U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 5,402 times

Advertisements

Trying to convince myself Key Largo will work but it's about 2 hours to MIA (Miami International Airport? My friends say it's one hour no traffic, but others advise it's 2 hours. Another issue about the Keys it's kinda dead during the week. I'm not a Boater and I don't fish but I guess I could take up the hobby but the water lifestyle in the Keys can get expensive.

Keep the wonderful feedback coming

Thanks you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,101,930 times
St. Augustine? Not as warm as where you were looking, but fits other criteria and not far from Jax and driveable to Orlando.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,204,362 times
My sister and her partner live in marathon and have their plane right across the street. Marathon is definitely a sleepy town and you will hear English there. When they stay in Miami they use tamiami airport to marathon and the fees aren't that bad, in fact probably better then MIA for small planes and jets.

Sister and partner own the last two properties with amazing views and they purchased both for your price point although they did so by knowing the community.

Anything around the canal that open up to the bays are really nice if you prefer a sleepy town, if you want more hip then you will be bored with the keys.

I would not consider anything in Miami since it is mostly Hispanic, enough that I even get overwhelmed by it and I am Cuban but grew up in Anglo nieborhoods until I was 20.

Stick to north broward and upwards.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 4,052 times
Wow, this post is offensive. I live in the Gables and speak English and Spanish. Please don't tell me you could not find anyone that spoke English in the Gables.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,204,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisbel65 View Post
Wow, this post is offensive. I live in the Gables and speak English and Spanish. Please don't tell me you could not find anyone that spoke English in the Gables.
I think Op would just rather hear it more often. Look I can speak both languages and I am Cuban and while I understand and love my culture when we came here in 68 we the kids grew up in a part of jersey that was mostly white non Hispanic because of dad's job.

Growing up this way it jarred us when we came to Miami back in 1978 and back then we were a minority, so I understand when Miami county can be over bearing at times. It is not that hearing Spanish is a problem, it is when you are a minority and the comfort level is not there because you feel isolated.

I also feel isolated when visiting husband's family in NC and some not all folks look at me as a oddity when they thought I was American and find out I am Cuban.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
My sister and her partner live in marathon and have their plane right across the street. Marathon is definitely a sleepy town and you will hear English there. When they stay in Miami they use tamiami airport to marathon and the fees aren't that bad, in fact probably better then MIA for small planes and jets. Sister and partner own the last two properties with amazing views and they purchased both for your price point although they did so by knowing the community. Anything around the canal that open up to the bays are really nice if you prefer a sleepy town, if you want more hip then you will be bored with the keys. I would not consider anything in Miami since it is mostly Hispanic, enough that I even get overwhelmed by it and I am Cuban but grew up in Anglo neighborhoods until I was 20. Stick to north Broward and upwards.
Thanks a million Cubanchic. What about Key Largo? Because Key Largo is closer to Miami but still in the Keys. Islamorada is nice but not sure how far $500,000 goes for a decent house with water view? Tamiami Airport and Airports in the Keys will not work for me. I mostly fly out of MIA and Fort Lauderdale. Ideally, these are the best airports for my business. MIA is the best Airport for me but I refuse to live or buy a home in the Miami area. I suppose a catch 22 if you will. Aventura had my interest but after living there, the traffic jams are insane. A fellow co-pilot recommends Harbor Beach of Ft. Lauderdale but homes there are $1M and up.

I'm in a real predicament

Thanks for your input

Last edited by Keep_on_Truckin; 03-09-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Having worked in the Airline Industry since 1986, I can tell you with certainty that very few Pilots would ever call Miami home. Boca Raton, Jupiter, FLL, Stuart, Vero and upper Keys are popular. But never Miami. I have only one fellow Pilot friend living in Miami but his home is gated in a gated community and all his neighbors speak english.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Having worked in the Airline Industry since 1986, I can tell you with certainty that very few Pilots would ever call Miami home. Boca Raton, Jupiter, FLL, Stuart, Vero and upper Keys are popular. But never Miami. I have only one fellow Pilot friend living in Miami but his home is gated in a gated community and all his neighbors speak english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or