U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2015, 06:45 AM
LC3 LC3 started this thread
 
2 posts, read 1,702 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We are looking for some help!
We are a young family currently living in NH,.
Living in San Diego prior, we really miss the warm weather
but would like to stay on the East coast.
We have 3 children the oldest is 6 years old
so a good school district is very important.
We've been trying to research cities on the west coast
of FL that are safe and have a good school system.
I've heard a little bit of negative feedback about
Florida public schools so we would consider
private if we had to but cost is of course a concern.
We would like to be on the west coast, but if there were
a city on the east coast that met our criteria we would defiantly
Consider that.
Any feedback on good safe communities
for a young family would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM
 
21,207 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Reputation: 19655
On the west coast check out Bloomingdale, FishHawk Ranch, Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor and East Lake which are very desirable Tampa Bay suburbs, as well as the Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch area. All of those areas have well-performing A-rated public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
LC3 LC3 started this thread
 
2 posts, read 1,702 times
Reputation: 10
Great thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,152,193 times
Reputation: 1016
Also give North Port and Palmer Ranch a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,052,068 times
Reputation: 2543
I hope realize that Florida is very different from California.

In Florida, you will notice that, regardless of where you live, most of your friends, neighbors, and colleagues will send their children to private school, if they can afford it.

In California, especially in the more upscale suburban areas of San Diego and Orange Counties, most people send their children to public school because suburban public schools in California tend be better funded, higher performing, and less "ghetto" than those in Florida.

San Diego in particular is one of the most educated major metropolitan areas in the entire country whereas Tampa Bay, for example, is one of the least educated. Because Tampa Bay is a less educated metro area with a smaller presence of well-paying industry and a strong service-oriented economy, the Tampa Bay area is much more working-class and lower income than the San Diego area.

Needless to say, there are fewer upscale suburban areas in the Tampa Bay area because the economy of the metro area simply can't support an endless array of upscale suburban communities such as North SD, South OC, Temecula/Murrieta, etc.

Because the majority of communities in the Tampa Bay area are low-income or working-class, there tends to be less emphasis on and less funding for public K-12 schools as well as higher education than in the San Diego area.

FWIW, there's only two or three accredited institutions of higher education on the Gulf Coast of Florida from the Tampa Bay area south, and they're mostly glorified community colleges. That's definitely something to consider if you plan on living in Florida for the long-haul and intend for your children to receive high-caliber college educations.

Also, the Tampa Bay area has a much higher crime rate than the San Diego area, which is one of the safest metropolitan areas in the entire country, so public schools in the Tampa Bay area, even in the "nicer" suburban areas, will be more noticeably more "ghetto" overall. This is an issue for a lot of people who move down from up North or out West.

Finally, aside from the Tampa Bay area, most of the communities on the Gulf Coast of Florida are either resort towns or retirement communities with highly transient populations, very service-oriented economies, and poorly funded school systems. The rootlessness and general lack of educational and professional opportunities breeds apathy, complacency, and violence.

Point is, if you're hell-bent on the Gulf Coast, stick to the major cities of the Tampa Bay area, which are -- at the very least -- marginal upgrades from the smaller cities (e.g., North Port, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, et al.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM
 
2,112 posts, read 2,095,818 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I hope realize that Florida is very different from California.

In Florida, you will notice that, regardless of where you live, most of your friends, neighbors, and colleagues will send their children to private school, if they can afford it.

In California, especially in the more upscale suburban areas of San Diego and Orange Counties, most people send their children to public school because suburban public schools in California tend be better funded, higher performing, and less "ghetto" than those in Florida.

San Diego in particular is one of the most educated major metropolitan areas in the entire country whereas Tampa Bay, for example, is one of the least educated. Because Tampa Bay is a less educated metro area with a smaller presence of well-paying industry and a strong service-oriented economy, the Tampa Bay area is much more working-class and lower income than the San Diego area.

Needless to say, there are fewer upscale suburban areas in the Tampa Bay area because the economy of the metro area simply can't support an endless array of upscale suburban communities such as North SD, South OC, Temecula/Murrieta, etc.

Because the majority of communities in the Tampa Bay area are low-income or working-class, there tends to be less emphasis on and less funding for public K-12 schools as well as higher education than in the San Diego area.

FWIW, there's only two or three accredited institutions of higher education on the Gulf Coast of Florida from the Tampa Bay area south, and they're mostly glorified community colleges. That's definitely something to consider if you plan on living in Florida for the long-haul and intend for your children to receive high-caliber college educations.

Also, the Tampa Bay area has a much higher crime rate than the San Diego area, which is one of the safest metropolitan areas in the entire country, so public schools in the Tampa Bay area, even in the "nicer" suburban areas, will be more noticeably more "ghetto" overall. This is an issue for a lot of people who move down from up North or out West.

Finally, aside from the Tampa Bay area, most of the communities on the Gulf Coast of Florida are either resort towns or retirement communities with highly transient populations, very service-oriented economies, and poorly funded school systems. The rootlessness and general lack of educational and professional opportunities breeds apathy, complacency, and violence.

Point is, if you're hell-bent on the Gulf Coast, stick to the major cities of the Tampa Bay area, which are -- at the very least -- marginal upgrades from the smaller cities (e.g., North Port, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, et al.).
Don't agree. Head over to the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice forum. Lots of info about public schools. Tampa Bay area is definitely not "ghetto" and I don't know where the poster gets his ideas about San Diego being so "upscale".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,862,769 times
Reputation: 5225
Plenty of good public schools in FL if you know where to look and do your research. Don't believe the hype.

Counties to check out include sarasota, st John's, Seminole, Brevard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,152,193 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I hope realize that Florida is very different from California.

In Florida, you will notice that, regardless of where you live, most of your friends, neighbors, and colleagues will send their children to private school, if they can afford it.

In California, especially in the more upscale suburban areas of San Diego and Orange Counties, most people send their children to public school because suburban public schools in California tend be better funded, higher performing, and less "ghetto" than those in Florida.

San Diego in particular is one of the most educated major metropolitan areas in the entire country whereas Tampa Bay, for example, is one of the least educated. Because Tampa Bay is a less educated metro area with a smaller presence of well-paying industry and a strong service-oriented economy, the Tampa Bay area is much more working-class and lower income than the San Diego area.

Needless to say, there are fewer upscale suburban areas in the Tampa Bay area because the economy of the metro area simply can't support an endless array of upscale suburban communities such as North SD, South OC, Temecula/Murrieta, etc.

Because the majority of communities in the Tampa Bay area are low-income or working-class, there tends to be less emphasis on and less funding for public K-12 schools as well as higher education than in the San Diego area.

FWIW, there's only two or three accredited institutions of higher education on the Gulf Coast of Florida from the Tampa Bay area south, and they're mostly glorified community colleges. That's definitely something to consider if you plan on living in Florida for the long-haul and intend for your children to receive high-caliber college educations.

Also, the Tampa Bay area has a much higher crime rate than the San Diego area, which is one of the safest metropolitan areas in the entire country, so public schools in the Tampa Bay area, even in the "nicer" suburban areas, will be more noticeably more "ghetto" overall. This is an issue for a lot of people who move down from up North or out West.

Finally, aside from the Tampa Bay area, most of the communities on the Gulf Coast of Florida are either resort towns or retirement communities with highly transient populations, very service-oriented economies, and poorly funded school systems. The rootlessness and general lack of educational and professional opportunities breeds apathy, complacency, and violence.

Point is, if you're hell-bent on the Gulf Coast, stick to the major cities of the Tampa Bay area, which are -- at the very least -- marginal upgrades from the smaller cities (e.g., North Port, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, et al.).
You never seized to amaze me at your inaccuracies regarding this state I just don't what to say about you. Typing long posts doesn't make you look smart or knowledgeable about an area just a side note to you. Also you act like California doesn't have any problems but I here total opposite from people who actually move from their. Also little ole' Maryland is more educated than the entire state of California which says a lot.

Last edited by Fl1150; 03-08-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,052,068 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
You never seized to amaze me at your inaccuracies regarding this state I just don't what to say about you. Typing long posts doesn't make you look smart or knowledgeable about an area just a side note to you. Also you act like California doesn't have any problems but I here total opposite from people who actually move from their. Also little ole' Maryland is more educated than the entire state of California which says a lot.
You see, OP, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Products of Florida public schools never cease to amaze me, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 AM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,862,769 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You see, OP, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Products of Florida public schools never cease to amaze me, either.
He's probably a northern transplant like everyone else in FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top