U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM

105 posts, read 120,547 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving over to Florida from ?Ireland in a few months, never had a driving license before, so I know I need to do a drugs + alcho course, which I can do online fairly cheap - could anyone tell me more about this, like validity, say if I did it today, would it be valid in 3 or 4 months time when I go to get my licence?

I ask because I want to be able to get a licence as soon as I arrive!! I am learning (Already know how basically) to drive over here in preperarion of taking the test ASAP!

I also know I need to do a road rules and traffic signs test, anyone have info on this, is it crazy hard or if I just read the florida drivers manual, I will be fine or is there stuff I will be asked that's not in there?

I know I need to prove my eligiblity, I will have my Passport with greencard stamp to prove legal status, bank statement and a comcast bill as a utility bill... would they accept that as utility?

Do I need to be insured or whatever on the car I plan on driving in, which will most likely be my mother in laws?

Any help on the above would be great!! just want to get it ASAP; only think I forsee being an issue us getting a SSN issued in time!

Thanks,

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,158,190 times
Yes, you need to be insured for the car you drive.

Talk directly to the DMV for the rest, and read their website. You want answers to be correct, not internet guesses. The tests are not crazy hard - the majority of people in FL drive, and the majority of people in FL are not geniuses. Just study the information in the manual, and practice a lot.

Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

One thing that is disturbing but may be in your favor about licenses in FL, is that they only test your vision with both eyes together. In many other states, they will test each eye, which is what they should do for safety. I am blind in one eye, and previous licenses I had from other states stated that I was required to wear visual aids to be on the road. Florida doesn't even know that, because I have exceptional vision in my other eye so with both open together I can read everything down to the bottom line on the eye chart. With one eye, I can't even read the top line. Fortunately, I am a responsible driver and do what I need to do without being told, but if something happened to my good eye I should have my license revoked and FL doesn't even know that. Standards are lower in FL than they are in other states. Just be thoughtful and responsible, and follow the laws for your own protection, as well as for the safety of others. This topic has already been discussed in another thread this week, so look there for more info. Use your turn signals, and follow the speed limit!

Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM

3,559 posts, read 6,217,564 times
A couple questions? Are you moving here permanently? The license will be valid only for the time you are legally able to stay in the states if not. Are you going to take a driver's training coarse to get experience on the road here? I would advise taking the class because the rules of the road vary from country to country. The driving instructor will also be able to tell you all you need to take to DMV with you. You will need to get a lerners permit to practice driving since you have never been a licensed driver anywhere before. I do not know if they hold adults to the same rules as teens when you get the permit but they need 50 hours or a year of driving with the permit(with a licensed driver in the car with them) before they can get the real license.

Whatever car you will use for the driving test wil have to be driven to the DMV by a licensed driver and they will need to show proof of insurance on that vehicle. If you don't have bills to prove resident, your grandmother can vouch for you at the DMV, I think. I would get a bank checking account from a local bank to make things easier, too.

Your MIL's insurance probably has a clause that any legally licensed driver will be covered when driving her car. If you buy a car on your own you will need to purchase insurance. If you ever want to rent a car you will have to show proof of insurance and your MIL's insurance will not cover you unless she adds your name on her insurance as someone who drives her car.....good idea to do that, but remember if you have an accident and the other party sues, they will sue your MIL too because the car is hers and insured by her.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 04-13-2015 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or