Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 14,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
So what if someone started a post, "yes we dislike native Floridians?" because this sentiment does exist, you know. Take a deep breath, allow the change to manifest, and enjoy the low property taxes that are a result of the second-home taxpayers from the north.
Moderator cut: insults are not necessary in a civil discussion .......because the whole idea of moving to this once-beautiful place was started when you saw how relaxed everything was and how nice the natives once were. What is there to like and accept about a famine of households taking up the land we all grew up on? Empty lots in a 100,000+ acre subdivision because no one can afford to pay the property taxes or mortgage. All of those empty households and lots are just gaining so much revenue and reducing our taxes by the wheel barrel full aren't they? I knew by posting here I would be 100:1 and all I would here is negative feedback. One person said the landowners were to blame for 'selling out'. Having the county or state government (run by pushy, loud-mouthed northerners) give you the ultimatum of move or be moved is not exactly selling out. Even in the case of someone selling to a developer, you would have to agree that everybody has their price. If i was offered millions for one hundred acres my great great grandfather paid 200$ for, I would pack up tomorrow. That's just human nature. I've heard several of people that I know who have sold their property say that they were regretful of ever doing it after seeing what became of it.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-15-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guicarlorobelli View Post
Then I would call you a hippocrite for living here because the whole idea of moving to this once-beautiful place was started when you saw how relaxed everything was and how nice the natives once were. What is there to like and accept about a famine of households taking up the land we all grew up on? Empty lots in a 100,000+ acre subdivision because no one can afford to pay the property taxes or mortgage. All of those empty households and lots are just gaining so much revenue and reducing our taxes by the wheel barrel full aren't they? I knew by posting here I would be 100:1 and all I would here is negative feedback. One person said the landowners were to blame for 'selling out'. Having the county or state government (run by pushy, loud-mouthed northerners) give you the ultimatum of move or be moved is not exactly selling out. Even in the case of someone selling to a developer, you would have to agree that everybody has their price. If i was offered millions for one hundred acres my great great grandfather paid 200$ for, I would pack up tomorrow. That's just human nature. I've heard several of people that I know who have sold their property say that they were regretful of ever doing it after seeing what became of it.
what i said was that longtime landowners were part of the problem by selling out to developers when their land appreciated. who cares if they were regretful? the biggest problem in our state is government spending, not northerners or southerners. the more revenue they get the more they spend. that is what is destroying our simpler lifestyle.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Imagine someone does a very tough job in NYC for 30 years, a job none of us would want, but one vital to America. Then they move to FL. They are a little pushy and want some things they had back home.

Now the same aggressive and pushy nature that allowed them to do that job up there comes with them. You can't remove the personality from the person. We all benefited from their pushiness when they were doing a job vital to America.
What job is so critical that it requires people to be rude and annoying to do it?

There is no excuse for rudeness, in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
What job is so critical that it requires people to be rude and annoying to do it?

lawyers?

seriously, guicarlorobelli - if you are that unhappy with what you see, then maybe it's time for your to move on. There's loads of places in this country that have lots of undeveloped land, peace, and quiet. Maybe you're just looking to vent?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 14,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
lawyers?

seriously, guicarlorobelli - if you are that unhappy with what you see, then maybe it's time for your to move on. There's loads of places in this country that have lots of undeveloped land, peace, and quiet. Maybe you're just looking to vent?
sure, move away from my hometown where the last six generations of my family are vested. sorry, i'm not the type to wave my whitey tighties in the air and give up. I will continue to vent on the annoying, rude, arrogant people moving here daily. Don't get me confused, not all yankees are annoying, rude and arrogant, but it's frustrating to see this place being taken over by so many people. What would that make me if I moved somewhere else? I'd be no different than the people overcrowding Florida.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Hello folks,,
OK, I had to do some deleting in this thread. Please keep it civil. Although the name of this thread could have been more thoughtfully chosen, this is a real issue and should allowed to be discussed. However! Please, no insults, no personal attacks and keep it to a civil discussion. Do not get mad when someone disagrees with you.
Thank you, you are now being returned to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Default SO true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Found this on another site.

Snowbirds moving to or from Florida

April 30th...
Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th...
Really heating up. Got to 89° today. Not a problem, I live in an air-conditioned home and drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th...
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER! Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st...
The temperature hasn't been below 90° all week, not even at night. Where are those ocean breezes we heard about? Still seems hot. Getting used to it will take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though. I'll have to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers - cheaper than the burn ointment for my hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th...
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed two days of work - what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though - got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th...
I miss our cat, Abby. He snuck into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, he'd swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and just as I opened the door he exploded all over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids he ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and poop. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th...
Ocean breezes, my [#@!$]. Hot is hot! The home air conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th...
Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp mosquitoes that are as big as B-52's. $1,500 in darn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th...
100°... Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90°. The electric bill is almost as much as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road. I hate this state.

Aug 8th...
If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his head off. [#@!$] heat! By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Garfield!

Aug 10th...
The weather report might as well be a [#@!$] recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot for two #@*& months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. And whoever came up with the statement, "it may be hot, but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion. Doesn't it ever rain in this God-forsaken place?

Aug 12th...
Welcome to Hell... Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 13th...
Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly!

Aug 14th...
Welcome to Hurricane Charley - the Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving back to Toronto where all you have to worry about is getting mugged.

I hope this state breaks in half and floats to Cuba...
I have to say I laughed while reading this one. Mainly because it is my mother and father's words! LOL!
We were from CT and in the early 80's my father took the offered transfer with Pratt and Whitney and moved us to South East FL. I was young and went kicking and screaming, I did NOT want to go. They kept talking about sun and sand, beautiful oceans blah blah blah. I did not like FL from day one. I am not a heat/sun loving person and burn like a lobster going into the pot! Well I grew up and dumb me got married at a very early age to a native Floridian. After 11 years in FL, I could stand it no more and did not want to put my children in Fl schools. I moved to TN. Within 2 years of me moving out of FL so did my parents who now complained about the heat, A/C bills, Property taxes and all the rest you wrote of above. We are all now happy half backers in TN.
To the OP, no worries, If what I am seeing here in TN is any tell tale, it won't be long before everyone in FL (including some natives) move back out of FL and into TN, they are coming here in droves! Now mind you my two children are 5th generation native Floridians and we (extended family as well) have about all moved out of FL. SO you might get your wish of a less populated FL in the next few years, but what the heck are we going to do with everyone here in TN? No worries, it is happening everywhere! The housing market has made for a mass shifting in where people live in this Country.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,841 times
Unhappy a/c full blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Found this on another site.

Snowbirds moving to or from Florida

April 30th...
Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th...
Really heating up. Got to 89° today. Not a problem, I live in an air-conditioned home and drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th...
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER! Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st...
The temperature hasn't been below 90° all week, not even at night. Where are those ocean breezes we heard about? Still seems hot. Getting used to it will take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though. I'll have to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers - cheaper than the burn ointment for my hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th...
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed two days of work - what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though - got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th...
I miss our cat, Abby. He snuck into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, he'd swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and just as I opened the door he exploded all over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids he ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and poop. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th...
Ocean breezes, my [#@!$]. Hot is hot! The home air conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th...
Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp mosquitoes that are as big as B-52's. $1,500 in darn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th...
100°... Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90°. The electric bill is almost as much as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road. I hate this state.

Aug 8th...
If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his head off. [#@!$] heat! By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Garfield!

Aug 10th...
The weather report might as well be a [#@!$] recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot for two #@*& months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. And whoever came up with the statement, "it may be hot, but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion. Doesn't it ever rain in this God-forsaken place?

Aug 12th...
Welcome to Hell... Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 13th...
Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly!

Aug 14th...
Welcome to Hurricane Charley - the Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving back to Toronto where all you have to worry about is getting mugged.

I hope this state breaks in half and floats to Cuba...
90 degrees with the a/c full blast?true?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Of course it's true. Don't move to Florida, high crime, rude people, crime, crime, rude people, crime. Move to Tennessee where the skies are always blue, it never gets hot but never gets cold (unless you want it to, then it does!) rendering A/C obsolete, social problems do not exist, and the land is verdant, hilly and affordable! Beware, only the last part is true *cough* I mean, it's great! Move out of Florida, come and ruin *cough* move to Tennessee!

Wow guys, if we keep these attitudes up (Florida, Tennessee, up north, anywhere) this whole country is ruined! I wasn't intending that as an insult to Tennessee at all, which is a beautiful state, unlike Florida, land of crime, crime, and crime.

Really though, please take that post lightly...I really was not intending that to be disruptive or offensive, but simply a bit sarcastic. And no, it's not true that it's 90 degrees with full blast. In fact the daytime temperature rarely even exceeds 90 degrees and our record high temperatures are actually lower than most of the country. However, the humidity can make it feel really brutal, and you won't get much of a relief at night, when 80 degrees at night is the norm from late June to November.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Of course it's true. Don't move to Florida, high crime, rude people, crime, crime, rude people, crime. Move to Tennessee where the skies are always blue, it never gets hot but never gets cold (unless you want it to, then it does!) rendering A/C obsolete, social problems do not exist, and the land is verdant, hilly and affordable! Beware, only the last part is true *cough* I mean, it's great! Move out of Florida, come and ruin *cough* move to Tennessee!

Wow guys, if we keep these attitudes up (Florida, Tennessee, up north, anywhere) this whole country is ruined! I wasn't intending that as an insult to Tennessee at all, which is a beautiful state, unlike Florida, land of crime, crime, and crime.

Really though, please take that post lightly...I really was not intending that to be disruptive or offensive, but simply a bit sarcastic. And no, it's not true that it's 90 degrees with full blast. In fact the daytime temperature rarely even exceeds 90 degrees and our record high temperatures are actually lower than most of the country. However, the humidity can make it feel really brutal, and you won't get much of a relief at night, when 80 degrees at night is the norm from late June to November.
I believe you totally misconstrued my post. I was just telling my experience in FL and that I moved out and know many others have done also. Trying to calm the OP down (and lighten up the whole thread because it is a real issue to many natives...in any state). I was bringing to light that all states are seeing an influx of people by using my own experiences.
I think it is the name of the thread that is the real issue here, not so much the context so I will change the name of the thread. But very curious as to why you would be involved so much on a thread that you have an issue with? Maybe adding fuel to the fire while the fire Dept. is trying to put it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida