U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM
 
385 posts, read 427,601 times
Reputation: 239

Advertisements

I can understand Florida has more forums than Rhode Island. However, it has more forums than California, Texas. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,810,090 times
Reputation: 2907
It's all about how much activity each city gets. Florida is the third largest state in the country, in a sunny location, that more and more people want to move too. Hence the high traffic volume of threads and the need for dedicated sections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM
 
526 posts, read 462,895 times
Reputation: 1386
I would assume it because of how much tourism we get as well as how transient our population is. Every single day we get new posts from someone up north who is sick of snow and wants to know what its like to live in xxxxxx area of Florida. They do their minimal research, move down, and 1 year later head back north b/c they realize everyday life isn't like it was when they vacationed to Disney 3 years ago.

Florida is a very transient state. I have been here a year and a half and i have seen more people come and go in that time period then i did my entire life up north. Nearly everyone i know is from somewhere out side of Florida, it is actually a pleasant surprise when you meet someone born and raised in Florida. Coming from suburban Detroit, many/most families had deep roots, that sometimes went back many generations, which is generally speaking unheard of here. Considering we overtook NY for the third rank in population, we clearly have many people moving in, with everyone having their own set of questions specific to an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,150,638 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I would assume it because of how much tourism we get as well as how transient our population is. Every single day we get new posts from someone up north who is sick of snow and wants to know what its like to live in xxxxxx area of Florida. They do their minimal research, move down, and 1 year later head back north b/c they realize everyday life isn't like it was when they vacationed to Disney 3 years ago.

Florida is a very transient state. I have been here a year and a half and i have seen more people come and go in that time period then i did my entire life up north. Nearly everyone i know is from somewhere out side of Florida, it is actually a pleasant surprise when you meet someone born and raised in Florida. Coming from suburban Detroit, many/most families had deep roots, that sometimes went back many generations, which is generally speaking unheard of here. Considering we overtook NY for the third rank in population, we clearly have many people moving in, with everyone having their own set of questions specific to an area.
Exactly and I kind of realized the same thing but like you said this very "trendy" state to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 07:31 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,855,746 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
I can understand Florida has more forums than Rhode Island. However, it has more forums than California, Texas. I don't get it.
Florida's population is pretty well spread out throughout the state with multiple metro areas. Contrast this to N.Y.where most of the population is in NYC or tx where there are 4-5 big metros and a lot of rural places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,764 posts, read 10,848,423 times
Reputation: 16639
Florida has 75-million visitors and 350 thousand new residents every year. It's the third larges and one of the fastest growing states in the U.S. -- The growth has created a thriving economy. With no state sales tax, sunshine, beaches and palm trees, it's no wonder there is a a huge 'buzz' about Florida; particularly in light of the horrific Northern winters this and last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 AM
 
526 posts, read 462,895 times
Reputation: 1386
Also, every single day you have some idiot who wants to know what area of Florida is artsy, young, similar to Boston, friendly, bohemian, good schools, no hurricanes, low crime, nice beaches, artsy, not to hot, not to cold, lots of palm trees, walkable, urban, no snakes, good drivers, friendly, with mountains nearby for hiking. I wish there was a public service announcement put out that when you move somewhere new you are supposed to adapt to the culture already present there, not try to change it to wherever you came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 12:44 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,150,638 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Also, every single day you have some idiot who wants to know what area of Florida is artsy, young, similar to Boston, friendly, bohemian, good schools, no hurricanes, low crime, nice beaches, artsy, not to hot, not to cold, lots of palm trees, walkable, urban, no snakes, good drivers, friendly, with mountains nearby for hiking. I wish there was a public service announcement put out that when you move somewhere new you are supposed to adapt to the culture already present there, not try to change it to wherever you came from.
Really ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 PM
 
15,197 posts, read 31,159,793 times
Reputation: 18364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Also, every single day you have some idiot who wants to know what area of Florida is artsy, young, similar to Boston, friendly, bohemian, good schools, no hurricanes, low crime, nice beaches, artsy, not to hot, not to cold, lots of palm trees, walkable, urban, no snakes, good drivers, friendly, with mountains nearby for hiking. I wish there was a public service announcement put out that when you move somewhere new you are supposed to adapt to the culture already present there, not try to change it to wherever you came from.
LOL - ain't that the truth!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,460 posts, read 1,493,220 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
I can understand Florida has more forums than Rhode Island. However, it has more forums than California, Texas. I don't get it.
Why are there so many fish in the sea? Why are there so many birds in the sky? There just ARE. Be at peace with it and let the life force roll over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top