Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 15,650 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My wife and I have about had it with the cold winters, and have been seriously considering moving to Marathon Key as we have loved our vacation time there. I've done some digging, and it appears that real estate prices are much more reasonable than before the crash. I realize that insurance will be a big factor, and we are ready to accept that.

I do have a question however. With the very real possibility of hurricane evacuation and the high price of property insurance, are there any areas zoned for full time RV living? We would like to buy a plot of land, prep it for a class A motorhome, and possibly build a small outbuilding for a washer/dryer, couch, TV and desk. A deck for the motorhome would also be a very nice thing to have. In all, we would mostly live in the RV and spread out into the outbuilding when we needed more room. Should an evacuation order hit, our thoughts were to just load into the RV and head north until the danger has passed (with the vast majority of our possessions going along for the ride).

Is this feasible, or are there zoning restrictions that would make this difficult? I assume we would need flood / property insurance on the outbuilding, and I'm hoping that wouldn't be insanely expensive considering the modest nature of the structure.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,207 times
There's a place called Keys RV Park in Marathon that has any number of rv's, trailers, and hybrid buildings.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM

We were hoping for a regular property lot rather than an actual RV park. We want a fence and the ability to build an outbuilding on the property. I'm just not sure how many areas are zoned for this in Marathon (if any).

Old 02-17-2015, 04:42 AM

814 posts, read 2,032,562 times
In Monroe County Florida, If you are not in a commercially zoned RV/mobile home park you will not be able to live in your RV fulltime. Some RV parks have concrete slips of varying lengths for sale that are deeded to you. you still pay maintenance fees but own/pay taxes the actual land under your RV. Even if you own a rogo approved buildable lot you are not allowed to park an RV on the lot and live there. If you own a single family home and park an RV in the yard/driveway you are not allowed to live fulltime in the RV. not to say a lot of people ignore the law but if the powers that be want to they will shut you down quick and start giving out daily fines of at least $150 per day. They have quite a few mobile homes on their own lot/land for sale in Marathon. I would consider one of those properties with a existing "dilapidated needs work/tear down" mobile home on the lot. you can park the RV in the yard next to the mobile home. keep the mobile home in decent enough shape to call home if the city comes knocking accusing you of living full time in the mobile home. on the south side of the 7 mile bridge there is a entire key with nothing on it but a RV resort park. I believe its called Sunshine Key RV resort. Good luck trying to make the RV living a reality. Monroe County can be really hardcore when dealing with code compliance (aka enforcement) department if they see a violation.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the information. I was actually afraid that might be the case. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: