Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 25,605 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 looking to relocate from Ohio to Florida. Thinking the Lady Lake area, as we have a cousin and uncle living there. I have 13, 11 and 8yr old boys that are very into sports. Schools are also important. Any advice you can give would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
Make sure you have a job before you leave Ohio. If you have one in Ohio, consider staying there. Florida unemployment is over 10%. Unless you're a nurse (and even those are finding it hard to find employment) stay in Ohio.

Ohio schools are probably better than Florida schools. Our esteemed governor doesn't seem to think education is important and schools don't have any money. Sports are not essential and have been cut in many areas of the state.

If you do come down here, don't throw away your parka. It gets cold here, too, and it's the kind of cold that cuts to the bone since it's also damp.

You won't have time to go to the beach all the time since you'll be working and taking care of your kids, so get that idea out of your head. Residents of Florida rarely get to enjoy the assets of Florida as we're working for a living, just like you do in Ohio. Most Florida residents don't have a tan unless they're retired. A lot of "retired" Florida residents work at Walmart so they can afford groceries.

DisneyWorld is expensive.

LegoLand is expensive.

SeaWorld is expensive.

Groceries are expensive. Gas is expensive. I paid $3.29 a gallon yesterday in Ocala. It's gone up 10 cents a gallon in the last week, no idea why. Just because they can, I suppose.

Electric is expensive, especially in the summer when the A/C is running. Progress Energy (soon to be a part of Duke Power) is especially expensive as is Ocala Electric. Property taxes are expensive.

But it doesn't snow here! Though since we haven't had a hurricane since 2005, we're probably just marking time until a big one blows through, rips your roof off, and drops a foot of water into your living room, followed by large snakes and alligators and no electricity for at least a week, more probably a month. In the heat of summer. And you won't be able to buy a generator for love nor money and if you can you can't get to the gas station to buy gas for it (because the electricity is out).

Let's don't forget the humongous flying Palmetto bugs as big as the palm of your hand, fleas year around since it doesn't get cold enough to kill them, German roaches that take over your kitchen, lizards that take over your yard and house, and did I mention the large snakes that lovely people have turned loose and alligators that move into your pool or nearest body of water?

Florida is a whole other world from the rest of the country.

Does this help?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Don't let the negative nancy(s) deter you. Florida is a great place to live yet has it's drawbacks like anywhere else. Today's forecast: a high of 77 and mostly sunny

The Lady Lake area is nice enough but the schools there aren't very good supposedly. The one charter school in the area with high scores (The Villages Charter School) teaches to the Florida assessment test which helps it score well (in order to receive more funding no doubt) but not much in the way of college prep. You might check out Lake Mary, which is a northern suburb of Orlando, which places you in a much larger area in terms of prospective jobs and into a highly rated school district with a good track record for sending graduates to college. Lake Mary is a fairly easy drive to Lady Lake, about an hour and fifteen minutes. Close, but not too close. If you have any questions feel to ask via the forum or direct mail. Good luck!

City of Lake Mary, Florida
Welcome to Greenwood Lakes Middle School
School Info
Lake Mary High School

Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 40,861 times
Ok, my next question would be the Pensacola area. My husband has experience in railcar repair and the place there is hiring.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I grew up in Akron Ohio so I know it would be very nice to get away from that weather. Pensacola is not so bad...smaller town...limited jobs...but if your hubby has a solid job offer it might be a nice change of pace. Florida does get hit with hurricanes so you really have to buy a quality home away from the beach/flood zones. Schools - on going battle. The new Gov. wants to improve things but the "stuck in the mud" unions won't budge. Their answer is always the same "give us more money and every kid is going to Harvard". At the end of the day, most of the "gut work" up to the parents and the kid in school. I would think you should look for a job too..at least part time, and Florida does have a high unemployment rate. We have two industries - retired people and tourists - which means service economy and that is really hurting too. You should rent for a while before buying so you can find a really good school(s). It takes a bit of work too so do your own homework. There are many homes on the market, but you need to find the schools 1st, then the quality, well built home. Also, home insurance can be a bear if you are near the water so stay away from the water. The really good thing about Florida is excellent/outstanding colleges. So, if you put the size 1 shoe into your kids rear end and make them do a lot of homework they should be able to get into a good Florida college. I think Ohio is a much prettier state compared to Florida, but those winters are a bear I don't miss! Good luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Make sure you have a job before you leave Ohio. If you have one in Ohio, consider staying there. Florida unemployment is over 10%. Unless you're a nurse (and even those are finding it hard to find employment) stay in Ohio.

Ohio schools are probably better than Florida schools. Our esteemed governor doesn't seem to think education is important and schools don't have any money. Sports are not essential and have been cut in many areas of the state.

If you do come down here, don't throw away your parka. It gets cold here, too, and it's the kind of cold that cuts to the bone since it's also damp.

You won't have time to go to the beach all the time since you'll be working and taking care of your kids, so get that idea out of your head. Residents of Florida rarely get to enjoy the assets of Florida as we're working for a living, just like you do in Ohio. Most Florida residents don't have a tan unless they're retired. A lot of "retired" Florida residents work at Walmart so they can afford groceries.

LegoLand is expensive.

SeaWorld is expensive.

Groceries are expensive. Gas is expensive. I paid $3.29 a gallon yesterday in Ocala. It's gone up 10 cents a gallon in the last week, no idea why. Just because they can, I suppose.

Electric is expensive, especially in the summer when the A/C is running. Progress Energy (soon to be a part of Duke Power) is especially expensive as is Ocala Electric. Property taxes are expensive.

But it doesn't snow here! Though since we haven't had a hurricane since 2005, we're probably just marking time until a big one blows through, rips your roof off, and drops a foot of water into your living room, followed by large snakes and alligators and no electricity for at least a week, more probably a month. In the heat of summer. And you won't be able to buy a generator for love nor money and if you can you can't get to the gas station to buy gas for it (because the electricity is out).

Let's don't forget the humongous flying Palmetto bugs as big as the palm of your hand, fleas year around since it doesn't get cold enough to kill them, German roaches that take over your kitchen, lizards that take over your yard and house, and did I mention the large snakes that lovely people have turned loose and alligators that move into your pool or nearest body of water?

Does this help?
This is your opinion, and of course you are entitled to it. I do agree with SOME of what you said......but I do think your post in large is quite negative and exaggerated.

1) Gas is MUCH cheaper here then where I just moved from in NY.

2) My year round utilities are WAY cheaper then in NY. If you have an efficient A/C unit, (and WHY wouldn't you, as they pay for themselves quickly), even a total electric house is cheaper to live in down here then in NY.

3) Bone Chilling cold?? Seriously?? Today it was 75 degrees, and currently it is 66 degrees. I am in shorts and a T-shirt. This week in NY the HIGH will be 16 degrees and blustery snow. It is January 1st, and I have not had my heat or my A/C on all month.

4) I do not deny there are many who are poor. Many retired who are poor. But there are many more retired folks living quite well. You live in Ocala, so you indeed know of The Villages, as you are right next to it. Those 80,000+ retired folks are not greeting at Walmart.

5) Being over an hour from either coast, I do not stay up at night worrying about "The Big Hurricane". I lost more sleep up north worrying about icestorms, snowstorms, etc.

6) My house is on a large pond. Folks here call it a lake, but it is a pond. It has wildlife in it, including a gator or two. I leave them alone and they do the same. I do not have bugs, lizards, etc, in my home.

I do agree with some of what you said, but I think folks here need to be a bit more factual. Folks thinking about moving here also need to take a GOOD Realistic look first, as Florida have many good things about it, but it is not all Disney and sunshine. Folks still need to make sure they can make a living here before moving here.

Just my 2 cents....BTW, although I just moved here full time, I have owned here for over 5 years, so I in many ways am not a sunstruck newbie.

Frank

Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 40,861 times
Totsuka, thanks for the info. I am originally from the east suburbs of Cleveland and that is our other choice. As they are preparing for their first snow storm I am.thinking no way! As for the hurricanes, that is why we were thinking more.of the lady lake area but not sure how far it is from the ocean. Well, off to do some more research, and thanks for the help.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
This is your opinion, and of course you are entitled to it. I do agree with SOME of what you said......but I do think your post in large is quite negative and exaggerated.

1) Gas is MUCH cheaper here then where I just moved from in NY.

Gas is too expensive everywhere. I don't want the lady to move here thinking it's $2 a gallon.

2) My year round utilities are WAY cheaper then in NY. If you have an efficient A/C unit, (and WHY wouldn't you, as they pay for themselves quickly), even a total electric house is cheaper to live in down here then in NY.

I have an efficient unit. I moved to Ocala (SECO) from Dunnellon (Progress). My light bill is half what it was with Progress. People with Progress better get ready to bend over and grab their butts because it's going to go yet higher. And what's this extra $6 a month charge so they can maybe someday build a facility in Levy County? That's part of doing business and you pay for it out of your profits, not socking it to old people who will never benefit from the facility.

3) Bone Chilling cold?? Seriously?? Today it was 75 degrees, and currently it is 66 degrees. I am in shorts and a T-shirt. This week in NY the HIGH will be 16 degrees and blustery snow. It is January 1st, and I have not had my heat or my A/C on all month.

I am a Florida native. 66 is cold. Yes, it was 77 today, but the low tomorrow night is supposed to be 28. That is d**n cold. I'm happy you haven't had your heat on. Mine stays on 77 in the winter and the A/C is on 80 in the summer.

4) I do not deny there are many who are poor. Many retired who are poor. But there are many more retired folks living quite well. You live in Ocala, so you indeed know of The Villages, as you are right next to it. Those 80,000+ retired folks are not greeting at Walmart.

You can't compare the Villages to the rest of the state. There are a lot of poor people here. There's a lady that works at Cracker Barrel on Hwy 200 that's over 100 years old. She's supporting her son and his wife who can't find a job. If you go into any Walmart, there are old people working there. There are also old people in there buying cat food and I'd bet my undies they don't have a cat.

5) Being over an hour from either coast, I do not stay up at night worrying about "The Big Hurricane". I lost more sleep up north worrying about icestorms, snowstorms, etc.

I don't "lose sleep" over hurricanes, but Ocala got hit by 4 in a row in 2005. In 2006 I looked at a house for sale in my neighborhood that had a 6 inch water line in it. I'm realistic, not stupid. I'd also never live in New York even if I had to live under a bridge. My parents moved from there in the 1940s for a reason...they had to climb out a second story window because they couldn't get out the front door for the snow. Why anybody would live there voluntarily is beyond me.

6) My house is on a large pond. Folks here call it a lake, but it is a pond. It has wildlife in it, including a gator or two. I leave them alone and they do the same. I do not have bugs, lizards, etc, in my home.

You're lucky so far. One day there will be a gator in your pool or your dog will get too close to the shore and wind up gator dinner.

I do agree with some of what you said, but I think folks here need to be a bit more factual. Folks thinking about moving here also need to take a GOOD Realistic look first, as Florida have many good things about it, but it is not all Disney and sunshine. Folks still need to make sure they can make a living here before moving here.

Just my 2 cents....BTW, although I just moved here full time, I have owned here for over 5 years, so I in many ways am not a sunstruck newbie.

Frank
See comments in blue. You also didn't comment on jobs, which is probably the most important thing the OP should consider. She needs to make sure they have a cushion to move back to Ohio on after they find out there are no jobs...either that or reserve a street corner to beg on like they do here. About every major street corner in Ocala has a person standing there with a sign "laid off, got kids, rent due, any help appreciated, God bless". Other cities have outlawed the panhandlers.

Nor did you comment on the school situation. My understanding is Jacksonville has eliminated their sports programs. Ocala has cut way back except for the sacred football...God forbid they touch the football.

Anyway, at this point the lady has switched to Pensacola, which is basically just lower Alabama, and it does indeed get cold there and the hurricanes aim for it when they come toward Florida. Pensacola is no more like Ocala than New York is like Florida.

Floridabound5, I wish you luck in your move. You might also look into Jacksonville as that is a major port city with lots of trains moving more Chinese junk into the country, although your kids' sports may suffer. You'll have to weigh your job availability against catering to your kids. They'll survive without football (ack!) but you won't survive without a job.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post

LegoLand is expensive.

SeaWorld is expensive.

Does this help?

Maybe you can ask a mod to change your screen name to
"FloridaNotHappy".

Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Nope, I love it here. I'm just being realistic for the people who think Florida is all sun, sand, hot weather, and DisneyWorld. Reality steps in when you have to go to an 8-5 job 5 days a week and your evenings and weekends are spent running kids to sports and going to the grocery and cooking dinner, just like in Ohio. Same stuff, different state. The routine doesn't change just because you're 1000 miles closer to the ocean.

I've lived in Florida most of my life, born here (Fort Lauderdale), moved to NC and TN in my 20s, and now I'm back home to stay. And y'know, when I moved to NC, I thought it was all mountains and going fishing and trips to the Biltmore House. Turned out I lived in the same town with the Biltmore House and have only been there once, when my relatives from Florida came to visit. Life got in the way of all the fun.

Don't ask about TN, biggest mistake of my life, but suffice to say I got to
Dollywood when the same relatives came to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida