U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM

65 posts, read 320,990 times

Advertisements

<shaking> Excuse me, but could you please tell me exactly where you found those bugs - so that I can avoid these locations in the future. Thanks, much appreciated. <still shaking>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,163,152 times
Those bugs are all over Florida!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:14 PM

698 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Smile Don't forget daddy long legs

We have those everywhere in our house and although I grew up here I never saw them inside a home. It must be a Broward county thing. They are harmless and eat things I hate such as silverfish, so we live and let live. They are untidy and run when I clean around them to sweep away their cobwebs but are soon back in business.
I read about them on the Net and they are exactly as described. They don't grow to infestation levels at all and only the strong survive, so there's usually two or three in one spot. You can use Boric acid tabs on the silverfish but we just let nature do its work. The spiders don't bite, can't get hold of the skin. They're quite fragile and die if you even look at them wrong. lol They stay in their spot and wait for food. Our 3-yr-old daughter talks to them and pretends they are pets and isn't afraid because they aren't on the move much.
I know this is a gross conversation and I'm not crazy about bugs and insects either, but you do have to understand Florida is the perfect environment for countless creatures big and small and you will see LOTS of them both inside and out. We're not big on showering our home and lawn with poisons, so catch what you can, swat what you are afraid of and relax.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,808,765 times
The bugs make it fun, it's the two legged pests I fear most.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 27,620 times
dont know why all of a sudden there r palmetto bugs hanging around near the front door at nite and when the door gets opened we have to watch they don't sneak in..Its really BUGGIN me out

Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,808,765 times
They like to hang around warm places, it must be cool outside. Warm air comming from your doors, windows or sewer pipes attract them.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 AM

269 posts, read 964,296 times
If I had some of the problems with bugs inside the house that have been described here, my wife and daughters wouldn't let me sleep at night...I'd be up caulking every little crack in the house. We see an occasional spider in the house...a tree frog once in a while...and tiny tiny ants occasionally. We have an in-wall pest control system that is charged quarterly.

I have a chicken outside that takes care of the fire ants for me...I'll never get rid of Squeaky.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 PM

30,335 posts, read 16,831,951 times
Default Florida bugs and other critters

I have vivid memories of the various critters in Florida from when I lived in Orlando as a youngster in the late 60s / early 70s. I could remember the fire ants that built these big nests in our front lawn. Lots of mosquitoes and gnats flying around constantly. The lizards (yes, we found a couple behind the refrigerator), but they're helpful in eating the pesky bugs. The "palmetto bugs" (they were like flying cockroaches) REALLY freaked my mom out. We also found those big grasshoppers around our yard, front and back. Fortunately, I don't remember seeing those big spiders that others on this thread have mentioned.

I'm sure exterminating companies like Terminix do a brisk business down there in the Sunshine State.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 AM

Sorry to upset you about saying that the big green grasshopper things are everywhere. They don't bother you at all. They do eat the plants sometimes.
They live in alot of the State is also what I meant. You don't see them all over the place though like the plaque You see one once in a while on the poolcage or on a bush. They don't bother you, so don't worry!!
You just really have to watch out for the fire ants out in the lawns. They can give you a really bad sting.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 PM

Default What did you mean by this post Mr. T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
They're E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYWHERE!

Help! Help! Help!
You are trying to scare people away???
I also see that you were restricted for a while on here. What happened to you?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or