Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 PM

500 posts, read 1,168,335 times

Advertisements

Absolutely.

I do the same in winter (and we all know that "winter" in Ohio starts in November and lasts through April! lol). Work, home, hibernate, repeat. One of the big draws of my eventual Florida move is the fact that I'll be able to get out and DO things year round, instead of feeling like a lump on a log 5 months out of the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,334,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Absolutely.

I do the same in winter (and we all know that "winter" in Ohio starts in November and lasts through April! lol). Work, home, hibernate, repeat. One of the big draws of my eventual Florida move is the fact that I'll be able to get out and DO things year round, instead of feeling like a lump on a log 5 months out of the year!
Except that's what many people do here. But hopefully you do get out and enjoy the weather instead of hibernating!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:44 AM

137 posts, read 406,210 times
I never saw so many overweight people in my life until I came to Florida. I was actually very surprised by that because I figured people would be outside enjoying the weather.

I'm originally from a small town in New York near the Canadian border. A few years ago my young daughter and I were making our yearly visit and she asked me where all the fat people were. I thought it was a really funny question until I started looking around and noticed she was right.

I just have to assume it's a different way of life. I think small rural towns (the population in that one is probably a little less than 10,000) have less distractions and people are kind of forced to do things outside. The closest movie theater is about 45 minutes away and there aren't any restaurants open past 10. There has never been a time when I have walked into a restaurant and had to wait for a table. Most people cook at home and that's probably a whole lot more healthy. There are always people out walking or riding bikes. There are sidewalks on every street within the village so it is much more conducive to walking. Florida seems to be lacking in sidewalks because I see very few of them. Also, if I look at my Facebook page I notice that my northern friends are posting pictures of them skating, skiing, playing outside with the kids, fishing, water skiing, mountain climbing, kayaking, playing organized sports, etc etc. My Florida Facebook friends are usually posting pictures of their Olive Garden meal or checking into a concert or movie. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of folks here that stay active. It just seems like its more of a choice down here and it appears to be more of a way of life up there. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I go fishing, kayaking and hiking here but not as often as I should. When I visit New York, my family and I are outside doing activities from the time we get there until the time we leave and come back to Florida.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,481,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
I never saw so many overweight people in my life until I came to Florida. I was actually very surprised by that because I figured people would be outside enjoying the weather.

I'm originally from a small town in New York near the Canadian border. A few years ago my young daughter and I were making our yearly visit and she asked me where all the fat people were. I thought it was a really funny question until I started looking around and noticed she was right.

I just have to assume it's a different way of life. I think small rural towns (the population in that one is probably a little less than 10,000) have less distractions and people are kind of forced to do things outside. The closest movie theater is about 45 minutes away and there aren't any restaurants open past 10. There has never been a time when I have walked into a restaurant and had to wait for a table. Most people cook at home and that's probably a whole lot more healthy. There are always people out walking or riding bikes. There are sidewalks on every street within the village so it is much more conducive to walking. Florida seems to be lacking in sidewalks because I see very few of them. Also, if I look at my Facebook page I notice that my northern friends are posting pictures of them skating, skiing, playing outside with the kids, fishing, water skiing, mountain climbing, kayaking, playing organized sports, etc etc. My Florida Facebook friends are usually posting pictures of their Olive Garden meal or checking into a concert or movie. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of folks here that stay active. It just seems like its more of a choice down here and it appears to be more of a way of life up there. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I go fishing, kayaking and hiking here but not as often as I should. When I visit New York, my family and I are outside doing activities from the time we get there until the time we leave and come back to Florida.
I'm not sure it's just Florida.
The USA as a nation leads the world in obesity and southern states in general tend to lead the county's obesity rates.
And when you think about it these are the worst places to be fat and unfit.Maybe a bit of snow shovelling would come in handy !

Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,220,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post

That's a pretty accurate description. We thought the same thing when we moved down there.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
I think much of the USA fails miserably on the subject of active and healthy. Florida included. I think the problem is out of control in much of the Southeast. I just drove thru the deep south this week on my way to Florida. I had a terrible time finding anything healthy to eat. I basically had to give up and improvise with what was on menu's. I don't know if its a problem of not caring or southern cultures with food, or just plain that's how it is in these regions. Still its 2015. One would think things would have improved somewhat by this late in time.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,594,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think much of the USA fails miserably on the subject of active and healthy. Florida included. I think the problem is out of control in much of the Southeast. I just drove thru the deep south this week on my way to Florida. I had a terrible time finding anything healthy to eat. I basically had to give up and improvise with what was on menu's. I don't know if its a problem of not caring or southern cultures with food, or just plain that's how it is in these regions. Still its 2015. One would think things would have improved somewhat by this late in time.
Just order a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and a salad.

This southerner has a snow day tomorrow so I'm having a few beers, and I'm getting the grill ready to cook a burger with good quality pimento cheese on a fresh bun. I'm also making fresh cut fries. Btw, I'm not obese. Everything in moderation.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 02-24-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Just order a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and a salad.

This southerner has a snow day tomorrow so I'm having a few beers, and I'm getting the grill ready to cook a burger with good quality pimento cheese on a fresh bun. I'm also making fresh cut fries. Btw, I'm not obese. Everything in moderation.

What you mentioned is my usual sandwich, especially when I'm having difficulty finding healthy eats. I asked for the grilled chicken sandwich twice in restaurants in Mississippi, and only one would offer it to me. However if I wanted Fried or BBQ they had it on their menu.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,378,751 times
So it really isn't about one state versus another, or one person's preference for cold weather sports against another's preference for warm weather sports--it is about what works for each individual.

I love Florida, love swimming laps in the sunshine, walking the beaches. Sunshine is good for you--makes vitamin D. And fresher produce is better food.

But I split time between Florida and the frozen wasteland, and when I am in the frozen wasteland, I swim my laps indoors at the Y. You can be fit and eat right anywhere, or you can be a combination couch potato/human garbage disposal anywhere.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:02 AM

51 posts, read 62,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was in Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota about a month ago and was quite surprised at the amount engaging in outdoor exercise, whether it was jogging, people canoeing in parks, biking, etc. Here in Indiana, outdoor activity has been pretty much a no-go since November and will likely be very limited until April. It's either too cold, too soggy, or too snowy to do much of anything outside. There was more activity going on in FL during the winter than IN in the summer! Today it's in the single digits and windy and will remain that way for the rest of the week. When it's that cold, I am not keen on even getting out of the warm car to go to the gym. I pretty much go to work, go home, and repeat. The weather here really limits physical activity of any kind. Even in the summer, you can swim in FL and do about everything you do in the cooler months, but you have to be somewhat more careful not to overexert yourself and to stay hydrated. It's not like you're outright prohibited from engaging in many outdoor activities like you'd be up north during the cold months. Do you think the weather in FL is more conducive to staying healthy and physically active?
California holds top honors in physical outdoor activities and overall better/fitter bodies but the United States is the fattest country in the world. We have the most unhealthy food and the worst diets. It's really sad. If you want to see great bodies and tons of people outside go to Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida