Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

351 posts, read 666,879 times

Advertisements

I check out all the 55+ communities in FL and I couldn't find one that allows you to have a fence so does anyone know of a 55+ communities in FL that allows you to have a fence around your yard. I'm looking at $165K for a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Maybe underground fenced w/b allowed in some 55+ communities. Some dont allow even those, though and personally am not in favor of them. The idea is most 55+ communities have lawn ppl and they just want to quickly mow lawns, not going around fences etc (plus some ppl just dont like the looks of fences esp. if the houses are close together etc).

Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
The Villages in Central Florida does.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Not all allow fences there, from what I remember certain ones do though

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Why 55+? Why not just a neighborhood where pets and fences are allowed ? Personally a 55+ community is the last place I would choose to live-----until I need assisted living:-) If you feel you need the comradery of only 55+ people join the Senior Citizens Organization in the city you choose to live.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Why 55+? Why not just a neighborhood where pets and fences are allowed ? Personally a 55+ community is the last place I would choose to live-----until I need assisted living:-) If you feel you need the comradery of only 55+ people join the Senior Citizens Organization in the city you choose to live.
Wow that wasn't their question. But we can always be sure the term HOA brings out the HOA haters.

But I can answer you. I live in a 55+ so I don't have to be bothered with your little angelic special snowflakes. Even some 55+ have entirely too lax bylaws allowing the residents to babysit their family members all week long, filling up the pool etc.

WHY would you claim people should go to a Senior Citizen's org when they have the COMMON VALUES and FRIENDSHIPS right in their own community. That's ridiculous. My HOA has so many activities and events I can't even keep track of them.

The point of an HOA is to share neighborhood common VALUES.

Do you think they sit around drooling all day long staring out the window in groups? PROTIP: They don't. And I haven't even mentioned boating, golf and tennis.

One constant thing I notice is the hostility towards HOAs especially 55+. Especially by people who WANT TO LIVE THERE but without any bylaws.

My downstairs 85 year old neighbor took care of his unwell wife for YEARS, walks to the pool every single morning for aerobics without fail and operates as the on site person for some snowbirds.

The fact you think that 55+ is interchangeable with ASSISTED LIVING just tells me you aren't familiar with either one. And insulting.

I own a dog walking/pet sitting business and GUARANTEE YOU I'm way way way way more physically active than you could possibly be. IE Having 24 dog walking jobs in one day, and several thousand jobs per year.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Many HOAs include yard maintenance, don't allow fences. However, doesn't mean all. And that includes both age-restricted and non restricted.

Quick way to find out is to look at aerial satellite imagery of the subdivisions you are interested in. Fences show up easily. Now, fences really are not common down here, but if allowable, should have some in the subdivision.

Alternately, just get a home not in a deed-Restricted subdivision. That is what we did.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Wow that wasn't their question. But we can always be sure the term HOA brings out the HOA haters.

But I can answer you. I live in a 55+ so I don't have to be bothered with your little angelic special snowflakes. Even some 55+ have entirely too lax bylaws allowing the residents to babysit their family members all week long, filling up the pool etc.

WHY would you claim people should go to a Senior Citizen's org when they have the COMMON VALUES and FRIENDSHIPS right in their own community. That's ridiculous. My HOA has so many activities and events I can't even keep track of them.

The point of an HOA is to share neighborhood common VALUES.

Do you think they sit around drooling all day long staring out the window in groups? PROTIP: They don't. And I haven't even mentioned boating, golf and tennis.

One constant thing I notice is the hostility towards HOAs especially 55+. Especially by people who WANT TO LIVE THERE but without any bylaws.

My downstairs 85 year old neighbor took care of his unwell wife for YEARS, walks to the pool every single morning for aerobics without fail and operates as the on site person for some snowbirds.

The fact you think that 55+ is interchangeable with ASSISTED LIVING just tells me you aren't familiar with either one. And insulting.

I own a dog walking/pet sitting business and GUARANTEE YOU I'm way way way way more physically active than you could possibly be. IE Having 24 dog walking jobs in one day, and several thousand jobs per year.
The reason is they want a dog friendly yard with a fence. If having trouble finding a place in a 55+ why not broaden the chances of finding one,,,,, look to a place where it is easier to find in an HOA or not an HOA community-BTW I have lived very happily in an HOA community and am not a hater. We had dogs and a fence in our HOA. It works. My neighbors were 80 and 90 and 35. etc. They only cut the community grass we cut our own yards. the reason for senior center....some people want to be around people their own age so in a general community you may have younger neighbors and the senior center gives them the option.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 AM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
Pine Run is a 55+ community in Ocala that allows fences. Dog weight is limited to 30 lbs, I think, and no more than 2 dogs. Houses aren't $165K, though, more like $65K. Two community centers, two pools, shuffleboard, tennis, hot tubs, billiards room, library, community activities. Basic cable & trash/garbage pickup are included in the $88 a month HOA fee. Fences are supposed to be approved by the developer, but I doubt there would be a problem. I own 2 houses in Pine Run, one of which has a fenced yard.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 PM

51 posts, read 222,063 times
Both Del Webb Stone Creek and On Top of the World in Ocala allow fences on certain lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: