U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 PM

9 posts, read 5,392 times

Advertisements

I'm on a serious and expensive quest to find a city with the following criteria, although born and raised in a small city in Central Florida and as my occupation as a private pilot and self employed since the late 80s. Having lived out in California early in my career, I wanted to go back but my ailing father and elderly mother need me relatively close to home, also the west U.S. coast seems way more expensive over-all today and not sure if it's worth a move to Calif. My folks live in a small city in Central Florida. Semi-retired. I fly privately. No children and single and 52.

MIA or Miami International Airport offers the most flying options and would love to live in Coral Gables, but having rented a condo there, the lack of daily english got to me after a while. I wanted to live in Coral Gables baldy and found a great deal. I almost purchased my dream house but could not pull the trigger because the area seems populated [and dominated to some extent] by latin immigrants who choose to communicate in spanish.

* Adult areas meaning no major universities
* Within 1 hour of a major international airport
* Decent people who have manners
* I want to hear english
* Semi affordable housing (budget $500,000) condo or house
* Would consider living on a golf course
* Near the beach is nice .....
* Six hours driving plus/minus to Central Florida

Thanks in Advance you all.

Last edited by Keep_on_Truckin; 03-09-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 PM

I'm giving the following cities serious consideration.

* Islamorada, Marathon or Key Largo
* Tequesta
* Ponte Vedra
* East Fort Lauderdale
* Jupiter Island [condo]

Last edited by Keep_on_Truckin; 03-09-2015 at 01:24 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 AM

17,937 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep_on_Truckin View Post
I'm on a serious and expensive quest to find a city with the following criteria, although born and raised in a small city in Central Florida and as my occupation as a private pilot and self employed since the late 80s. Having lived out in California early in my career, I wanted to go back but my ailing father and elderly mother need me relatively close to home, also the west U.S. coast seems way more expensive over-all today and not sure if it's worth a move to Calif. My folks live in a small city in Central Florida. Semi-retired. I fly privately. No children and single and 52.

MIA or Miami International Airport offers the most flying options and would love to live in Coral Gables, but having rented a condo there, the lack of daily english got to me after a while. I wanted to live in Coral Gables baldy and found a great deal. I almost purchased my dream house but could not pull the trigger because the area seems populated [and dominated to some extent] by latin immigrants who choose to communicate in spanish.

* Adult areas meaning no major universities
* Within 1 hour of a major international airport
* Decent people who have manners
* I want to hear english
* Semi affordable housing (budget $500,000) condo or house
* Would consider living on a golf course
* Near the beach is nice .....
* Six hours driving plus/minus to Central Florida

Thanks in Advance you all.
Boca Raton fits the bill perfectly. Virtually everyone speaks English. It's an affluent area. You are next to the beach, between two international airports and not too far from MIA.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:50 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Boca Raton fits the bill perfectly. Virtually everyone speaks English. It's an affluent area. You are next to the beach, between two international airports and not too far from MIA.
Except for the presence of Florida Atlantic University which presents a student body of around 31K. I think Tequesta would probably be a better fit given it's similar qualities minus the students.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,322,528 times
lol, why is having a university seen as a negative?

Boca prob would be great...but Boca isn't even an English name, and it has a university, so strike that off the list.

How bout Naples, FL?
Plenty of older people, no university, affluent and English speakers are in no short supply.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM

17,937 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol, why is having a university seen as a negative?

Boca prob would be great...but Boca isn't even an English name, and it has a university, so strike that off the list.

How bout Naples, FL?
Plenty of older people, no university, affluent and English speakers are in no short supply.
Boca Raton is 80% White and most of that population is affluent. Although, I didn't read the part of the university. Most students live around the university and not in a $500k neighborhood, so I don't think it would cause a headache, but up to the OP.

Naples could work too.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,096,562 times
Sarasota, Clearwater, Tampa, Venice all would fit your criteria. Predominant language on West Coast is English.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Boca Raton is pretentious and I don't care for the people there. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Naples could work too.
Naples is on the older side. Not much to do there. Retired area. Been there also. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Sarasota, Clearwater, Tampa, Venice all would fit your criteria. Predominant language on West Coast is English.
I considered Tampa or Sarasota but I have no contacts there and the area is generally older with more retired people than say the Florida east coast but thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or