Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 01:53 PM

648 posts, read 517,604 times

Advertisements

I’ve looked at many gated communities in Florida - not necessarily because that’s what I want. It just seems to be the thing in FL. Some are manned, others are not. Some of the ones that are not have entry stickers on resident cars for automatic access, plus a keypad. Others have only a keypad. For the non man gated communities where I saw houses, my realtor would often give me the key code for the house we’d go see. It got me thinking - for such communities, after a while isn’t the fact that it’s gated effectively become meaningless? Visitors get key codes to come in. Friends get key codes to come in. Lawn service and other services get key codes to come in. Before you know it tons of people who don’t live in the neighborhood have a way to open the gates. Am I missing something? It just got me scratching my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 02:05 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Or along those same lines, the gates won't close on a moving vehicle so you only need to wait 'til a resident enters and then you pull up right behind them and if the gate senses you, it won't close and you can scoot right in.

I wouldn't say they're totally useless as they provide *some* barrier to entry but where there is a will, there is a way and if criminals wanted to get in they could fairly easily.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:07 PM

205 posts, read 241,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I’ve looked at many gated communities in Florida - not necessarily because that’s what I want. It just seems to be the thing in FL. Some are manned, others are not. Some of the ones that are not have entry stickers on resident cars for automatic access, plus a keypad. Others have only a keypad. For the non man gated communities where I saw houses, my realtor would often give me the key code for the house we’d go see. It got me thinking - for such communities, after a while isn’t the fact that it’s gated effectively become meaningless? Visitors get key codes to come in. Friends get key codes to come in. Lawn service and other services get key codes to come in. Before you know it tons of people who don’t live in the neighborhood have a way to open the gates. Am I missing something? It just got me scratching my head.
This is always a problem with gated communities. Tons of people get the code. Reason enough to change the code a much possible. Human gate/guard shacks are the best way to go. I prefer the Key Fob method, but yes, it's an ongoing problem.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
We'll listen to the police scanner from time to time, and I've heard dispatch give a LEO or emergency vehicle the emergency access code for a gate over an open frequency. Even for communities that don't normally let just any pizza delivery driver able to punch a keypad just drive right into the cul-de-sac.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:10 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Not all gated communities are "actual" gated communities. There are communities that have gates - but are not gated communities. The Villages is one of those. The gates are primarily traffic control. It is an enormous golf car community, and the golf cart paths wind and traverse the entirety of around 70 square miles of property. The roads cut through those paths, and so they have created tunnels for the carts to go under main intersections, bridges to get to entirely different villages within the community, and gates to allow time for the golf carts to cross entrances and exits of various villages. They mean the car has to stop (otherwise they'd crash into the gate). It requires drivers to pay attention.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:37 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
It's largely a false sense of security to have a gate unless it's manned. You'll often see cars come in on the tail of someone with the code, so not exactly much of a deterrent. Also as mentioned unless changing that code frequently (would guess most don't) everyone and their brother could wind up with it given the number of delivery and trades folks coming/going.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:14 AM

469 posts, read 466,525 times
I think I the non manned gates provide a false sense of security. Anyone can enter them. Also, when I lived in a gated community our HOA was responsible for the cost of paving the streets. My current neighborhood isn't gated and the street pavement costs are paid via county taxes.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:09 PM

648 posts, read 517,604 times
I called the management agency for the HOA of the neighborhood I’m interested in. They issue a new code when a new resident moves in, removes the old code, does the keypad call thing to the resident to their cell phone for access, and does a separate code (or codes) for service access that changes every 3 months. So it’s not man gated, but it’s not as lackadaisical as it could have been.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:26 PM

205 posts, read 241,448 times
About as good as it gets Tony. Gonna pull the trigger?

Old 04-21-2020, 02:48 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I called the management agency for the HOA of the neighborhood I’m interested in. They issue a new code when a new resident moves in, removes the old code, does the keypad call thing to the resident to their cell phone for access, and does a separate code (or codes) for service access that changes every 3 months. So it’s not man gated, but it’s not as lackadaisical as it could have been.
My own community not only follows those procedures, there are actually 2 gates -- a rolling wrought iron gate and a single arm barrier gate that closes after each car. There's also a camera reading license plates to catch those attempting to sneak in behind another vehicle. Between the single arm gate, the posted sign about the video camera and the actual camera, it gets most visitors to our community to adhere to the policies regarding access.

I agree about the security issues that can be created by having gate codes that get passed out way too easily. And, for the record, shen showing I always let buyers in first, then myself, rather than give buyers a gate code for access.

One other thing people may not realize about manned gates at community entrances. Not all gated communities actually have private roads. If the roads are considered public, the guard at that gate HAS to let you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida