Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post

They told me to sell at the peak in 2005 and rent...I made a lot of money and now rent for half the cost of owning.
I sold a little later but...cha ching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Out-sourcing is the half-baked, brainless idea of those greedy CEO's as well. Let's give all our work to people over-seas, great idea. Call Verizon for help and see who answers. Ask them how the weather is where THEY are. I think it might be rather nice this time of year in New Dehli.
Call center jobs do not pay very much.
I was the recruiter for an outsource project in Canada for the USAs largest accounts receivables. I traveled to the UK for them as well and many of the USA sites.
The starting rate I offered to new hires was 10.38 per hour, I would try my best to bump that up as much as I could. If you got really lucky you get a whopping 3% raise in a year, most don't as they base your raise on hitting goals and they set the goals to high. The jobs in the remaining USA call centers do not pay any better.
These are not jobs most people want, they take them more out of desperation than desire. I hired mostly new landed legal immigrants.

Sure you get some benefits but benefits are not going to put food on the table or pay the rent.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I dont know about the rest of Florida, but here in Marion County, the recession is already here.
I am in a business directly connected with the construction industry, every contractor and sub-contractor I know and work with is down to a bare-bones crew.
It seems to me that Fl has always been a boom and bust state since the early '20's, due to flim-flam real estate nonsense and hurricane damage. One would think we would learn from our past mistakes, tying our economy to a single entity; ie: construction.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
EXACTLY.

So he's on welfare and he doesn't ride.

I don't see how he's better off than me. I have two cars sitting in my driveway. And I'm not stupid enough to think I can buy a car when I'm out of work.

Let it go.

But pre-qualify these people before they ever get into your office. They were definitely wasting your time, while a qualified buyer might be walking the lot.

I've sold a few cars at some point. In fact, it was in Fort Myers.
i did pre qualify them,as soon as they got out of the car they borrowed, i ran an experian on them.do you think i walk around showing cars for fun?not!the fact of the matter is this guy has no business buying a car when his income is about 600$ of government money, he's beating the system getting government benefits and probably working on the side.That is a career for most of these people and i know i mentioned there was another baby on the way to get a bigger paycheck and prolong the benefit package.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 PM

So far, were kid of holding up here. Unemployment still in the full employment 3% range. Considering PBC/Dade is to almost 5%, I think were going to rise soon.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
So far, were kid of holding up here. Unemployment still in the full employment 3% range.
Do you think that is really true? i am seeing some serious lay-offs here, is it just Marion County?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Do you think that is really true? i am seeing some serious lay-offs here, is it just Marion County?
Most of the state and country has soaring unemployment. I think the only reason ours hasn't increased (yet) is because were also anchored to two other economic engines within commute. Locally their still building small offices and stuff like crazy around Davie and Sunrise wherever they can find an empty plot of land and to my surprise their filling. We will see what happens, I have no reason to see this as something lasting. I think we have less real estate and construction dependence than other parts of Florida as well, although it's still a major economic sector and it's crash is going to definitely hurt the economy. Also, an increase in unemployment doesn't equate recession.

I don't know about Marion, but isn't it's biggest industry real estate and construction? Broward is small/medium business, some technology, and commuter based with real estate still making a large chunk of the economy.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Most of the state and country has soaring unemployment. I think the only reason ours hasn't increased (yet) is because were also anchored to two other economic engines within commute. Locally their still building small offices and stuff like crazy around Davie and Sunrise wherever they can find an empty plot of land and to my surprise their filling. We will see what happens, I have no reason to see this as something lasting. I think we have less real estate and construction dependence than other parts of Florida as well, although it's still a major economic sector and it's crash is going to definitely hurt the economy. Also, an increase in unemployment doesn't equate recession.
the poor will survive it's the one's that get up in the morning you have to worry about.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:

I don't know about Marion, but isn't it's biggest industry real estate and construction? Broward is small/medium business and commuter based.
thats exactly what is going on...... the horse industry is also huge here, but those people do not live here for the most part, and the large money they generate is not based from here, and does not disperse here.
Its really unfortunate, this is really a beautiful place.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
marion county?try the whole united states.things are bad i work for a dealership that's about to go under in the next 3 mths if things don't turn around.i'm afraid they're not anytime soon.very scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida