U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,155,696 times

Advertisements

Bugs, Heat and the things about Florida that come with the terroritory don't bother me. My bug problem is minimal thanks to the Geckos, Anoles and Toads, just keep them well fed around the house and they are like free pest control. The **** cleans up with a broom and hose, now the Iguanas they are a different thing, totally useless against insects and eat flowers. Their **** can contain salmonella not good.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM

467 posts, read 1,547,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
CURT - I understand your point about making generalized statements. However I think you've missed the reason why these wide statements do make sense. Everyone knows that things are different for different people and not every town in Florida is exactly like what many are warning. You would have to be an utter dimwit to think any statement is truth for all places in Florida. This is a HUGE state. What you're missing and what we ('the negative' ones) are seeing, is MOST people looking to move here are NOT looking to move to some rural country town in the middle of the state where people don't lock their doors... they are looking to move to these big metro areas like Tampa, Miami, Orlando... places that are what we are describing. Is it more misleading to describe the bad things (being what we have experienced or know as truth) or just tell people it's a fricking paradise, everything is peachy, just ignore the naysayers, you will love it. I think it's rediculous how some in this forum are eager to discredit anything that's not a "glowing positive" about their beloved Florida. But as a side note to that, all the posts in this forum (neg and pos, and the bickering) reveal precisely the attitude of Florida in the metro areas...

I agree that not all jobs in Florida are low paying, but the statistical fact is that MOST jobs in FL are low paying. It's also fact that most people moving down here are not going to be paying cash for a house and need to know about this insurance BS. That may very well be the deciding factor for some.

you are speaking regarding the majority...I understand that much. I am speaking regarding the rest. Not everyone will see it all the same.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossMann View Post
my four cents !

I've lived in about 8 states or so
Florida in imperfect no doubt
Florida can be expensive no doubt
Florida has crime no doubt

I lke and prefer Florida because I can afford it, if you can't afford it I guess you move out. Try Tennessee or Mississippi and stop the complaining. Find your rainbow.

If I didn't live in Florida I would live in LaJolla or Del Mar. Everyone has their satisfaction/affordability level
Oh dude, no question here! The rich cats that can AFFORD Florida love it. The rest, the other 90% of the people have to leave, they are being forced out by crime, cost of living, stagnant wages.

Keep in mind, HURRICANES choose nor rich nor poor. Yes, the rich can put up shutters, while many of the poor cannot. But will it save your home for sure??

AHHHH....Love the FL sunshine!!! Isn't it good to look out your window and feel like you are not "imprisoned in a box"?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,571,322 times
I had these on my home in 2004 for 2 days. That's 2 days out of of 25 years.
And I hear you whining about being without electricity for 3 days. Guess what I was without for 10 days with Charlie, 5 days with Jeanne and 3 days with Frances. Do you hear me complaining. No, because these things happen. When I was growing up in SC, we often had ice storms in the winter and would be without electricity for days at a time - with freezing temps and no heat. Grow up....sometimes life is hard.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I had these on my home in 2004 for 2 days. That's 2 days out of of 25 years.
And I hear you whining about being without electricity for 3 days. Guess what I was without for 10 days with Charlie, 5 days with Jeanne and 3 days with Frances. Do you hear me complaining. No, because these things happen. When I was growing up in SC, we often had ice storms in the winter and would be without electricity for days at a time - with freezing temps and no heat. Grow up....sometimes life is hard.
pianogal,

Well said, I believe our compadre lost his sucker again and has to start whining.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I had these on my home in 2004 for 2 days.
And I hear you whining about being without electricity for 3 days. Guess what I was without for 10 days with Charlie, 5 days with Jeanne and 3 days with Frances.
Ok, that is 2 days in 2004 ONLY??? Oh please, we had almost 9 hurricane days total in FL in 2004 and 2005.

Dude, I didn't even put those up at my place. Did you enjoy not having power after the hurricanes? I bet that was fuuuuuun.

Can you post a pic of your hair days during the powerless days.... that 100% humidity must have made you look like a French Poodle!! LOL.....

Oh and by the way.... I don't think this man who lost his home think I am "whining" about the hurricanes. Lots of poeple suffered... you are blessed not to have lost your home, but guess what?? LOTS of people did. So suck it up and face the facts...

FACT: Hurricanes caused a lot of pain and if we have another bad season lots of people will suffer again.

Here is to your selfish attitude. Maybe this will be you one day... I sure hope not, but you think life is a candyland...everyone has such a nice, expensive home like you do.... yeah... forget peasants like me and the middle class folk. Forget those who can only afford a pre-fab home or a mobile home, right? Gotta love that attitude!! I know, you are the only one who matters, right?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,571,322 times
Christian, No one is being selfish. Life is not easy. The people who make it are the ones who make the best of it and go on. If you can't make it here, I understand and I'm sorry. But why come on this forum and make outlandish statements and post the same things over and over. You're not helping anybody. If you truly want to help, tell them your situation and let them decide for themselves. To continue to post all this negative stuff as if EVERYTHING in Florida is wrong only discredits anything else you say.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:41 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Default Cognitive therapy

I see and read too many negative inputs, so as a preventive tool I placed the following article about cognitive therapy. I'm researching for the ones that always think positive: I'm in the positive group....

Cognitive therapy or cognitive behavior therapy is a kind of psychotherapy used to treat depression, anxiety disorders, phobias, delusional disorder, eating disorders and other forms of mental disorders.

It involves recognizing unhelpful or destructive patterns of thinking and reacting, then modifying or replacing these with more realistic or helpful ones. Its practitioners hold that clinical depression is typically associated with negatively biased thinking and irrational thoughts. Cognitive therapy is often used in conjunction with mood stabilizing medications to treat bipolar disorder. Its application in treating schizophrenia along with medication and family therapy is recognized by the NICE guidelines (see below) within the British NHS. According to the U.S.-based National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists:

"There are several approaches to cognitive-behavioral therapy, including Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, Rational Living Therapy, Cognitive Therapy, and Dialectic Behavior Therapy

Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,948,318 times
No way, the Florida forum has problems with negativity, I thought it was only the California forum

Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM

944 posts, read 3,532,187 times
Christian, I think information like yours is why many people come to this forum. Thank you for taking the time to share your photos, stories and opinions. If I were moving I would want to see everything; the best and the worst. You are a necessary piece of the whole picture. I also love hearing from people like Tallrick and firemed.

Until you came along I was in the cross-hairs of every Florida cheerleader that had a "Pay me in sunshine!" check to cash. Thanks for taking some of the heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or