Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just over tired, but this thread is the funniest thing I have ever read! The part about the tree frog that pees everytime the door slams just about killed me!

Of course, I can laugh because I don't live there anymore.

I just have to say that I love the sense of humor on the Florida forum! I think I'm starting to miss Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 60,233 times
ACK! ACK! ACK! You people are freaking me out!!!

Giant spiders???!!!!! *faints*

Seriously, I knew about all the other beasties except those giant spiders!!!!!

I found out the hard way about the giant scorpians. I have a friend that lives in central florida and she told me about the small scorpians that have a sting no worse than a wasp. So, when vacationing in the Keys for the first time, I didn't freak out to see the little buggers. And I wasn't surprised to lose the battle of the kitchen to the sugar ants either. But when a couple of giant scorpians took up residence, THAT'S when even my stoic husband freaked! Thank God for the giant Miami phone book and his good aim because no one was about to get anywhere near those beasties to kill them!

And now you are telling me (a certifiable arachnaphobic) that I somehow have missed THE GIANT PALM SIZED HAIRY SPIDERS????!!!!!

*faints again*

Old 11-29-2006, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 39,943 times
My ex-husband who was raised in Florida called them wood spiders. After doing some searching on the web, I believe they are actually called wolf spiders.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_position.jpg

Get rid of the (broken link) to see the picture. It keeps coming up on its own.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Im not from Florida, but Im an avid arachnologist (amateur---just a hobby) and thought Id chime in here. Florida has 2 species of scorpions: Centruroides hentzi (small sized species) and Centruroides gracilis (medium sized species). Neither are considered lethal, but just be careful if you have elderly people living with you or infants. Theyre very beneficial to have around and do more good than any harm you may think. They also prey heavily upon cockroaches, which is a good thing. A sting from one of these species feels like a wasp sting, just local systemic effects, usually nothing more than that.

Spiders: Florida is home to several large true spiders and one species of tarantula (introduced from Mexico). The ONLY spiders you should worry about are Loxoceles reclusa (brown recluse) and Latrodectus species (mactans and geometricus) aka Black widows. Brown recluse spiders inject a cytotoxic venom, which destroys skin tissue and causes nasty lesions that can spread, sometimes leading to amputation. Widows inject a neurotoxic venom which affects the central nervous system, which can cause heart/respiratory failure. However, death from widow bites are rare, and youre most likely to just suffer flu-like symptoms for a day or two following a bite.

The tarantula species that inhabits parts of Florida is the Brachypelma vagans. Theyre large (up to 6.5" leg spans) and hairy, but are usually docile as a dog. Ive kept several as pets and handled them w/o issue. Bites can be painful, but they WONT kill you. Noone has EVER died from a tarantula bite, so there is absolutely no need to be afraid. Theyre wonderful critters with an undeserved bad rep. This particular species has jet black velvet legs with a fiery red abdomen, theyre really beautiful!

I will post some pictures below to help you identify these creatures. All of them want nothing to do with you, if you get bit or stung its more than likely because it felt threatened by your presence. The best thing you can do is check towels, bed sheets, shoes, etc. They love a dark hiding space and what better place than the above mentioned? Also, dont leave clothes, etc on the floor, its just an open invitation for them.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 AM

Here is a Latrodectus mactans (Southern black widow). As young adults, they have a red stripe on the abdomen and the classic hourglass underneath. As they molt (shed skin) they lose this stripe. Only females are potentially lethal, male bites are 100% harmless. Their webs are easy to spot as they are very messy and jagged and zig-zag all over the place, and theyre very strong (one of the strongest spider silk in the world). Here is a female that I keep. Note the red dots on her back, those will disappear as she matures:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Highexposurewidowsideview.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/closeupoffreshlyshedwidow10-4-06.jpg (broken link)

Here is a large palm-sized fishing spider. Therye harmless, dont be afraid. This one was found up here in Illinois. They like to live near rivers and streams to eat nuisance bugs:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/1038.jpg (broken link)

Here is another sub-adult Latrodectus mactans (taken in Missouri) in its natural habitat. I have found they love to build their webs in and around flat surfaces, mainly rocks and leaf litter:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Latrodectusvariolusinbetweencrackin.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Ok, now on the the brown recluse (Loxoceles reclusa)... AKA the "fiddler" spider, the "fiddle back" spider and the "violin" spider. Here youll see why. Look at the head. Note the darkened area looks like a violin or a fiddle? If you see this unmistakable marking, its a recluse. If it doesnt have this, the spider is harmless. And dont fear, a recluse cant kill you, it can leave horrid scars, and any suspected recluse bite should be taken with caution and a trip to the hospital would be best just in case. Try and capture the spider in a jar to take with you for a proper ID. But Im hoping with this post and pictures you should be able to properly ID them.

One other distinctive feature recluses have is that they are the only spider to have 6 eyes instead of 8. Here is a freshly molted recluse from Kansas. Note the eyes are grouped in 3 sets of 2 eyes. Its very pale because it had just shed its skin.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/moltedL.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Here is a "garden spider" or a "banana spider". They belong to the Argiope genus. Although large, theyre harmless. Dont be so quick to kill them. They might creep some of you out, but theyre as gentle as a kitten. Leave them around if you hate cockroaches and other nuisances...
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/BransonMOagriopeofsorts.jpg (broken link)

Florida is also home to one species of "tailless whipscorpions". These alien-like critters are also 100% harmless, but might scare some of you. If you find one in your house, cup it with something and take it outside, try not to kill them.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/5d39ad2b.jpg (broken link)

Also, Florida is home to a few giant centipede species (Scolopendra alternans and Scolopendra viridis come to mind) that look menacing, but wont kill you. Venomous snakes also call Florida home, here are a few names you should Google and learn more about, they probably call your backyard home. Agkistrodon contortrix (copperhead), Agkistrodon piscivorus (cottonmouth), Crotalus adamanteus (Eastern diamondback rattlesnake) and perhaps Sistrurus miliarius species (pygmy rattlesnakes).

If you have any questions let me know.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:34 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
My girlfriend got bit by a Brown Recluse this past summer....didn't go to the hospital till three days later due to the increasing size of the bite...started small and ended up looking like a dartboard imprint....not fun....and yes, they can cause amputation. Due to the poison, sometimes the wound heals and returns...weird....

As for scorpions....we caught one at my work, out on Longboat Key...came from next door, where a developer was building 3million dollar condos where the old Holiday Inn used to be...disturbed the creature's habitat...it was black...and a little different than the desert dwelling kind of scorpion, but I woulnd't want to step on it in the dark!

Wolf spiders...oh my god, been here since 1991 and saw my first one this summer....they look just like tarantulas...and they can dissapear into the thinnest crack in the wall and yet they can be as big as the palm of your hand....no thank you....

Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 36,921 times
We have wolf spiders in NY (had one living in my bedroom window for awhile). Spiders don't bother me - I have a chilean rose hair tarantula - started out easy I'll be relocating from NY to FL in the spring and I can't wait to see what we find down there! I have a pic of...I believe a golden orb spider...from my last trip to Siesta Key, but it's too big to post right now. I'll have to trim it down. What a great looking spider!

Are there any laws against certain animals as pets in Florida? (ex - Ferrets are not allowed in California, Snakes are not allowed in Hawaii)

Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 60,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im not from Florida, but Im an avid arachnologist (amateur---just a hobby) and thought Id chime in here. Florida has 2 species of scorpions: Centruroides hentzi (small sized species) and Centruroides gracilis (medium sized species). Neither are considered lethal, but just be careful if you have elderly people living with you or infants. Theyre very beneficial to have around and do more good than any harm you may think. They also prey heavily upon cockroaches, which is a good thing. A sting from one of these species feels like a wasp sting, just local systemic effects, usually nothing more than that.

Spiders: Florida is home to several large true spiders and one species of tarantula (introduced from Mexico). The ONLY spiders you should worry about are Loxoceles reclusa (brown recluse) and Latrodectus species (mactans and geometricus) aka Black widows. Brown recluse spiders inject a cytotoxic venom, which destroys skin tissue and causes nasty lesions that can spread, sometimes leading to amputation. Widows inject a neurotoxic venom which affects the central nervous system, which can cause heart/respiratory failure. However, death from widow bites are rare, and youre most likely to just suffer flu-like symptoms for a day or two following a bite.

The tarantula species that inhabits parts of Florida is the Brachypelma vagans. Theyre large (up to 6.5" leg spans) and hairy, but are usually docile as a dog. Ive kept several as pets and handled them w/o issue. Bites can be painful, but they WONT kill you. Noone has EVER died from a tarantula bite, so there is absolutely no need to be afraid. Theyre wonderful critters with an undeserved bad rep. This particular species has jet black velvet legs with a fiery red abdomen, theyre really beautiful!

I will post some pictures below to help you identify these creatures. All of them want nothing to do with you, if you get bit or stung its more than likely because it felt threatened by your presence. The best thing you can do is check towels, bed sheets, shoes, etc. They love a dark hiding space and what better place than the above mentioned? Also, dont leave clothes, etc on the floor, its just an open invitation for them.
Thank you Steve-o. And before my hyperventilating at your lovely pics makes me pass out, can you tell me just how widespread these *gulp* arachnids (poisonious and non) are? Are they found statewide? Are you less likely to meet up with them in more settled areas as opposed to newer developments?

Frankly, after seeing those pics, Anarctica is sounding like paradise right now!!! *shudders*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida