U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 19,940 times

Advertisements

actually Mike, you didn't do very well at all. I invested in building this home for resale..when i closed on it the appraisal was $320,000.00...since i am a responsible person i actually moved into it so it would not be destroyed as the abandoned homes around it. Believe me, i never thought i was moving to paradise in lehigh but i also didn't think a $320,000.00 home was low rent in paradise..it's called housing crisis. My home was listed and sold for asking price in two weeks after I got to the point that my families safety was worth more than the beating i took on the house...ownward and upward won't stop me from investing again, just not in lehigh acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,427,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I think finding a safe place to live is critical BECAUSE of the likelihood of hurricanes knocking out services. People don't evacuate every time that there is a threat of a storm. If you choose "to ride it out", and law and order goes out the window, your surroundings become very important!
Hurricanes occur 3 months out of the year, crime can occur 24/7. Not to mention that an acutally damaging hurricane hasn't hit Manatee/Sarasota in years. I'll take my chances with the hurricanes, I prefer everyday safety.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM

320 posts, read 1,006,814 times
I feel very safe in Fort Myers. I use to live in southern NJ and went to college in Philadelphia.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:14 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,245,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I feel very safe in Fort Myers. I use to live in southern NJ and went to college in Philadelphia.
That seems to be a theme. People that do well there seem to come from fast-paced areas with high crime. That very well may explain the rudeness in the area, too. (I don't mean that YOU are rude, Chicken Wing. Quite the contrary.)

Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,514,505 times
Talk about ruda jerks.... Today i am driving back home from Walmart in naples. I am doing the 55mph speed limit on 41 like normal. This idiot in a Kia Amanti(maybe that is why he is miserable) behind me yells.... And I laugh at this.... "Hey snowbird go home"...... LOL!!!!!!!! Must be my Patriots, Red Sox, and MA plate on my truck. He yells this crap out as he went by me FOR NO REASON. I of course laughed, gave him a thumbs up, and then flipped the bird. I hate people. i am so sick of these people down here.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM

320 posts, read 1,006,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Talk about ruda jerks.... Today i am driving back home from Walmart in naples. I am doing the 55mph speed limit on 41 like normal. This idiot in a Kia Amanti(maybe that is why he is miserable) behind me yells.... And I laugh at this.... "Hey snowbird go home"...... LOL!!!!!!!! Must be my Patriots, Red Sox, and MA plate on my truck. He yells this crap out as he went by me FOR NO REASON. I of course laughed, gave him a thumbs up, and then flipped the bird. I hate people. i am so sick of these people down here.
Ummm....maybe he was yelling because you had a tail light out?

I try not to get into with drivers down here because you never know who's packing heat, but I have noticed that the driving down here is considerably worse. The biggest problems being switching lanes without a signal and switching lanes in too narrow of spaces.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
in a Kia Amanti(maybe that is why he is miserable)
lol

Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,514,505 times
Quote:

I try not to get into with drivers down here because you never know who's packing heat, but I have noticed that the driving down here is considerably worse. The biggest problems being switching lanes without a signal and switching lanes in too narrow of spaces.
Yeah, I usually try to ignore idiots like that, but today I just couldn't. I think blinkers are optional in most cars sold in FL, not many people use them.

I can't wait to get my brother in laws MA plate off my truck next week, so I am not confused with a snowbird. I think after 15 years here I may be a full time resident...LOL.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,245,506 times
Quote:
Yeah, I usually try to ignore idiots like that, but today I just couldn't. I think blinkers are optional in most cars sold in FL, not many people use them.

I can't wait to get my brother in laws MA plate off my truck next week, so I am not confused with a snowbird. I think after 15 years here I may be a full time resident...LOL.
Plus you are not old enough to be a snowbird. He needs to see an optometrist.

I'm sorry. A few rude jerks a couple times a year is fine. Running into at least one every time you go out gets on your nerves after awhile.

I kid you not when I tell you that in the last year that I lived in Lee County I avoided going out at all costs. I was actually getting weird. It was a big deal for me to drive to Tennessee. My desperation was the only thing that kept me going. When I got here it took a long time to calm down. Thank goodness the people were patient and kind. To know me now, you would never think that I got like that. I am outgoing and love people. If I can make you laugh then I am happy. But Fort Myers almost did me in.

And I'm from the northeast, so I don't expect people to be all sweetness and light. But those people down there were more than rude. They were aggressive. Perhaps senile. Angry. As long as I live, I never wish to go back to that.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times
Quote:

No kidding, no one knows what a turn signal is. You also have to remember FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

They never impound cars here so there is no incentive to get it.

Orlando, Tampa, Miami, and then Jacksonville are the most deadly cities for pedestrians, what does that tell ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or