U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,901,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyProsecutor View Post
Man o Man !

my opinion/weigh-in is that if you don't like Florida for whatever reason, then there are other choices and alternatives/ it always makes me scratch my head when people move to great places like Naples, Sarasota/Manatee and people complain about housing prices ! then the same bozos tell you about how 'great' places like South Carolina or Tennessee is, which may or may not be true depending what you like and what kind of people you want to be around. Florida is not for everybody (obviously). Some people don't like the culture in the Appalachain Chain either- or the snow- or the new johnny-come-lately hillbilly milieu----there's a state for everybody ! FIND it
Right on right on, right on Mr Prosecutor sir!

Just gave you a positive

Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM

627 posts, read 2,616,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyProsecutor View Post
Man o Man !

my opinion/weigh-in is that if you don't like Florida for whatever reason, then there are other choices and alternatives/ it always makes me scratch my head when people move to great places like Naples, Sarasota/Manatee and people complain about housing prices ! then the same bozos tell you about how 'great' places like South Carolina or Tennessee is, which may or may not be true depending what you like and what kind of people you want to be around. Florida is not for everybody (obviously). Some people don't like the culture in the Appalachain Chain either- or the snow- or the new johnny-come-lately hillbilly milieu----there's a state for everybody ! FIND it
Exactly! We are all free to come and go.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:40 PM

44 posts, read 140,132 times
Whiners? How about honesty. People ask about Florida and what iit is like here. The truth hurts. We have problems that need to be dealt with. Our property taxes are almost as much as our house payment. Our insurance went up as well this year. Affordable housing is a joke, young people cannot afford to buy a house, older people on fixed incomes are getting taxed out of their homes. Why do you call this whinning? This is a huge problem. Maybe you are one of the lucky snowbirds that can afford two houses, or have a good retirement account. Most people who live here year round can hardly afford one house. The politicians wont listen to us so who better to sound off to than one another. And maybe save someone from selling everything they own and move down here only to find they cant afford to live!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 PM

518 posts, read 1,992,879 times
I don't blame anyone who lives east of I-95 in my area of South Florida for "whining" occasionally. With already high windstorm insurance rates probably being increased 118 percent here next year barring some sort of legislative fix, it's very frustrating for hard-working people to find themselves living beyond their means through no fault of their own. Yes, we can leave if we don't like it. Trouble is, many who ordinarily wouldn't think of moving are being FORCED to leave because of this state's failure to explore any windstorm insurance solution that doesn't include massive rate increases.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,750,093 times
How about increasing wages at the same percentage or property tax and insurance increases, or just give income tax credits for them. No one will "whine"then.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 AM

208 posts, read 910,915 times
Wages are the only way to make things balance out. They will definitely have to find a way to cap out the insurance and tax increases, but wages seems to be the key here. I doubt raising the minimum wage is enough.

Just out of curiousity, how is the job market in Florida, in general? Lots of unemployed, very little unemployed? Are higher paying jobs opening up?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 AM

34,587 posts, read 33,575,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I'm ashamed to be a Floridian based on what I'm reading on this board. You're all whiners... .
C'mon, we all watched Seinfeld and those episodes about Jerry's parents in Florida. It's your job to whine. It's almost expected of the older northern transplants. You're just all clumped together in Florida so the whining is louder.

It's the native Floridians, especially the young families, that are struggling and that are leaving, that's scary. I'm listening to them. I don't want my new state to turn into Florida so I want to hear what they have to say.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:38 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgrl View Post
Whiners? How about honesty. People ask about Florida and what iit is like here. The truth hurts.
Your honesty is not everyone's honesty. What may be true for you may not be true for all Floridians.

I love my brand new affordable home, my affordable insurance, and my property taxes are a bargain. I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else in this nation and find a $500,000 home with property taxes as reasonable as I have now. My a/c bill is a drop in the bucket compared to what my heating costs would be up north. I don't pay state income tax. I guess my honesty is different.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 AM

208 posts, read 910,915 times
I have one question. I want to start by saying I appreciate all angles of life in Florida since you would have to be a complete idiot to think that it's all fun and games in the Sunshine State.

That being said, do you guys think you have it worse off than any other state, in general? Or particular cities (ie. Detroit)?

I think Florida is no worse off than any other state. Now that is more indicative of the state of our national economy than it is an indictment on anyone who is considered a "whiner". I don't think you guys are whiners, I understand how much it sucks to work your tail off to have little to show. I think we need national changes just as much as state and regional, in regards to property taxes and insurance (homeowner's and medical). Time for reform!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 AM

32 posts, read 254,900 times
Sorry but I just had to laugh when I read people talking about being able to afford a $200k house on a $40k salary I'm 2 years out of college and would love to buy my first home. I make $40k, giving me $2300 net a month after taxes and health insurance. Take out a $1500 house payment, $200 in student loans(yes I worked through college full-time to help pay for tuition and living expenses), $400 for car payment and insurance...leaving me with a grand total of $200 a month for food, gasoline, phone and utility bills, clothing, medical care, entertainment, savings, etc. I haven't even included any home insurance or property taxes.

I'm moving to Florida from Baltimore because starter homes here are at $300k and wages between the two areas aren't that different.

I think its terrible the way people who already owned homes before prices shot up are judging those struggling to buy their first home. We're not all spending money frivalously or making bad decisions. My father was making close to $40k when he bought our first home....for $60k. The home is now worth quadruple that, whereas his salary hasn't even doubled in that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or