U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,418,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadpoet1 View Post
Sounds like a super cliché to move from the north to the south, but I have my own reasons. I have lived in Nebraska most of my life, and I lived in Florida for a year when I was younger, also northwest Arkansas for a short amount of time, and since 2009, Columbus Ohio has been my home. When I first moved here, the impressions for the first couple years I had of this place were more positive. It was very affordable when I first moved there; groceries were cheap, rent was fair, electricity was a little high, wages were decent. In the last 3-4 years, rent has skyrocketed and everything is getting super expensive, and the electricity is a monopoly with out of control prices. If you own a 3-4 bedroom house here, it will cost you 200-250 dollars a month for electricity and 75 for water. There is local income tax here(2.5%) but I see little return for city services. The city is getting more trashy and more dirty every year. Yes there's nice areas here but they are becoming less affordable to live in. There's a shrinking happy medium of affordable yet nice places to live. The ghetto is expanding outwards from the city while the center of the city is being revitalized into expensive houses and luxury apartments. Sales tax has gone up as well. The amount of people on welfare here is absolutely horrible. I realize that each city and state faces its own problems but I feel like this city is headed in a wrong direction and quite fast. I look back and realize how much I miss living in Florida. I lived in a smaller town called North Port. I'm not sure I will move back to that area specifically, but I'm willing to check out a few areas on my travels.

Okay, have a safe trip and I hope you find what you are looking for in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,099,863 times
Lol, wow, really hating on Columbus, and trying to relocate to a state you lived 1 year in while you were younger, seems you might not know what you're getting yourself into.

Also, if you moved there in 2009 and rents are increasing now, it might have to do with the economy...I mean, 2009 was the worst year for that and things have begun to rebound now.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 AM

776 posts, read 1,645,627 times
one thing is for sure if you get to southern Florida and you will never deal with snow again!!!! you will be way closer to the beach and ocean!!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 PM

22 posts, read 16,142 times
Dude, please reconsider. I moved down to the Tampa bay area from Columbus, mostly to evade the winters and for a change of scenery. While I do enjoy the climate and the ocean views down here in FL, I would totally go back to Columbus to be around more intelligent and cultured people. The thing you said about people being on welfare in C-BUS...LOL move down here and pretty much every young person you meet is living off the government or their dying grandparents. I live in a safe area but pay $840 for a 600 square foot apartment without w/d hookup or a dishwasher or any extras. So it is not necessarily cheaper down here. In my opinion, the cost of living is fairly on par with what I was used to in Columbus, but I feel like I could get a little more space in Columbus and be in a more desirable area, closer to the conveniences of a large city in the bargain. Also, professional opportunities are not so hot. I have a bachelor's degree and have found that aside from the service industry, there's not a whole lot going on here for a YP. If I move to another part of Florida, it would probably be Sarasota or maybe even Orlando. Otherwise, I'm considering moving back to Columbus because it feels so hip and progressive compared to FL.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,302,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchere90 View Post
Dude, please reconsider. I moved down to the Tampa bay area from Columbus, mostly to evade the winters and for a change of scenery. While I do enjoy the climate and the ocean views down here in FL, I would totally go back to Columbus to be around more intelligent and cultured people. The thing you said about people being on welfare in C-BUS...LOL move down here and pretty much every young person you meet is living off the government or their dying grandparents. I live in a safe area but pay $840 for a 600 square foot apartment without w/d hookup or a dishwasher or any extras. So it is not necessarily cheaper down here. In my opinion, the cost of living is fairly on par with what I was used to in Columbus, but I feel like I could get a little more space in Columbus and be in a more desirable area, closer to the conveniences of a large city in the bargain. Also, professional opportunities are not so hot. I have a bachelor's degree and have found that aside from the service industry, there's not a whole lot going on here for a YP. If I move to another part of Florida, it would probably be Sarasota or maybe even Orlando. Otherwise, I'm considering moving back to Columbus because it feels so hip and progressive compared to FL.
You should post this in the TB forum - there are a lot of posters there that think it's paradise and don't see the things you're posting about.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:08 PM

44 posts, read 41,702 times
It's really all about you. It's about which city you live in, which friends you make, what type of employment you are looking for, your frame of mind, etc. If you think positive, your chances of success both professional and personal are greater. I'm a Realtor here in Palm Coast, have and advanced college degree, have great friends both intelligent and interesting and fun to be with, find lots of things to do both socially and culturally and just love the more relaxed atmosphere compared to living in the Northeast. I have helped a number of friends from from upstate NY relocate to Palm Coast and every one of them would never move back. Part of their reason fro loving it here is that Palm Coast is a great city. The other part of the reason is that they made up their minds that they wanted to escape the terrible weather and high taxes, poor roads and generally high cost of living. All love the lifestyle here. So much to do either right here in Palm Coast or in neighboring cities. 125 miles of bike/walking/jogging trails, just a few minutes to uncrowded beaches, fishing out your back door or on the intracoastal waterway, beautiful state, federal and city parks, etc., etc., etc.

So, again, its really up to you. Decide what you want and, once you make that decision, stop thinking of the negative and start thinking of how you can achieve your goals.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM

499 posts, read 417,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgordon18 View Post
It's really all about you. It's about which city you live in, which friends you make, what type of employment you are looking for, your frame of mind, etc. If you think positive, your chances of success both professional and personal are greater. I'm a Realtor here in Palm Coast, have and advanced college degree, have great friends both intelligent and interesting and fun to be with, find lots of things to do both socially and culturally and just love the more relaxed atmosphere compared to living in the Northeast. I have helped a number of friends from from upstate NY relocate to Palm Coast and every one of them would never move back. Part of their reason fro loving it here is that Palm Coast is a great city. The other part of the reason is that they made up their minds that they wanted to escape the terrible weather and high taxes, poor roads and generally high cost of living. All love the lifestyle here. So much to do either right here in Palm Coast or in neighboring cities. 125 miles of bike/walking/jogging trails, just a few minutes to uncrowded beaches, fishing out your back door or on the intracoastal waterway, beautiful state, federal and city parks, etc., etc., etc.

So, again, its really up to you. Decide what you want and, once you make that decision, stop thinking of the negative and start thinking of how you can achieve your goals.
Very true - great post!

Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 1,093,136 times
I am also from Ohio, but love Florida. My grandparents live there, but my plans are still a few years away. I am finishing college here and then IF I can find a job in Florida I will make the move. Once I decide where I want to be I plan on taking the CPA exam. Until then I will just look forward to my vacations there.

Out of state tuition is pricey, but college is pricey in general. If you do go to college there, roommates is key. It will help cut back on some of the costs of rent. But many colleges require you live on campus at least the first year.

Also, the crazy **** that happens in Ohio, happens in Florida too. I feel like there is always some nuts news coming outta Florida. Just make sure you wanna go for the right reasons.

You're young though, so give it a try. Just be smart about it as well. Best of luck!

Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM

296 posts, read 234,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadpoet1 View Post
I don't have any half-baked plans. I have a bunch of money saved up and I'm planning to go to college because the universities are double the cost here. I may reconsider Florida however because I've seen how much the rent costs there. Is it normal to spend 800-1100 dollars on a halfway decent apartment that isn't in the hood?
You have to understand there are a lot of haters of Fla on here, even those that hate it so much its part of their 'handle'....so you have to pick through the garbage posts and looks for those that acutally try to help you poet.

I don't live in Fla yet, we close at the end of the month so I can't speak on some of the concerns you have, but others here will be able to help.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 AM

34,510 posts, read 41,651,081 times
As its been some time since the topic was posted it would be interesting to get an up date from the op..Did the grass turn out to be greener in Fla.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida