Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times

Advertisements

when I lived in NJ (central NJ) our taxes were almost as high as what we pay now...$5000.00 a year and we had a two bedroom townhouse with barely a ten ft by ten ft yard. Sad, I know. The schools in our area were AWFUL! High, high crime, rioting, bomb threats and that's just an average week! I taught music there out of my own private studio and let me tell you, I could not believe the gaps in the education of my students in basic reading and math. It was sad. It was one of the biggest reasons why we moved to PA, I would never send my children to those schools.

Here in Pennsy, we pay $6800.00 in taxes for a four bed home on a third of an acre but the difference is Pennsy (or at least the East Penn School District) really uses those dollars for the schools. It one of the best districts in all of Pennsy.

My point is, raising taxes are good, but only if the extra dollars are actually used for education in Florida. Otherwise, like NJ, it will just line some other politician's pockets. Perhaps there should be a stronger system for checks and balances in FL. Then maybe things will change for education. But I do understand there are a lot of other things that affect the education system there as well. A better system for checks and balances would be a great place to start, to make sure that extra money will actually be spent on improving Florida education. It may have to start as a grass roots movement with people like novanative, who is very interested in seeing change and speaking out about it. It may sound like shoveling sand against the tide, but many major things were accomplished in this country by such movements. It's better than just complaining about it. I know nova started this thread for a helpful reason, to see what can be done. I applaud her on that. It's that kind of attitude that will bring about change.

Like the saying: A complaint with a solution is a project...a complaint without a solution is just a complaint.

Last edited by SirenSong71; 01-23-2008 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: darn spelling!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
This thread seems to focus on elementary level schools. I don't have kids, I'm a working adult attending college. As parents, I'm sure you can appreciate the importance of higher education in Florida, too.

Here are two stories that are very troubling. Who among you thinks that your children should stay in Florida to attend college?

State: Cuts put colleges' summer in doubt

State: State universities fear brain drain is setting in

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,319 times
There is a very strong motive for parents to keep their children in Florida for college. Bright Futures scholarships and Florida Pre Paid.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
There is a very strong motive for parents to keep their children in Florida for college. Bright Futures scholarships and Florida Pre Paid.
thats going to fail soon

they will have to raise tuition, and the scholarships wont match it.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times
Default You know what they say..

Unfortunately, sometimes things really have to bottom-out before they change. Because then, the only place they can go is up. Sadly, it's the students that will suffer the most unless parents and students really become super-proactive about filling the gaps in public education. However, that's easier said than done in most households where both parents work. Most parents just don't have the time - they're already stretched to their limits as it is.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 AM

University Board Orders Tuition Increase, Enrollment Cut

just bad news ....

Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 AM

USF Polytechnic Stuck In Debate

it just seems like this state is moving backwards...

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Unhappy What's worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes things really have to bottom-out before they change. Because then, the only place they can go is up. Sadly, it's the students that will suffer the most unless parents and students really become super-proactive about filling the gaps in public education. However, that's easier said than done in most households where both parents work. Most parents just don't have the time - they're already stretched to their limits as it is.
It's not just the students that will suffer. The long term econmic health of the state is at risk. The brain drain will make Florida even less attractive to big companies. Good professors will leave, and students will follow them. The human capital will suffer, and have a trickle down affect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida