Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM

166 posts, read 353,064 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the Brevard forum for a couple years now. It doesn't get much action though the people that post are always helpful in answering questions from people looking for info.

On the surface it sounds nice...near the beach, nice weather, wildlife, decent schools (some good, some not just like everywhere else), affordable homes. It sounds like the job scene is not great but if you work in the defense industry jobs are somewhat plentiful.

But no one actually sounds all that enthusiastic after they visit or after they lived there for a while. Is it a desirable area or just bla? I am sure it depends on exactly WHERE you live but if you can afford a house for 400-500k....is the area desirable or not so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It is a nice area and oft-overlooked for Orlando I think, which is puzzling to me given how many perks it offers beyond the obvious tourist aspects of Orlando. It's a good bit more family-friendly overall in my opinion with some great established areas with excellent schools in places like Satellite Beach, Indialantic, Merritt Island and Melbourne Beach, or the more new cookie-cutter aspect if that's your preference in places like Viera, Rockledge, Suntree and West Melbourne. If you're a coastal person who enjoys the nicer climate aspects plus going to the beach, boating, fishing, etc then I would say it's worthwhile. If you're more of the typical suburban family that would rarely engage in such activities, living anywhere in the interior suburban sprawl of Central Florida will be more to your liking in my opinion.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM

732 posts, read 968,975 times
It is really a conservative defense contractor community, with support for that, and a few other small industry and the usual FL stuff there too. I tried getting involved in start-ups to do all kinds of things, not just defense and hard to find anyone there who thinks outside just signing up to bid on government projects. Plenty of good people in the defense industry just never what I studied myself, so just understand Brevard is a county geared up to that group. At one time I remember lots of start-ups in Brevard were making a go, most died out is what I found. Even companies there that say they are a diverse industry or product group when you boil it down they sell to other contractors who then sell to government. Some real good people but a one industry county.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
It is really a conservative defense contractor community, with support for that, and a few other small industry and the usual FL stuff there too. I tried getting involved in start-ups to do all kinds of things, not just defense and hard to find anyone there who thinks outside just signing up to bid on government projects. Plenty of good people in the defense industry just never what I studied myself, so just understand Brevard is a county geared up to that group. At one time I remember lots of start-ups in Brevard were making a go, most died out is what I found. Even companies there that say they are a diverse industry or product group when you boil it down they sell to other contractors who then sell to government. Some real good people but a one industry county.
Wouldn't call it conservative. I'd say it's pretty moderate like most of central Florida

Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
The economy is actually getting better with the investment coming in for the space industry and plus its one of the top places for high tech jobs. I agree with kyle about being a water type person then I think its perfect for a family like that. Its not that conservative IMO like was said very moderate like the rest of Florida is trending so that's nothing new about that. It simplified the whole with a broad stroke with not very much knowledge of what is going on outside that industry.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
I love Cocoa Beach. Moved here 25 years ago with all my worldly possesions in an old Honda Accord, started a business (not defense or space related), prospered, sold it ten years later and started a new business (not space or defense related), prospered and still doing well. It's a true small town once you get south of the tourist scrum around Ron Jons and the Pier. There are less than 12,000 permanent residents (seems like they all are water people) and it feels like we all know each other. Surfboards in every garage and boats tied at every dock. Kids commuting to school on skateboards.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the responses. We hope to check the area out 1 day on our spring break trip to FL. My husband is in the defense contractor industry and his company often has jobs there. No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods is sad but I hear there good farmers markets.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Thanks for the responses. We hope to check the area out 1 day on our spring break trip to FL. My husband is in the defense contractor industry and his company often has jobs there. No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods is sad but I hear there good farmers markets.
They are an hour away and rumors keep spreading that TJs will be coming to the east coast at some point.

The Fresh Market will be opening a store in Brevard late this year

The Fresh Market opening in Brevard next fall

Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 AM

77 posts, read 112,232 times
I think this is one of the most unspoiled and beautiful places on the coast of FL that provides an infrastructure for a family to make a good life. I looked into the area seriously and we are water people so it was a good fit. There are really good schools in the area and affordable housing. For us we've decided to go a little further north to be closer to family in the Carolinas. If there was a job there though, that might change my mind. DH will be looking for work once we move and the area seemed like a bad fit for his skills.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM

I guess we just need to visit to see....my husband is employed in the defense industry which is why i have been researching Brevard Co. FL for a while now. Thank you for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida