Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times

Advertisements

[quote=TimtheGuy;2473831]Here is a more realistic lay out of our seasons:

Dec, Jan, Feb, March-Winter (4 months)
Apr, May-Spring (2 months)
June, July, August-Summer (3 1/2months)
Sept, Oct, Nov Fall (2 1/2 months) (hardly 20 minutes and just a beautiful season!)QUOTE]

Umm...where do you live again? I would love to live there. Those seasons seem to be perfect. Like clock work.

Where I am, we had three snowstorms that killed our spring flowers last APRIL, unseasonable warm weather in October and the beginning of November which prevented most of the beauty of fall leaves, snow and ice storms just this past MID-November (yes only about a week and a half after the warm weather), and now 60 degree days in January (which will plunge soon, the weather man has assured me).

I wish all of the seasons here were as predictable as where you live, maybe then I could do more outside, too. You just never know what you're going to get here, so you can't plan. That's what I hate about it. If it's spring, we should have spring weather, not snow. If it's fall, we should have fall weather, not snow and ice, if it's winter, then let it be winter and don't tease us with a warm 60 degree day that we can't plan for.

Seems to me to be a reasonable wish.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Imagine how much the heat and humidity affect the elderly with their respiratory issues, not to mention heat stroke, etc. Being in extreme heat is more dangerous than being in extreme cold.
Orlando might be extreme heat to you but I have endured MUCH worse in Texas. I have been in 100 degree weather daily for a month at a time and I have yet to see anything that bad here.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

This is a link to what the average temperatures REALLY are for Orlando.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
I have to disagree. I think BOTH are just as dangerous to elderly people. My father can't function outside the house in winter here as well as the summer. He has acute asthma. Any kind of extreme temp can set off breathing problems.
Although, I have asthma too and I find I use my inhaler more in the winter than in the summer.
When I was in Florida a few years back there was a bad heat wave at the end of May. They kept saying on the radio that they were having August-like weather in May. Don't remember the exact temp but I know it was very high. The humidity was unreal, but I'm glad I got the chance to experience it. Yeah, I felt like I needed to go into my shower to 'dry' off, but I wasn't wheezing and my chest wasn't tight. I definitely wouldn't want to do anything outside in it though.
Well, everyone is different and there is not one 'truth'. I have asthma and am much worse in the extreme heat. You can not say that one is true for all people. I also think the risk of heat stroke, heart attack, etc. are concerning for the elderly but then again, I guess slipping on the ice and breaking a leg is more of an issue up north. I think with cold, at least you can layer up and get comfortable, with heat, you can not walk around naked!
Each to his own, I guess. Live where you are healthier.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Orlando might be extreme heat to you but I have endured MUCH worse in Texas. I have been in 100 degree weather daily for a month at a time and I have yet to see anything that bad here.

I do not live in Orlando, I live in Southwest Florida, it is extreme heat to me. I am sure living on the equator is probably even hotter but I don't live there!

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 PM

70 posts, read 243,594 times
I love the 4 seasons especially in Maryland or the mid-atlantic area where i'm from.....i miss wearing the different clothing......i miss the beautiful countryside with the changing leaves...very beautiful....almost breathtaking....i feel like i'm on a long vacation but not really because i'm not enjoying myself like i should

Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,841 times
i love the heat.crank up the a/c after a very hot day and an ice cold beer hit's the spot.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Imagine how much the heat and humidity affect the elderly with their respiratory issues, not to mention heat stroke, etc. Being in extreme heat is more dangerous than being in extreme cold.

I`m sure it is just as dangerous to be in Antarctica as the Sahara desert. either extreme is bad.

I don`t care how much you bundle up in Antarctica you will freeze to death it gets 80 to 100 below zero.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Quote:
How is it bad for your health?

I am healthier here then I have been elsewhere, Dallas/Fort Worth or near Boston.

I RARELY take medication for pain and I no longer get really sick at least once a year with respiratory problems.

The sunlight keeps me more cheerful.
Hey Lindsey,

I am just teasing about that.

I am sick of the sore throats, closed ears, sinus infections, cracked and bleeding knuckles, cold toes and feeling like the Michelin Man trying to bundle up to stay warm.

Counting down the days to finally being warm year around.

You do not know how many times I have left Ohio with a sinus infection arrived in Florida and within usually a day no more headaches etc.

I will take the 80 degree anyday. The hotter the better for me. I love it when its 80-85 and I am walking the flea markets, at the beach or just relaxing by a pool somewhere.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Hey Lindsey,

I am just teasing about that.

I am sick of the sore throats, closed ears, sinus infections, cracked and bleeding knuckles, cold toes and feeling like the Michelin Man trying to bundle up to stay warm.

Counting down the days to finally being warm year around.

You do not know how many times I have left Ohio with a sinus infection arrived in Florida and within usually a day no more headaches etc.

I will take the 80 degree anyday. The hotter the better for me. I love it when its 80-85 and I am walking the flea markets, at the beach or just relaxing by a pool somewhere.
I was worried for a moment.

If its so unhealthy to be here someone should tell the many elderly that live here. I can endure alot of other stuff but for me personally when my back hurts I can't take it. I can hardly move when I am in cold weather. I can't sleep, I can't get around very well, its just awful. I can imagine as you get older, it gets worse. Alot of the elderly to leave here in the summer and return to the place they were from originally, I don't know the percentages but from what I hear its pretty high the fluctuation in population.

The hottest I have been here is nothing compared to Texas, I admit thats an extreme example if you have never lived through a Texas summer. Its something like I would imagine h e l l being. The only time I really had a hard time breathing from my asthma here was when it was so hot AND we were having fires. No two ways about it, the combination of the humidity and the smoke was more then I could take.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 AM

497 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:

And here is what people really care about...the monthly average high and low temps...This is for Orlando...lots of other cities in Florida and throughout the US are here too... National - Average Maximum Temperature (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/maxtemp.html - broken link)

Highs
Jan: 70.8
Feb: 72.7
Mar: 78.0
Apr: 83.0
May: 87.8
Jun: 90.5
Jul: 91.5
Aug: 91.5
Sep: 89.7
Oct: 84.6
Nov:78.5
Dec: 72.9
Annual: 82.6

National - Average Minimum Temperature (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/mintemp.html - broken link)
Lows
Jan: 48.6
Feb: 49.7
Mar: 55.2
Apr: 59.4
May: 65.9
Jun: 71.8
Jul: 73.1
Aug: 73.4
Sep: 72.4
Oct: 65.8
Nov: 57.5
Dec: 51.3
Annual: 62.0

I consider that NICE!!! Compare that to my home town of Portland Maine:

Highs
Jan: 30.3
Feb: 33.1
Mar: 41.4
Apr: 52.3
May: 63.2
Jun: 72.7
Jul: 78.8
Aug: 77.4
Sep: 69.3
Oct: 58.7
Nov: 47.0
Dec: 35.1
Annual: 54.9

Lows
Jan: 11.4
Feb: 13.5
Mar: 24.5
Apr: 34.1
May: 43.4
Jun: 52.1
Jul: 58.3
Aug: 57.1
Sep: 48.9
Oct: 38.3
Nov: 30.4
Dec: 17.8
Annual: 35.8

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida