U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 03:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,145,353 times

Advertisements

There have been some news updates recently regarding No Name Key, in the Florida Keys. A big lawsuit has been going on for a while regarding whether or not the 43 houses there should get grid electricity, which the island has never had previously. In the end, some got it, and some did not.

No Name is a fascinating island, for its name, and also for its history. People have often moved there specifically because it is remote and off-grid, and yet within reach of the other Keys. It is a hard-scrabble life, virtually unsurvivable for the self-reliant given the heat, the hurricanes, and the severe lack of native plants that are sufficient food supply.

I happened upon this account of No Name's history by a local historian, and thought others might enjoy the old photos, as well as the stories of murder, intrigue, Cuban Revolutionary training and the Bay of Pigs, Florida homesteading, and No Name's ties to various South Florida historical celebrities.

I am a big fan of Keys history, and am always looking for more insight into what it was like to live here back before there was a grid, or a road or even railroad for that matter - before A/C, before markets and doctors, before fruit groves, etc. The one thing I'm disappointed about is that this history points to a number of Bahamian families having settled, but histories on the Bahamian population in the Keys is quite limited, as are sufficient accounts of what it was like to live here for the many women who braved the conditions - it was not just men who came down here to work and to survive.

There were several Native American tribes who lived on the Keys, but all trace of them and their ways of life have essentially been wiped out, save some folklore about how to use some local plants medicinally, and how to erect stilt Chickee huts to get sufficient breeze and shelter above the flood line.

Check out the article (the further down you go the juicier it gets), and leave comments below: History Of No Name Key

I find it amazing that in all this time, No Name went from having one of the highest post-Native American populations in the Keys, to one of the lowest, and yet still maintains virtually the same number!

Also, if you want to see Key Deer in the wild, I was quite amazed to find that if you "street view" Google Maps (use classic, forget that new crap version that takes years to load!) around the handful of No Name Key streets, you see quite a few Key Deer out in the street running from the Google car! At first they look like dogs, until you zoom in and see mini deer! Must have been fun to be that driver! I suppose the next generation of "street views" will be taken by drones...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:13 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,772,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post

No Name is a fascinating island, for its name, and also for its history. People have often moved there specifically because it is remote and off-grid, and yet within reach of the other Keys. It is a hard-scrabble life, virtually unsurvivable for the self-reliant given the heat, the hurricanes, and the severe lack of native plants that are sufficient food supply.

You make it sound like it's in the middle of nowhere. It's connected to other keys by a road, and it's only a few minutes drive from the main and only highway in the Keys.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,145,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
You make it sound like it's in the middle of nowhere. It's connected to other keys by a road, and it's only a few minutes drive from the main and only highway in the Keys.
Reading carefully is beneficial. I said "for the self-reliant" specifically in the part you quoted. I was also specifically referring to history, and specifically mentioned before A/C, markets, and the roads we have today. It is not an easy place to live if you try to survive without the grid or benefit of conveniences on other islands.

If you bothered to read the article, you would see the stories about those who had been there earlier, who had several brushes with nearly starving to death. But thanks for taking the time to write a negative comment that was unrelated to what was actually written! It's always nice to add such a ray of sunshine to the world wherever you go!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 5,884,308 times
Interesting reading, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or