Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong51911 View Post
So wait a minute, if we come on here NOT asking people for their advice about the potential negatives, THEN we're "starry eyed" or whatever the other person called other Florida-seekers. So apparently we can't win. If we ask about the negatives that Florida residents themselves have brought up in posts, then we're too negative. So we're either negative or starry eyed. If you're a Florida cheerleader, please, by all means be one. That's what I was looking for from the start. I wanted people to confirm one way or the other whether all the negativity is actually true or not. And I had hoped that the negative stuff was not true or being largely exaggerated. I really don't understand what your problem is with me, but this is a complete waste of both of our time arguing semantics.

Well a few people(in order to help you) asked what you and your husband currently do for work. Since you have to find jobs.

If you were both RNs vs. he is a mechanic and you're looking for admn. asst. work matters. FL salaries for the most part are much lower.

So knowing what you currently do for work would help.

Jobs come first, not being a "foodie", unless someone is moving who is retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
We left FL in 2011 for jobs in TX. Coming back in a few months to FL for good. Can't beat the ocean, the weather and the outdoors opportunities. If you like being outside, 30+% of FL is public lands and the FL state parks are well organized, there is something for everyone (compare this to paltry 4% of all lands being public in TX, everything here is fenced and private!). We also love the FL vibe, TX feels like a police state full of conservative and religious robots (please do not take offense, for someone who is neither, this is how it feels - never seen so many churches per sq mile as here!).

Just my personal observations. Are there things bad about FL? Sure, my biggest pet peeve is NY/NJ/wherever transplants who do not respect the place they moved to (or purchased a 2nd home in) and treat it like a disposable playground. But, that has been happening to FL for 100+ years. 2nd biggest pet peeve is crime. However, it's not like other places don't have the crime... Heck, for 5 years we lived in PBC we were never victims of crime and then we moved to a sleepy small town in TX and our car got broken into parked roadside while we were hiking on a "sleepy country road" in an area where the crime rate is well below national average. A few months later someone stole an Amazon package from behind our gate where we live on a "sleepy country road".

3rd pet peeve is that most people only know FL as the tiny strip of land on both coasts. They have no clue FL is also ranches, national forests, horses and cattle and a whole lot of history

As for your particular questions - I would say what previous posters have said - make sure you have a job waiting for you in FL. Unless you are independently wealthy, that is....

Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Ya know, I am wondering ........ Many people have asked questions about what they will do for work, budget, etc. and not one time has the OP addressed the questions...just seems to want to argue. My point.... useless to try to help if we don't get answers to questions needed to help them.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Ya know, I am wondering ........ Many people have asked questions about what they will do for work, budget, etc. and not one time has the OP addressed the questions...just seems to want to argue. My point.... useless to try to help if we don't get answers to questions needed to help them.
This ^^^. Reps to you.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 51,589 times
Take a look at Palm Coast...located between Daytona and St. Augustine. Here's a link to a video my fellow realtors and myself developed to introduce people to this most wonderful city few people have ever heard of...Palm Coast. While it's not the best place for jobs, we are only 20 -30 minutes from Daytona and St. Augustine, where jobs are plentiful and growing.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-23-2015 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Advertising Not Allowed

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Well stated. FL, like anywhere, is what u make of it. FL is a tough state when it comes to being poor and/or down and out. Its a place where one must try to succeed. Its all here for those who reach out and grab a piece. Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
We left FL in 2011 for jobs in TX. Coming back in a few months to FL for good. Can't beat the ocean, the weather and the outdoors opportunities. If you like being outside, 30+% of FL is public lands and the FL state parks are well organized, there is something for everyone (compare this to paltry 4% of all lands being public in TX, everything here is fenced and private!). We also love the FL vibe, TX feels like a police state full of conservative and religious robots (please do not take offense, for someone who is neither, this is how it feels - never seen so many churches per sq mile as here!).

Just my personal observations. Are there things bad about FL? Sure, my biggest pet peeve is NY/NJ/wherever transplants who do not respect the place they moved to (or purchased a 2nd home in) and treat it like a disposable playground. But, that has been happening to FL for 100+ years. 2nd biggest pet peeve is crime. However, it's not like other places don't have the crime... Heck, for 5 years we lived in PBC we were never victims of crime and then we moved to a sleepy small town in TX and our car got broken into parked roadside while we were hiking on a "sleepy country road" in an area where the crime rate is well below national average. A few months later someone stole an Amazon package from behind our gate where we live on a "sleepy country road".

3rd pet peeve is that most people only know FL as the tiny strip of land on both coasts. They have no clue FL is also ranches, national forests, horses and cattle and a whole lot of history

As for your particular questions - I would say what previous posters have said - make sure you have a job waiting for you in FL. Unless you are independently wealthy, that is....

Old 04-11-2015, 10:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I can get a feeling of how bad this past winter has been by the number of "Moving to Florida soon" threads that have been started by people from Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Upstate New York and the the Boston area.

It was a very bad winter for a lot of people. It was a record breaker. So was 2014. People reach, at some point, their limit of tolerance for everything. Weather is one of them.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM

113 posts, read 223,553 times
There are two types of people in Florida: Floridians and people who happen to live in Florida. Where you were born and raised is irrelevant. I'm a Floridian through and through. I've lived in a couple of other states, but this is just home to me. I can deal with the bad, because the good is so completely worth it.

Those who have said that you can't get a decent apartment near the beach for $800/month are incorrect. I mean, it depends on your definition of "near" the beach - walking distance probably won't happen, but a 15 minute drive is completely do-able. You just have to do some research. I'm planning a move to St. Pete (currently living in the panhandle, which is basically lower Alabama). I have the same budget and have a list of about 15 apartment complexes that are not only under $800, but have a pool, balconies in all units, allow pets, and have good ratings on apartmentratings.com. And that's only in part of the city.

I would recommend checking out St. Pete - it's a big enough city that jobs should be fairly easy to find, and if you don't mind a commute then Tampa is right there. It seems to hit a lot of the points on your list. Whatever you decide, I say go with your heart! If you can't get Florida out of your head, maybe that means you should be here! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida