Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 07:18 PM

47 posts, read 71,617 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a decent neighborhood not necessarily to raise a family but just with low crime rate. I also want to get out of a snowy place such as Colorado which is where I currently am located. I have narrowed down Miami on the east coast southern side of Florida and Cape Coral and Fort Myers on the west. I am still in my 20's I am young so I do not have that big of an issue with a busy place such as Miami but then again I have seen a lot of threads stirring people away from it. I would like to hear some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:57 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Moved this to the Florida forum.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
In a nutshell:

Miami if you're young and into nightlife and having other young people around. It's busy, it's Hispanic culturally, it's beautiful naturally, it's traffic is hell, but it's great for people in their 20s.

Cape Coral/Ft.Myers if you want a slow-paced way of life surrounded by majority old people and cotton tops. More of a lazy days by the beach/pool feel.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM

290 posts, read 339,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
I am looking for a decent neighborhood not necessarily to raise a family but just with low crime rate. I also want to get out of a snowy place such as Colorado which is where I currently am located. I have narrowed down Miami on the east coast southern side of Florida and Cape Coral and Fort Myers on the west. I am still in my 20's I am young so I do not have that big of an issue with a busy place such as Miami but then again I have seen a lot of threads stirring people away from it. I would like to hear some opinions.
Miami and Fort Myers are very different, how did you narrow it down to those two?

Old 04-07-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
Miami and Fort Myers are very different, how did you narrow it down to those two?
I narrowed it down because I have visited fort myers and cape coral both. I have never been to Miami but I would love to go. The only thing is that when I went to fort myers/cape coral I was visiting grandma and she is old and not so into the young miami life. Me on the other hand I would'nt mind it so much especially because I hope to marry a beautiful woman one day and I think that Miami would be a lot better then an area with a bunch of old people. As far as traffic I will not let that get in the way of living in a nice warm area that is beautiful. I would like to avoid areas with crime however, and overall just enjoy a nice life.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:56 PM

290 posts, read 339,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
I narrowed it down because I have visited fort myers and cape coral both. I have never been to Miami but I would love to go. The only thing is that when I went to fort myers/cape coral I was visiting grandma and she is old and not so into the young miami life. Me on the other hand I would'nt mind it so much especially because I hope to marry a beautiful woman one day and I think that Miami would be a lot better then an area with a bunch of old people. As far as traffic I will not let that get in the way of living in a nice warm area that is beautiful. I would like to avoid areas with crime however, and overall just enjoy a nice life.
You sound like you're pretty young so I'd go with Miami on that basis... Miami is an alpha world city so Fort Myers, while nice, just can't begin to compare with the opportunities you'll get from living Miami. Sure it is expensive, there's some traffic, and some parts are dangerous, but overall I think Miami is the clear choice.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
Go for Miami, but find a place to live on the basis of the job. The commute can be a PITA. You don't want to commute to downtown Miami from Pompano Beach, for example. But the beach life, etc for a 20-something is greatness. Then there's the overnight cruises to the Bahamas, etc, down to Key West......

Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Go for Miami, but find a place to live on the basis of the job. The commute can be a PITA. You don't want to commute to downtown Miami from Pompano Beach, for example. But the beach life, etc for a 20-something is greatness. Then there's the overnight cruises to the Bahamas, etc, down to Key West......
I wouldn't mind at most a 1 hour commute to work and back anything more is going to suck.. Is pompano beach about an hour??? Also what are the safer neighbor hoods in Miami that are still somewhat affordable I don't want to end up in a rundown area.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:02 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,556 times
An hour commute in Miami, during rush hour, means living within 20 miles of your workplace. I live 18 miles from work, since I mainly work off peak hours, it's only a 20 min. commute. On those days where I'm stuck going home in rush hour traffic, it can be as much as 90 min. Pompano will easily be an hour to 3 hours, depending on the time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida