Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

You arent alone Jo48, many of us can handle a few months of cold and snow a lot better than we can handle 8+ months of Floridas heat and humidity,That said Florida is a great place for a couple of weeks of mid winter vacation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
I handled this better 20 years ago before I moved south(plus I was 24). I have gone 3 winters now, and that's enough for us. I am home now for the day, why? Because Sunday while moving this white garbage I aggravated my sciatic nerve yet again. AND on top of it, my right shoulder keeps popping. Yeah I will take the 100 degree humidity now. Forget this, I'll enjoy one more New England Spring, summer, and fall, then SEE YA!!!!!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
As always, to each his own. Folks ought to be able to live where they are happy. It's as simple as that.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As always, to each his own. Folks ought to be able to live where they are happy. It's as simple as that.
This is very true. Hey, if I had the money I would be an annoying snowbird. But I'm not. I'll just come here to MA for vacation.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
This is very true. Hey, if I had the money I would be an annoying snowbird. But I'm not. I'll just come here to MA for vacation.
LOL, maybe if I had the money ( and a husband who didn't drag his feet and show such passive resistance at doing anything outside of sitting in his recliner) I'd do that too. Only I guess I'd be a reverse snowbird as I've lived in Florida for many years. And I'm not set on one location to spend the summers, I'd have to visit a number of places, but hey, that's fun too.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:11 PM

239 posts, read 326,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Middle and upper-middle class individuals and families from the Northeast seem to gravitate more towards Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Phoenix-Scottsdale whereas FL, OTOH, tends to absorb more of a working-class element from the Northeast. Lots of Northeast transplants in FL are from Central and Southeastern MA, RI, Upstate NY, and Central and Western PA as well as the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx and their adjacent suburbs.

Thing is, most working-class people in the Northeast have never even been to AZ or CA, but most have been to FL whether on a Disney vacation as a child and/or to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Daytona Beach on spring break, so FL tends to be trotted territory for these folks. In many cases, FL is the only place outside of the Northeast these folks have ever traveled to. Not to mention that AZ and CA aren't really on the radar of many working-class people in Northeast to begin with due to a strong inclination towards small-mindedness. As someone who grew up in working-class area of RI who has lived in FL, AZ, and now CA, these are the top complaints I've heard regarding CA and AZ, respectively:

CA:
1. Too far away
2. Too expensive
3. Too liberal
4. Too many gay people, Mexicans, and illegal immigrants

AZ:
1. Too dry/going to run out of water
2. Too hot
3. Non-coastal
4. Too many Mexicans and illegal immigrants

Finally, most working-class people from the Northeast and their family and friends left behind wouldn't be able to afford traveling back and forth from AZ or CA, since bi-coastal flights can be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention you can't jump in the car and be in AZ or CA in less than 24 hours.
I come from bluecollar roots and I am from the Northeast yet I still ended up in California. But only because my mom made a lot of money a yr and defintely her new husband she was going to marry out there so I came but I was VERY out of place. I fit in more in FL just due to that alone and the fact theres beaches everywhere HERE.

When I went to Wellesley MA for instance ok, you say the upper class of MA tend to retire in California ok and that makes perfect sense. Wellesley or Needham looks like Orange County or heavily upper class suburban CA or its the closest thing you will get to California for Massachusetts in mentality so by default, THEY FIT IN THERE. In fact I felt even Chelmsford High had more of a snobby suburban vibe also, as if you could have been in Cali. SO THERE.

I was always lower class in mentality, its just when I was tagging along living with my mom, I often moved to places SHE wanted so I hated it even more and I didnt fit in, couldnt make friends for crap.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 PM

239 posts, read 326,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
funny, they pass right over place like the Carolinas and TN.
Because it snows and its too much "like the real south".

Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Nothin wrong with a little snow and the real south!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida