U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Fort Liquordale, Florida
242 posts, read 264,627 times
Reputation: 289

Advertisements

Lately I'm seeing a lot of threads from gullible if you will folks wanting to move here to escape their UP NORTH horrible life, rude and angry people, high crime, expensive shame on me life and live in harmony on the Beach with warm sunny days and nights holding a Corona in hand have been multiplying at an outlandish rate. While I'm not going to be one of those *locals* who tell others not to come here or to GO HOME -- I would like to explain something very simple:

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Florida is going to become exactly what you left behind! Yes, we have nice beaches, but not for long if everyone comes to live on those beaches! Yes our crime rate is lower than some states but not for long if our population takes a sudden increase, like now! Yes we have an abundance of water sports and those waters are going to disappear when you come and build your home on that protected reef or beach!

We have protected lands and great wildlife but that subdivision your home was built on just forced hundreds of small aquatic animals like turtles, lizards, snakes and alligators that was living there to relocate to another hood where it's chances of survival are slim to none!

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining (and complaining) how those wanting to move here should "prepared" and "have a job lined up" and "respect the locals".

You want to live the American dream on the river or lake or beach in your little scarface mansion and all is just dandy? Your 6 figure job will support you now and during the next recession, and the next, and the next? Your multiple kids will be happy and go to a wonderful high ranking school where all the teachers truly care? You want to walk leisurely every afternoon on the beach with that Corona watching the blue ocean change colors?

The bottom line is wake up! Stop moving here and causing problems for us locals! Move here and be a nice person and respect the Florida way of life. If you want to complain and act like you are better that us then bon voyage and get on the next flight back to New York or wherever it was you came from. We are fine without you, and we were here long before you rolled in to town, and we will be here long after you are gone.

Welcome to Florida!

 
Old 04-15-2015, 04:21 AM
 
90 posts, read 56,308 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Lately I'm seeing a lot of threads from gullible if you will folks wanting to move here to escape their UP NORTH horrible life, rude and angry people, high crime, expensive shame on me life and live in harmony on the Beach with warm sunny days and nights holding a Corona in hand have been multiplying at an outlandish rate. While I'm not going to be one of those *locals* who tell others not to come here or to GO HOME -- I would like to explain something very simple:

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Florida is going to become exactly what you left behind! Yes, we have nice beaches, but not for long if everyone comes to live on those beaches! Yes our crime rate is lower than some states but not for long if our population takes a sudden increase, like now! Yes we have an abundance of water sports and those waters are going to disappear when you come and build your home on that protected reef or beach!

We have protected lands and great wildlife but that subdivision your home was built on just forced hundreds of small aquatic animals like turtles, lizards, snakes and alligators that was living there to relocate to another hood where it's chances of survival are slim to none!

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining (and complaining) how those wanting to move here should "prepared" and "have a job lined up" and "respect the locals".

You want to live the American dream on the river or lake or beach in your little scarface mansion and all is just dandy? Your 6 figure job will support you now and during the next recession, and the next, and the next? Your multiple kids will be happy and go to a wonderful high ranking school where all the teachers truly care? You want to walk leisurely every afternoon on the beach with that Corona watching the blue ocean change colors?

The bottom line is wake up! Stop moving here and causing problems for us locals! Move here and be a nice person and respect the Florida way of life. If you want to complain and act like you are better that us then bon voyage and get on the next flight back to New York or wherever it was you came from. We are fine without you, and we were here long before you rolled in to town, and we will be here long after you are gone.

Welcome to Florida!
Wow...If that's not an ignorant statement then I don't know what is. Your assumptions are pretty dumb and uncalled for. Have you ever lived in any state other than Florida? Oh and please don't get me started on "causing problems for us locals". I live in CT, my wife works at the major hospital here. You couldnt even imagine how many Floridians travel up to CT, with no health insurance, and get procedures done up here. Who the heck do you think is paying for that? Is it you, or the residents of CT? Every state has their scumbags and "moochers", so please don't assume that people are going to move down to Florida to cause problems for you locals. I'm not saying, by any means, that Florida is an escape for everyone to run away from their problems and high cost of living from wherever they are from, but unless you know the facts about the high cost of living and their situations, then I think you should keep these types of ignorant and senseless comments to yourself.
 
Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Fort Liquordale, Florida
242 posts, read 264,627 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeDatSunshineState View Post
Wow...If that's not an ignorant statement then I don't know what is. Your assumptions are pretty dumb and uncalled for. Have you ever lived in any state other than Florida? Oh and please don't get me started on "causing problems for us locals". I live in CT, my wife works at the major hospital here. You couldnt even imagine how many Floridians travel up to CT, with no health insurance, and get procedures done up here. Who the heck do you think is paying for that? Is it you, or the residents of CT? Every state has their scumbags and "moochers", so please don't assume that people are going to move down to Florida to cause problems for you locals. I'm not saying, by any means, that Florida is an escape for everyone to run away from their problems and high cost of living from wherever they are from, but unless you know the facts about the high cost of living and their situations, then I think you should keep these types of ignorant and senseless comments to yourself.
I understand your complaints, but again, you sound like a very unhappy person so by moving to Florida, you will continue to be unhappy! Please fix yourself up there in CT before you come down to Florida, and again, have a good job lined up making at least six figures and don't complain and respect the locals who have lived here long before you rolled in to town. And again welcome to Florida.

Last edited by ebn78; 04-15-2015 at 05:24 AM..
 
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM
 
4,015 posts, read 5,068,854 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
I understand your complaints, but again, you sound like a very unhappy person so by moving to Florida, you will continue to be unhappy! Please fix yourself up there in CT before you come down to Florida, and again, have a good job lined up making at least six figures and don't complain and respect the locals who have lived here long before you rolled in to town. And again welcome to Florida.
Just curious....were you born in FL? Are you a 'native' or just a 'local'?

I don't want anyone else from the NE moving to where I live (even though I moved here from the MW 3 years ago) because I don't want my little piece of paradise to become any more populated either.

The problem is, when you live in a Corona commercial and life looks like a Jimmy Buffett song, lots of people would rather take a shot at obtaining a piece of that over shoveling snow again.
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
100 posts, read 99,290 times
Reputation: 126
I take extreme offense to this post and can't help but chime in - the original post sounds more like a hateful complaint of tourists/transplants than genuine "advice". Telling people to go home if they don't make above 6 figures? Seriously, when did you become everyone's financial planner?

I understand the desire to avoid overpopulation, but unless you own the entire state (which you don't); we will continue to swim in "your" beach and build houses on "your" protected land.

Not all transplants are ignorant, disrespectful, or trying to run away from problems - and not all Floridians are angels.

Live and let live.
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM
 
2,932 posts, read 4,017,744 times
Reputation: 1781
I'm not sure what's worse. The dewy- eyed dreamers thinking of moving to Florida to solve all life's problems, or the so-called "locals" complaining of every newcomer. It's a toss-up.
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Am I reading the same forum as you? I dont recall seeing any threads where people were talking abou7t "warm and sunny days and nights holding a Corona".

You call relocation "escape". It has nothing to do with escape. Its about a change of scenery, more palatable weather and may a lower cost of living.

Florida is a huge state. The cities are very crowded but if u get away from the cities there are miles and miles of open lands, hundreds of smaller towns.

I dont know where you have been, but the FL population has been growing at a good for decades.

I also fail to see people wanting to build there home on a "protected reef or beach". House on a reef?

I agree that people should have jobs lined up before getting here but that is rarely possible since employers, for the most part, do not hire people moving down due to their high potential for not staying with the job for whatever reason.

Your post goes on to mention "The American dream" of living in a river or lake. I cant recall seeing a single posting in that regard. People understand that any kind of waterfront living is very expensive.

Speaking if harmony, perhaps you should learn a little about it before your next attack on people who live in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Lately I'm seeing alot of threads from gullible if you will folks wanting to move here to escape their UP NORTH horrible life, rude and angry people, high crime, expensive shame on me life and live in harmony on the Beach with warm sunny days and nights holding a Corona in hand have been multiplying at an outlandish rate. While I'm not going to be one of those *locals* who tell others not to come here or to GO HOME -- I would like to explain something very simple:

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Florida is going to become exactly what you left behind! Yes, we have nice beaches, but not for long if everyone comes to live on those beaches! Yes our crime rate is lower than some states but not for long if our population takes a sudden increase, like now! Yes we have an abundance of water sports and those waters are going to disappear when you come and build your home on that protected reef or beach!

We have protected lands and great wildlife but that subdivision your home was built on just forced hundreds of small aquatic animals like turtles, lizards, snakes and alligators that was living there to relocate to another hood where it's chances of survival are slim to none!

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining (and complaining) how those wanting to move here should "prepared" and "have a job lined up" and "respect the locals".

You want to live the American dream on the river or lake or beach in your little scarface mansion and all is just dandy? Your 6 figure job will support you now and during the next recession, and the next, and the next? Your multiple kids will be happy and go to a wonderful high ranking school where all the teachers truly care? You want to walk leisurely every afternoon on the beach with that Corona watching the blue ocean change colors?

The bottom line is wake up! Stop moving here and causing problems for us locals! Move here and be a nice person and respect the Florida way of life. If you want to complain and act like you are better that us then bon voyage and get on the next flight back to New York or wherever it was you came from. We are fine without you, and we were here long before you rolled in to town, and we will be here long after you are gone.

Welcome to Florida!
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I'm not sure what's worse. The dewy- eyed dreamers thinking of moving to Florida to solve all life's problems, or the so-called "locals" complaining of every newcomer. It's a toss-up.
Where do u and a few others come up with the idea that those who relocate do so to solve problems or are running away from something? How would a relocation solve any "problems"?
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019
Just another "local" who hates their life and wants to blame everyone else for their problems.
 
Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just another "local" who hates their life and wants to blame everyone else for their problems.
Would that be the local living in Connecticut ( or anywhere in the northeast), or the local Floridian? Because as I read these posts, there seems to be mud slinging from a number of directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top