house now I would get one where prices are reasonable like Texas, OH or WV. Florida is not reasonable! I am not going to overpay!

Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
First of all where would someone get the income to support these inflated prices and TAXES? Deal drugs, become a congressman? It's not lazy to want a cheap home, it's a fundamental of the free market. I know prices will fall but unless we get stomped by a hurricane prices will always be just out of reach for the hard working employees in the area. I predict prices comming down to the levels of 1999 adjusted 3% a year for inflation since then. Also doubt that real estate will ever hit such a bubble in our remaining lifetime.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:54 PM

94 posts, read 418,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Whose fundamentals? Yours? Since when has real estate been alligned to anything?
Apparently you lack the information about this subject. House prices are aligned to not one thing but many things, like jobs, inflation, but overall GDP is a good measure. Historically GDP and house median values have been more or less in line. When they are not wait few years and they adjust, just like what is happening now.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post

Are you saying that a house with marble foors and 3-zone Air conditioning with a paver driveway should be the same cost per square foot as a house with linoleum, no A/C and a dirt driveway?
Can I still get a house with linoleum and a dirt driveway on a few acres? They can keep the marble floors, drywall and 400.00 a month bill with that air conditioning.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Houses aren't yard goods. You can't go shopping based entirely by the footage. If this were true, then the assumption is that all houses are the same inside and you could do drive-by shopping. Upgrades, window treatments, flooring, the age of the house, the condition, the area, all come into play. If someone made me an offer (house is not for sale) based on square footage, I'd tell them to kiss my behind.
I think you are getting what need_affordable_housing really means however trying to discredit him by twisting what he said. He is accepting the fact that distance to beaches, shopping etc, quailty of construction , extras like pool etc all adds to the cost but he is using the sq ft price as a means to compare similar houses all else equal.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
If you want to wait to buy and then miss out, that was your choice.

If you want that home that you saw on the mls and can afford it at the listed price, then why the heck would you want to wait to see if the price will drop even more? That to me is just plain silly!

You want something, then work for it.
Well, before calling someone's trying to save money silly re-read your post. WHat I could possibly afford with a credit line and how much more or less I have to work my backside to pay it off are two different matters. Thank God not everybody spends like you would suggest or this nation'd bankrupt in a day.
By the way with thousands to choose from and more in the pipeline why would someone rush into buying a house clearly overpaying for it unless there is urgency. Trust me if you fall in love with a house chances are the cookie-cutter homebuilder probably made another one few blocks away, so there is really no missing out here unlike some realtors cry out. Buying now and waiting few months make the difference of tens of thousands of dollars and last time I checked people still had to work to earn dollars unless of course they pick them from trees in your neck of the woods.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:05 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Need-Aff,

Don't get too bent out of shape over this. Florida real estate is going to be a mess in the next few years. You will be rewarded for your patience.

Stay the course. Let every one of them call us "lazy." In a few years a true, qualified buyer will be a rare commodity.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Yes especially when the interest rate is 15%. Homes aren't usually bought with your money, but someone elses you pay dearly to use. Oh yes and that yearly rent to the govermnent. We'll have the last laugh about all those speculators. The United States is bankrupt, the "sunshine dreamers" will eventually realize this and it won't be pretty. We're all in debt to the Far East.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Need-Aff,

Don't get too bent out of shape over this. Florida real estate is going to be a mess in the next few years. You will be rewarded for your patience.

Stay the course. Let every one of them call us "lazy." In a few years a true, qualified buyer will be a rare commodity.
Second that.

I see some people did not like the fact that RE median prices have been going down for the last 5-6 months and seems it is getting worse.
Every time they say it has bottomed out following month is worse

Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
First of all where would someone get the income to support these inflated prices and TAXES?
Maybe they've worked all their lives and their investments are kicking in. Maybe they have decent employment or good pension plans. I've lived in Massachusetts, Illinois, and DC and I've never lived so cheap as I live in Florida.

If you're one of the ones whining on this board, stop thinking your dream house is going to fall out of the sky and hit you on the noggin. They just won't tumble down to your level.

And what inflated taxes? We have the homestead cap. My taxes are unbelievably reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida