Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city in Florida for relocation?
Fort Lauderdale 2 4.65%
Fort Myers/Cape Coral 1 2.33%
Jacksonville 13 30.23%
Miami 3 6.98%
Naples 0 0%
Orlando 6 13.95%
Port St. Lucie 0 0%
Sarasota 0 0%
Tallahassee 2 4.65%
Tampa Bay 13 30.23%
West Palm Beach 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 AM

779 posts, read 927,107 times

Advertisements

Which major city in Florida is best for relocation based on it's job market and cost of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
I think this kind of question is really misleading - the answer is dependent on WHAT you do for a living, and on what kind of lifestyle you have. Not all job markets are the same, and not everything costs the same. Some locations will be far better for one profession than another, and some will have lower rent but higher govt. marketplace insurance costs, or might have higher car insurance, or might have such poor and dangerous schools that people feel forced to pay for private schools. Some places are cheap but so stressful and full of chemical pollution exposure that your costs go up in paying for treating diseases. Life is way more complicated than one simple answer as to what has a good job market and low COL.

Having said that, I can tell you probably the absolute worst on the list for the entire state would be the Florida Keys - nearly everything in every category is very expensive, and there are very few jobs, and what jobs there are pay almost nothing and frequently have no benefits. But there again, if one in in the military or plans to be crew on a boat, much of that may not apply. It all depends on what kind of life one plans to live.

Miami has far more corporate jobs, and health sector jobs, but most people find the COL to be very high - nearly as much as in NYC, despite salaries that are often half as much. On the other hand, if you're in something specialized like high-level IT that few people in Florida are qualified for, you may get 6-figure pay to move to the area to fill the slot.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:32 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Jacksonville in my opinion. It has a diverse job market (not largely based on tourism-sector jobs like Orlando for instance), the highest median household income of the major cities in FL (the suburbs of St John's County, Clay County and Nassau County rank 1st, 2nd and 4th respectively in the state) and a cost of living at or below the national average overall.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM

361 posts, read 837,025 times
What kind of jobs ?
If you look at the numbers, Orlando has the best job growth (4%) followed by South Florida (3.4%).
COL being cheaper in Orlando I would say that Orlando has actually the best job market and COL.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Op includes Naples and psl and fails to include space coast/Melbourne/palm bay. Fail

Looking for a good job? Try these cities - Feb. 3, 2015

Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Yes saying you have a good job market is kind of misleading because I think it depends on what field your in as for example I think the IT field is pretty strong in Tampa and Jacksonville markets but particularly in the Orlando area. The Medical field is strong all over as that's is one of the states strongest. Even education is pretty strong in all the major metro areas as areas are constantly growing and adding families. COL is going to be cheaper the more north you go but people are moving here in droves according to the latest reports so don't expect to find everything cheaper from where you come from.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Probably Orlando and Jax in that order

Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 AM

213 posts, read 422,167 times
I think Orlando has the better market over Jax, and the COL is a little more expensive, but Jax is great for the High-Level IT gigs, but as for the low level stuff... Good luck!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 AM

779 posts, read 927,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville in my opinion. It has a diverse job market (not largely based on tourism-sector jobs like Orlando for instance), the highest median household income of the major cities in FL (the suburbs of St John's County, Clay County and Nassau County rank 1st, 2nd and 4th respectively in the state) and a cost of living at or below the national average overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Probably Orlando and Jax in that order
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
I think Orlando has the better market over Jax, and the COL is a little more expensive, but Jax is great for the High-Level IT gigs, but as for the low level stuff... Good luck!
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
What kind of jobs ?
If you look at the numbers, Orlando has the best job growth (4%) followed by South Florida (3.4%).
COL being cheaper in Orlando I would say that Orlando has actually the best job market and COL.
Orlando's numbers are a mirage. It's largely built on part-time service sector/tourism jobs as evidenced by the city's lower average wages compared to other cities in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida