Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 'QUAKES or 'CANES? Lesser of the two evils?
Earthquakes 7 20.00%
Hurricanes 28 80.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times

Advertisements

its better to die instantly in an earthquake than to have a couple of days notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHMullane View Post

Hurricanes on the other hand... 1. lots of notice which creates anxiety;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
it is good to have preparation time for a hurricane especially if you have multiple pets to take care of. an earthquake would be worse because you have no control on what you can do to protect everyone.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is good to have preparation time for a hurricane especially if you have multiple pets to take care of. an earthquake would be worse because you have no control on what you can do to protect everyone.
Earthquake prep is done ahead of time: proper construction techniques, don't put heavy items on high shelves without securing them, attach easily tipped furniture items like bookshelves to a nearby wall. Have the usual water, batteries, flashlights, etc at the ready. Know what to do during a quake. Not much to prepare for, really. Control is an illusion. You have no more control over freak structural failures during an earthquake than you do over a hurricane spawning a tornado that scores a direct hit on your house.

Another plus, earthquakes don't cause flooding, which is one of the major causes of hurricane injury, not to mention the disease factor of all that standing water during a hot Florida summer.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 54,727 times
I lived in Gulf Breeze, FL when Ivan came. 2 minutes from the beach. HOURS of HELL. I never want to be in another one again. My *** is heading North. But wouldn't want to be in an earthquake. Both are petty bad. But that is what happens in FL. I love FL and will never move. So therefore I deal with it. I was in two other hurricans other then Ivan. And Ivan was very bad.

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-10-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Please do not use red, thank you.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 17,277 times
WELCOME BACK. yeah, I was in 2 earthquakes in seattle in the 90's no where ta run. yet we had a slew of the (hurricanes) crisscross the state one year and people were trying to get to central fl to be safe and that is where most of them crossed. look at hurricane Charley, first it was Tampa bay, then Mannatee co to the south as it got closer to port charlette the thing slammed them. i had to go down there and help the with the recovery effort. scarred me and i was born here. we get another andrew and me and my R.V. is goin ta kansas! yikes!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 PM

10 posts, read 17,277 times
"do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt. heck i ride my motorcycle everyday in fl! just driving with these freaks down here scares ya. most of the drivers on the road are not from Florida. your chance of getting injured or killed durring the snowbird season is insane. much less the off season.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I've lived in both states. Florida is better because you get a couple of days notice that you should think about leaving (for a hurricane).

There is no notice with an earthquake. The big ones are scary when they happen and then the aftershocks are scary too.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
Let's see Hurricane I have advance notice and if I chose to ignore evacuation warnings and die in the storm that's my fault.

Let's see earthquake I have no advance warning and no where to hide. Well guess I'm staying in Florida.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM

88 posts, read 413,827 times
I've liven in regions where I have experienced more than my share of both earthquakes and canes (Ca, HI, and FL). Neither are more of a big deal than the other. Hurricanes are a bit more nerve racking just because you know its coming (so you have time to increase anxiety) and the actual action last much longer.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
Anxiety wont kill you faster than being crushed on a double decker highway when your headed to work as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida