Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:22 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times

Advertisements

I posted in the North Port fl forum but really wanting to see if anyone can suggest other possible towns that might be right for us. It's just my husband and I, no kids. Mid 20s. We live in Ohio currently and moving to florida in about a year to be closer to family. We are self employed(rental property) so jobs is not really an issue, although we might get part time simple jobs(retail, banking, ect) just to make a little extra cash but will not be dependant on that. We enjoy being near(30-40min) to water, whether it's the ocean or lakes. We really like being outdoors, hiking in parks, fishing ect. We are not people who need nightlife. We do not go to clubs/bars. We do want to be near shopping, malls, dining, ect. We like antique/flea/farmers markets also, but don't have to be near them. Age is not important to us, I understand some towns have a higher average age which doesn't really bother us much. Im not wanting to be in a real tourist spot/spring break destination. Also, would like to be within 2 hours or so to longboat key.

Were just not sure where in florida would fit us. We want a small(less then 50k population) town but wouldn't mind being nearby a larger city(hour or less away) of course, crime is a big issue to us. We want to live somewhere were able to walk during the day and feel relatively safe.

Ok so for our budget.. We really want to pay cash for a house and not have a mortgage, we have up to $100k saved up. So that's a big factor in looking for a home. We are looking for a modest 3 bed 2 bath 1200-1500 sq ft. Nice fenced in yard. We are not looking for any fancy house and do not need anything large. We are also willing to get a fixer upper as long as it's in a decent area. We do not want a condo, single family home only.

Here's a list of towns we are maybe considering and will visit when we go down there later this year. If there's any you think would not fit us or towns we should maybe add, let me know why.

North port - near ocean, decent size town
Port charlotte - dining, shopping
Lakeland - lakes of course, amenities.. But seems to have higher crime
Sarasota - like this area, but harder to find nice houses in price range
Osprey/venice/englewood area - smaller towns, maybe more community feel? Also not far from LBK
Eustis/mt dora - we like all the lakes around here, seems to have a good bit of dining and shops also close to Orlando which will offer a lot
Ocala - not sure about this one, farther from LBK. Seems to have lots of amenities, unsure about crime
Punta gorda - small but very quiant fishing town. Low crime rate. We have seen some homes in our price range. Little far though from LBK. Also, not sure if there is enough here for us.
Cape Coral - really undecided.. Farther south then we like, crime seems higher, lots of dining though and there's many nice homes in our budget.

So those are some places we have searched and considered. If anyone can offer some help and advice on narrowing down choices or other towns we should consider please do let us know because we want to be able to look at any options when we visit. Thanks for all the help everyone!

My posts are always so long! ><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:34 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Port Charlotte is going to offer the most value for the dollar and more choices I think than any other place on your list.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Wellington, Weston, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter - Actually never mind, I just saw you want to buy a house for $100k... not going to happen in these areas. Jupiter is the most affordable out of these though.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks kyle for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Wellington, Weston, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter - Actually never mind, I just saw you want to buy a house for $100k... not going to happen in these areas. Jupiter is the most affordable out of these though.
Yes and i believe those are on the east coast, looking to stay close to the gulf(lbk) or inland.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
My choices would be Lakeland and Cape Coral.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:02 PM

I am now adding vero beach to my list also.. Although it's on the east coast(wanted to stay more west) it seems really nice. Lower crime, many restaurants and shopping and population is only 15k! We are finding lots of homes 125k and under.

Our current town is also low crime and population of 27k, so it's somewhat comparable.

Thoughts or vero beach fl? Any other towns comparable to this one? We don't have to be that close to the coast but like what it has to offer.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If you like Vero Beach I would recommend checking out Sebastian also which has some very reasonably priced housing and is a good bit more family-oriented versus retirees which you'll see a lot of in Vero Beach.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 AM

Thanks kyle! Will look into that one also.

we should be able to look more around 120000 to 130000 price range now which really will make a big difference. Some very nice homes around vero for 130s!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
You need to save a little more. Charlotte county is probably more affordable. Englewood also has more affordable properties but it might be a little isolated.

Yes the West coast is older but it also has nicer beaches. I think I would prefer the West coast.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Ok so, I have ruled out port charlotte and cape coral now and added vero beach area. Also taking out sarasota because of not much in price range. Removed ocala to because its just to far north of where we want to be. So, heres new possibility list..

vero beach - love that its smaller size with lots to do
north port
osprey, venice & englewood
eustis/mt dora
punta gorda
lakeland - still love the central location.. but iv heard so many talk about high risk of sinkholes and damage from that.. still considering.

Also we will be able to up our price range to $150k now which really helped, lot more housing options in that range. That is our max, couldnt do more then that without getting a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida