Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,198,679 times

Advertisements

Nope, I doubt that many will leave. They complain during the wintertime and think of leaving, but then when April comes, they're back to bashing Florida--"too hot", "too flat", "no culture", "rude, materialistic people", "you have to drive everywhere", "too conservative and redneck", etc etc etc. People up here in the Northeast just love to complain and be in a perpetual state of misery. They whine and complain about being here, but don't wanna leave and change their life for the better. I can't tell you how many people here said to me "Why did you leave San Diego for here?" Many of these people can afford to move from Philly (which they act like they despise), the town they were born and raised in, but never leave. Heck, they barely vacation anywhere outside of the Eastern Seaboard or Western Europe! I can't wait to leave this ****hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:58 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm thinking its already too late as so many on the site have raved about what a paradise Florida is, sunny days spent on the beaches, warm weather,amusement parks every weekend,no snow or cold,best move we ever made etc,for those up north the glowing accolades havent gone unnoticed and as a result down they come to get away from those horrible northern climates
trying to dissuade the migration to Florida by mentioning negatives is immediately viewed as hating and bashing the state and the poster is usually vigorously attacked and invited to go elsewhere,
Just as the tide comes in, it will eventually recede ...

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,907,466 times
funny, they pass right over place like the Carolinas and TN.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,173 times
8to32characters;
"Middle and upper-middle class individuals and families from the Northeast seem to gravitate more towards Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Phoenix-Scottsdale whereas FL, OTOH, tends to absorb more of a working-class element from the Northeast. Lots of Northeast transplants in FL are from Central and Southeastern MA, RI, Upstate NY, and Central and Western PA as well as the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx and their adjacent suburbs."

Sorry, but these statements are so muddled I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

For one, many working class people can't afford to retire ... period, much less in SoFla.
My experience is that the vast majority of resident retirees are either solidly middle-class transplants, or even better-off snowbirds. I don't know any nor'easter that retired to SoCal unless they went to be near family. We are even seeing a small, but not insignificant number of Californians in Palm Beach County nowadays who find themselves priced out of their own state. Whodathunk?

And I have yet to meet a working class stiff who migrated from Pottsville NY to Boca Raton! (no offense to Pottsville... just sayin')

Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 PM

734 posts, read 919,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Funny, since the Carolinas recently overtook Florida as the #1 retirement destination.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:49 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,619,015 times
Quote:
Not all of them. A lot are moving to the Triangle for jobs. Wake County recently passed 1 million in population. A lot of retirees are moving to the mountains of NC and TN. I kind of want things to slow down now before it gets too crowded.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Funny, since the Carolinas recently overtook Florida as the #1 retirement destination.
different group of retirees.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Not all of them. A lot are moving to the Triangle for jobs. Wake County recently passed 1 million in population. A lot of retirees are moving to the mountains of NC and TN. I kind of want things to slow down now before it gets too crowded.

And also, as you know, its a different kind of retiree too. Some folks are drawn to FL, and some to the Carolina's and for different reasons.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:09 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,116,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
These types are well represented in most of the state.
Says you.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,619,015 times
Quote:
And also, as you know, its a different kind of retiree too. Some folks are drawn to FL, and some to the Carolina's and for different reasons.
I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida