U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 PM

582 posts, read 1,305,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Thats great! I am a firm believer that every child has to have something they do with excellence; sports, music, academics, whatever they show talent in. I think it gives them a sense of identity, helps them have the self esteem to say no to drugs and other vices, and the rest of their pursuits are also improved.

Of our kids, the youngest, who is 3 1/2, is a tennis talent. She saw me hitting a ball against the garage door at 18 months and showed so much interest I got her the tiniest racquet I could find. I didn't think much of it but she is a fanatic, she asks to hit every day and would play all day if we let her.

She can now play actual tennis from the baseline, the wildest thing I have ever seen. People walking by just stop and watch this little toddler smacking balls. And not just hitting them, but hitting them with pace and accuracy.

We had the same problem you did last year, when we had to live up north temporarily for business reasons. We took her to the courts any time it went above 50 degrees, but those days were few and far between from Oct-Apr. I never thought a 2 and a half year old could be depressed, but any time it was cold out the kid was miserable. We tried every indoor court within 20 miles, but everyone was booked solid all winter with the regulars.

Now we live a few miles from Evert Tennis Academy and the Rick Macci Tennis Academy. We are surrounded by top junior tennis down here.

So for our kids, Florida allows them to do things they love year round.
you really do miss so much up here.i think some people don't realize that weather is important when you are spending time with your family.i'm talking on free time.i've heard some bloggers say that don't pay the bills.it doesn't, but your free time is more valuable to your family and if the weather is no good you're going to sit on a couch and kill the day.nice warm day i could go play catch with my son or hit some balls.i can't even dream of doing that until late april,maybe?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM

497 posts, read 1,046,345 times
Weather and sun may not solve all the problems with money and income but the fact you don't have to spend $300+ a month on oil and another $150 on electric. Even 8 months of needing AC is cheaper than the 7-8 months you need heat in the northeast.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Weather and sun may not solve all the problems with money and income but the fact you don't have to spend $300+ a month on oil and another $150 on electric. Even 8 months of needing AC is cheaper than the 7-8 months you need heat in the northeast.
pete you're right my gas bill is at least $180 a month some months over $200 and electricity is about $160 and over $200 in the summer so no matter how much electricity you use in florida it's still more in the northeast.the double bang,electricity and gas or oil.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 PM

672 posts, read 82,555 times
Default Not all sports are played in warm weather

Quote:
Thats great! I am a firm believer that every child has to have something they do with excellence; sports, music, academics, whatever they show talent in. I think it gives them a sense of identity, helps them have the self esteem to say no to drugs and other vices, and the rest of their pursuits are also improved.

Of our kids, the youngest, who is 3 1/2, is a tennis talent. She saw me hitting a ball against the garage door at 18 months and showed so much interest I got her the tiniest racquet I could find. I didn't think much of it but she is a fanatic, she asks to hit every day and would play all day if we let her.

She can now play actual tennis from the baseline, the wildest thing I have ever seen. People walking by just stop and watch this little toddler smacking balls. And not just hitting them, but hitting them with pace and accuracy.

We had the same problem you did last year, when we had to live up north temporarily for business reasons. We took her to the courts any time it went above 50 degrees, but those days were few and far between from Oct-Apr. I never thought a 2 and a half year old could be depressed, but any time it was cold out the kid was miserable. We tried every indoor court within 20 miles, but everyone was booked solid all winter with the regulars.

Now we live a few miles from Evert Tennis Academy and the Rick Macci Tennis Academy. We are surrounded by top junior tennis down here.

So for our kids, Florida allows them to do things they love year round.
I had a daughter who played competitive ice hockey, starting out playing boys ice hockey. She played in college in Maine. Good thing my husband didn't get this job here back then. Florida would have been the absolute PITS for a girl playing ice hockey. Now CANADA that would have been the play to move for ice hockey. Their female players are fierce (she played against them many times). But then, they become rink rats when they are 3 years old there. Obviously, they, too, don't sit around on a sofa over the LOOOOOONG winters.

Incidentially, they don't stop football either because of cold and snow.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I had a daughter who played competitive ice hockey, starting out playing boys ice hockey. She played in college in Maine. Good thing my husband didn't get this job here back then. Florida would have been the absolute PITS for a girl playing ice hockey. Now CANADA that would have been the play to move for ice hockey. Their female players are fierce (she played against them many times). But then, they become rink rats when they are 3 years old there. Obviously, they, too, don't sit around on a sofa over the LOOOOOONG winters.

football is over before winter starts you should know that.my son doesn't play hockey he is all baseball and outdoor activities,water,bikes,cookouts with mom and dad,jet skis,finding crabs on the beach.we lived in a warm climate years ago so that's where these activities are coming from and we miss that.can i sell avocadoes on a street light?lololoolol

Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,878,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
mass is beautiful if you like to meet people that don't shower for a week because it 's too cold out,not me of course.
Who doesn't shower because it is cold out?

I think hot showers are great in the winter.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM

548 posts, read 48,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post

Thats great that she got to play hockey in college. Your right, Florida would not have been the best place for her hockey career!

Our kids never seemed to take to the cold weather sports so it was nice when we got to move back here.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Who doesn't shower because it is cold out?

I think hot showers are great in the winter.
hey.lolol i know some people that don't shower everyday because it's winter,i am not kidding.they tell me they shower 3 times a week.which is disgusting in my eyes but who am i to tell them that.i agree a hot shower before bedtime is fantastic.i take 2 a day can't go to work without that shower.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 AM

672 posts, read 82,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
football is over before winter starts you should know that.my son doesn't play hockey he is all baseball and outdoor activities,water,bikes,cookouts with mom and dad,jet skis,finding crabs on the beach.we lived in a warm climate years ago so that's where these activities are coming from and we miss that.can i sell avocadoes on a street light?lololoolol
Winter starts approximately the 21st of December. The Super Bowl is first weekend in February. I was referring to the NFL. My husband had the Packers game on last week and it looked like a blizzard during the game.

My daughters played soccer which included indoor soccer in the winter. She said recently she actually preferred the indoor soccer. It was much more difficult to play because it could not hit the walls or the ceiling. She said it required a lot more ball control than outdoors. That is why the league wanted them to play indoor to learn ball control. Incidentially, they did play outdoor soccer until the end of November. It does, sometimes, get very cold in November and I do remember a few times they played outside in the snow until the ground got too covered to play.

She also joined a indoor winter softball league. They had it for baseball too. Again, she said that was more difficult also.

Mine were not great basketball players which many sports oriented kids play in the winter, but my point was that there is no need for northern kids to sit around the house in the winter doing nothing.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,671,302 times
Quote:
Thats great that she got to play hockey in college. Your right, Florida would not have been the best place for her hockey career!

Our kids never seemed to take to the cold weather sports so it was nice when we got to move back here.
This is hockeymom's daughter. I guess depending where you're from, the sports in that climate are the popular ones. The spring/summer sports weren't as popular as winter sports on Long Island...but go to Florida, and spring/summer sports are obviously more popular. It's just a regional thing. I can say this though...I would have been devastated if we had to move to Florida when I was in high school. I wouldn't have been able to play ice hockey and probably wouldn't have played it in college. That's why I want to stay in NY, so I can play hockey while having a career.

Also, like she said about the indoor sports we played, I really did prefer them over playing outside. I suppose it was probably the challenge of it. And even though it was the same sport, it almost felt like a completely different sport when we went indoors for the winter. It was much harder playing softball indoors. When softball season started in high school, we practiced inside at first until it started to get a little warmer. That was always more fun. One of my best memories, too, was playing indoor soccer tournaments as a kid. The pace was much faster and it was just more exciting to me than outdoor tournaments. But kids from the south probably wouldn't like playing indoors since they're so used to playing outside. Like I said, probably a regional thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida