U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:52 PM

17,586 posts, read 10,656,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
It would be great to live anywhere if people did their homework - but that's the problem with Florida, it attracts a lot of people who used to like to skip homework in high school...
To go to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,923,550 times
I have relatives that moved here from the Middle East with no savings and become millionaires over time, it can be done, granted it is tougher now than in the past. You have to strong work ethic, strong will and be a tough minded person and learn from your failures. You have to have a dream but a dream without a plan is just a wish.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,070,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I have relatives that moved here from the Middle East with no savings and become millionaires over time, it can be done, granted it is tougher now than in the past. You have to strong work ethic, strong will and be a tough minded person and learn from your failures. You have to have a dream but a dream without a plan is just a wish.
The problem is, there are a lot more (the vast majority) of people that want to take the easy route instead of working their asses off for something. We all know successful people and people that work hard, but we also all know people who are lazy, not willing to work and feel entitled.

My relatives are the type that 'hope' things will happen instead of making things happen. I just think they believe that once they don't have to deal with nasty winters, that life will be better. That if they're having a bad day, they can just go to the beach, sit under a palm tree and all their troubles will go away.
Granted, that's what Jimmy Buffett says we should do, but in reality, that's not how life works.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 AM

10,248 posts, read 12,281,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I have a relative who is somewhat of a dreamer. He/she's tired of living in their Midwest state and thinks everything will be better in life if they can just get to the Sunshine state. "We'll worry about jobs/money, etc when we get there, but first we got to get there." I honestly believe that a 'beach bum' is an actual lifestyle.

Sort of reminds me of the Guns n Roses video "Welcome to the Jungle" about the small town kid who takes the bus to Hollywood to try and make it big.
Everytime I see a beat-up car driving south on I-95 that's loaded for the move, I think the same thing.

I'm sure there are tons of these types of stories that don't end well.
Here is the classic "move to Flariduh" video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Edit: someone else also posted it......sorry

Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 AM

10,248 posts, read 12,281,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The problem is, there are a lot more (the vast majority) of people that want to take the easy route instead of working their asses off for something. We all know successful people and people that work hard, but we also all know people who are lazy, not willing to work and feel entitled.

My relatives are the type that 'hope' things will happen instead of making things happen. I just think they believe that once they don't have to deal with nasty winters, that life will be better. That if they're having a bad day, they can just go to the beach, sit under a palm tree and all their troubles will go away.
Granted, that's what Jimmy Buffett says we should do, but in reality, that's not how life works.
1. Jimmy Buffet is a multi-millionaire that lives in Palm Beach, not Key West
2. Florida is full of people with burnt out dreams. Left Main Street, USA years ago with dreams of renting beach chairs to tourists while drinking Margaritas all day but instead wound up in a dead end job barely making ends meet.
3. While FL is a great vacation destination for most, it becomes an oasis for many that really turns out to be a mirage!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 AM

15,431 posts, read 12,165,241 times
Great thread. And StarfishKey...wish I could give you more reps!
My story..
I went down on Spring break before most of you were born...first snow
to hit Buffalo, NY, dropped outta college and drove to Key West...a world
I had never known...sun and warmth in WINTER! Yay!
Had a new car, money and a doggy...I did crash on a guy's couch one night before
I could find a place, didn't want to waste $$ on a motel, had to conserve for a security deposit...
15 years later ran into him in Gainesville!

A cottage was $60 a month...a small apartment on Fleming, pretty close
to the library, was even cheaper, can't remember.

Always had a job, sometimes roommates, lived there 3 years,
but, one summer cheated and left for
Prince Edward Island (Nova Scotia) and Bar Harbor, ME, tho...
Eventually moved to Winter Park, then school in Gainesville...
still like good weather so now in CO.

I heard a few years later rents had quadrupled, the whole place had 'been discovered'.

StarfishKey is correct, now every square inch is owned and protected by
neighbors watching everything.

No mention of camping areas so far...I parked one day at one only to
picnic for the day and my perfect bike rack was stolen leaving only the connector straps...what
good was it then?
Sad day for me, and an eye opener.

Eyes are on you
, also, if you plan on parking 'unnoticed' in a hotel's
parking lot to sleep. You will get a knock on your window.
Perhaps one night if you blended in, in between cars, you could get lucky, once.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
It would be great to live anywhere if people did their homework - but that's the problem with Florida, it attracts a lot of people who used to like to skip homework in high school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
To go to the beach.
More like those that would like to go out and smoke one (you choose what) in the parking lot.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Great thread. And StarfishKey...wish I could give you more reps!
My story..
I went down on Spring break before most of you were born...first snow
to hit Buffalo, NY, dropped outta college and drove to Key West...a world
I had never known...sun and warmth in WINTER! Yay!
Had a new car, money and a doggy...I did crash on a guy's couch one night before
I could find a place, didn't want to waste $$ on a motel, had to conserve for a security deposit...
15 years later ran into him in Gainesville!

A cottage was $60 a month...a small apartment on Fleming, pretty close
to the library, was even cheaper, can't remember.

Always had a job, sometimes roommates, lived there 3 years,
but, one summer cheated and left for
Prince Edward Island (Nova Scotia) and Bar Harbor, ME, tho...
Eventually moved to Winter Park, then school in Gainesville...
still like good weather so now in CO.

I heard a few years later rents had quadrupled, the whole place had 'been discovered'.

StarfishKey is correct, now every square inch is owned and protected by
neighbors watching everything.

No mention of camping areas so far...I parked one day at one only to
picnic for the day and my perfect bike rack was stolen leaving only the connector straps...what
good was it then?
Sad day for me, and an eye opener.

Eyes are on you
, also, if you plan on parking 'unnoticed' in a hotel's
parking lot to sleep. You will get a knock on your window.
Perhaps one night if you blended in, in between cars, you could get lucky, once.
Might that be because the Keys, (including Key West), in being discovered, are overbuilt and overpopulated and those who came to enjoy "paradise" have now ruined it?

I remember visiting the Keys in the late 70's, before all the building. While I'm sure they were more pristine before then, there were efforts to keep the building and population to a minimum so as to preserve the unique qualities of the Keys. One of the stated reasons for not widening the Overseas Highway was to discourage ever increasing traffic, and at one point building beyond a certain point was discouraged. I remember fights between environmentalists, local politicians and developers about building in the Keys and bringing in businesses and infrastructure to support the hypothetical increase in the human population,
and it looks like around the time of Hurricane Andrew when a number of escapees from the devastation of this storm moved to the Keys for good, the developers won out.

The Keys, IMO, are an overdeveloped 130 mile long tourist trap, and while you can see the natural beauty in those spots that have not yet fallen to a developers ambitions and the arrival of more folks seeking "paradise", it makes me sad to see what man has done to that amazing part of the world.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 12,165,241 times
Do you think there is a place that is kind of like the Keys in the early days...
undiscovered? With Palm trees?
Probably wrong thread.

But I was thinking maybe 30 minutes inland from most beaches?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,274,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1. Jimmy Buffet is a multi-millionaire that lives in Palm Beach, not Key West
2. Florida is full of people with burnt out dreams. Left Main Street, USA years ago with dreams of renting beach chairs to tourists while drinking Margaritas all day but instead wound up in a dead end job barely making ends meet.
3. While FL is a great vacation destination for most, it becomes an oasis for many that really turns out to be a mirage!

Last I heard, he moved to the NC mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida