U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 36,094 times

Advertisements

Florida is tropical, the Palmetto bugs will even chase you if you spray them. Wasps will nest Spring to Summer on anything outside, grasshoppers spit, spiders bite, as do ants. When it rains they all head for higher ground INSIDE, Sugar ants are fun and not easy to get rid of. Snakes, Gators, Frogs, Toads, and even Catfish come inland, but the lizards eat the insects and if you like cats, you will see many of the insects (except ants) disappear and the Cat will usually alert you to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 09:09 PM

482 posts, read 1,626,150 times
Oh yes I forgot to add that we have two cats and they are expert exterminators ... but don't do ants. lol
However, the daddy long legs think they (and silverfish) are simply yummy.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM

16 posts, read 36,094 times
Yup, they do love bugs don't they?? Mine loves to chase, swat, and eliminate. Haven't seen a Plametto Bug since I got her, oh yeah she did once bring one as a gi ft.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 5,924,829 times
Lived in Florida for 22 years and never had but one insect problem - the first year in our previous home....Roaches! UGH!!! Called the exterminator and haven't seen a bug since! (Except of course, those lovely love bugs that visit us in May and September - they don't bite...just cause a mess on your windshield!)

The city/county sprays for mosquitos so those aren't a problem and our pool is not screened and we often take long walks in the evenings. Once in a while a bed of ants decide to take up residence in our lawn, but a little shake of ant poison powder takes care of them in a jiffy.

I have family in South Carolina and spend a couple of weeks every summer with them - the bugs are MUCH worse there than here. We couldn't even swim at my sister's house this summer because the bugs were so bad - we've never had that problem here. I guess Orlando does a good job of spraying.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 44,610 times
>>We also have large and I mean large green/orange grasshoppers. They are as big as the palm of your hand!>>

I love those! They look like little sculptures... they don't look real!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 53,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connielynreturns View Post
Florida is tropical, the Palmetto bugs will even chase you if you spray them. Wasps will nest Spring to Summer on anything outside, grasshoppers spit, spiders bite, as do ants. When it rains they all head for higher ground INSIDE, Sugar ants are fun and not easy to get rid of. Snakes, Gators, Frogs, Toads, and even Catfish come inland, but the lizards eat the insects and if you like cats, you will see many of the insects (except ants) disappear and the Cat will usually alert you to them
My loves to attack bugs too. I spent $80 on average per month on bug sprays, bug pastes, etc, because I HATE and depise cockroaches. They **** me off. I spent money on exterminators and the issue is keeping the bugs outside. My place is super clean, but still the darned bugs climb under the doors through the little rubber thing on the bottom of the doors (I think). I spray the outside of the outside doors with bugspray every week or so. It really helps.

The gators are everywhere. In Orlando, the new construction forces gators to move into resided/populated areas, so we often see gators in ponds where kids play. That is relaity here, we share the space with gators. Shoot a gator to save your son's life and some hotshot prosecutor might come after you and charge you with a felony (meaning 5 years in prison). Gators eat people from time to time, specially dogs playing near ponds. If you get bitten, you need medical attention ASAP because of tetanus. Call the Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 1-866-FWC-GATOR (1-866-392-4286) if you see a gator near your home or near where kids play.

We went out last nigh and there was a brown spider in my car. Mind you, I don't live out in the sticks, but bugs like to get into stuff.

This is FL bugs are here to stay, no escaping that. I hate roaches, but the rest I can kinda deal with.... oh the Lovebugs.... OMG they ruin cars if you don't wash them. Totally danger-free/harmless bugs, but they splatter all over the windshield and pain and mess it up BAD!! On SR-417 when you go over Lake Jessup from April to October after 4PM, there are swams of bugs there and you need to go to the car wash after going through that area. GRRRR... it's $5/per wash!!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,909 times
I was born and raised in Florida and have never had a problem with bugs until the last five years when we bought some land with an old home and a barn on it. The last owners apparently allowed a flea infestation to occur inside the home but we easily took care of that with a couple flea bombs and haven't had fleas since. Out in the barn we have large brown spiders (wolf spiders I think) but they are more of an asset than an nuisance. They take care of the other unwanted insects and vermin that come into the barn. The cobwebs are a pain and make the place look like a mess, but you get use to it after a while.

When the Tri Hurricanes came through back in '04 they also brought Red Ants and Fire Ants to our property. Before than we did not have a problem with ants, now we do. Once a colony arrives it is difficult to get rid of. Though be forewarned, any flooded area that once had a colony will still have that colony while the area is flooded. They can be found as a floating ball of ants, I nearly stepped on one while inspecting my pasture fences that year. Ant Balls are NOT fun. I believe a Floridian actually died in '05 after Wilma passed through because he stepped on one. A few ants a human can survive easily enough, but an entire colony of them? Nope, don't think so.

So beware in flooded areas for Ant Balls.

Although Florida does have a lot of species of insects, most of them go unnoticed. Heck I did not even know we had scorpions until I read this thread which goes to show that I have never seen one in all the years I have lived here. I have yet to see an alligator too. What I DO see in Florida are the deers, the bears, otters, birds and other wildlife one would want to see.

If an arachnophobic can live in Florida, *you* can live in Florida.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
want to move to florida do they have coydogs like we do in the north country and wolfs they have attated our sheep and goats

Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 63,026 times
Get over it!!! Jees! Why are so many people afraid of bugs?! I grew up near Pgh. My parents taught me about all the insects in our yard and how beneficial each of them were and what purpose they served. I moved to Florida and spent 24 years there. Yes, the Palmetto Bugs are huge and try to invade your house. Just put roach hotels in the kitchen and bathrooms. That takes care of them. Then I moved to North Georgia - more bugs here than I have ever seen. Larger and more numerous. You just learn to deal with it. They aren't something to be afraid of.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM

586 posts, read 532,391 times
How are the mosquitos during the day this time of year? Are they around all the time, or mostly after dark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida