U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,252,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
But that is not this thread.
I know, I was just saying some people don't. I like it, was born here, but it has its warts for sure. And then there are others that blame the state on everything- I'm thankful for what I've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 PM

4,988 posts, read 7,303,015 times
This has been a well known fact for like...decades...

So idk what there is to discuss.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:18 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,252,914 times
i'd say the bigger phenomenon is not the amount of people from other places, we know they come here to escape high tax states, cold weather states ,etc. But why so many Floridians leave.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 PM

242 posts, read 264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i'd say the bigger phenomenon is not the amount of people from other places, we know they come here to escape high tax states, cold weather states ,etc. But why so many Floridians leave.
We want to leave because we get fed up with all the moochers, leaches, hanger-ons, bums, losers, guidos, bros, freeloaders, self entitled lazy immigrants, etc.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:14 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,060,648 times
For various reasons, many natives rationalize that they're able to do better elsewhere (be it work or welfare-related) and, having grown up here, the nearly perpetual sunshine isn't as magical as it seems to be for the starry-eyed young folks and retirement-oriented seniors.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,046,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Lots of people have moved here and had their families here in Florida making all kinds of new native Floridians. They may not look,speak, or act like the native Floridians who rant about too many people moving here and changing things; but kids like my sons are native Floridians born and bred. They come in all colors, may have different accents, and educations, but they are still native Floridians. They may just be harder to recognize from a distance because they might be wearing a Yankees t-shirt etc. because the families still have deep ties to where their parents or grandparents live.
And that, my dear, is the problem with Florida.

During the 12 years I lived in Florida, I met a number of "native" Floridians, mostly kids under the age of 25 with parents from up North. Most of these kids were prouder to be the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be "from" Florida.

I even knew of kids who were born in Florida that would often lie about where they were born and raised because, in my area, being from New York or New Jersey was "cooler" and less embarrassing than actually being from Florida.

My very own cousins were born and raised in Naples, FL, but they always referred to Providence, RI, the birthplace of my uncle and home to much of our family, as "home." Not to mention they're die-hard Boston sports fans, too.

Just very, very strange, IMO, especially since most of these kids haven't lived a day of their lives up North, and they certainly haven't spent a winter there!

At first, I attributed this lack of hometown pride to the transient, "revolving-door" nature of the state. However, I never witnessed or experienced a lack of state or local pride in other states that are home to as many transplants and shallow-rooted communities such as Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, et al. Natives of those states, although few and far between, are often "dyed-in-the-wool," so to speak.

You simply don't have any fiercely prideful or "dyed-in-the-wool" natives in Florida, which leads me to believe this kind of stuff only happens in Florida because of people like Rabflmom among others who want their kids to *LOVE* everything New York, Boston, Philly, etc. and "pass for" natives of those places.

I take real issue with that because these kids are NOT from New York, Boston, or Philly. If you wanted your children to be New Yorkers, maybe you should have raised them there.

What these parents and grandparents are doing is continuing to foster a lack of state/local pride in Florida. Not only are the communities are shallow-rooted to begin with, but now the handful of people actually born and raised in these communities don't have any hometown pride because they were taught that everything was "so much bettah" up in New York, Boston, or Chicago.

Why do you think so many native Floridians move out of Florida? Honestly, I've met 3-4x as many native Floridians outside of Florida in states like Arizona, California, Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas than I ever did while actually living in Florida.

I used to think native Floridians, who have long been outnumbered by transplants, were embellishing in their disdain for Northerners, but there is some truth to it. If you moved to California, Texas, or Georgia with that "everything in New Yawk is so much bettah" attitude/mindset, the locals there, whether native or not, would certainly put you in check.

Just a really sorry situation down there, IMO.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM

499 posts, read 415,067 times
Now I remember why I have to periodically take breaks from posting here. Seriously, we are all people, human beings, Americans...why such intolerance? Do me a favor and substitute the word BLACK or GAY or JEW for Transplant/Northeasterner/NYer/Northerner/Yankee/Guido or whatever other term you use to describe us, and see what you actually sound like. ***MOD CUT***

Do you realize what this sounds like? No wonder bullying is so rampant in our society. Nauseating!

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-20-2015 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 04-20-2015, 03:17 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,046,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Now I remember why I have to periodically take breaks from posting here. Seriously, we are all people, human beings, Americans...why such intolerance? Do me a favor and substitute the word BLACK or GAY or JEW for Transplant/Northeasterner/NYer/Northerner/Yankee/Guido or whatever other term you use to describe us, and see what you actually sound like. ***MOD CUT***

Do you realize what this sounds like? No wonder bullying is so rampant in our society. Nauseating!
It's not intolerance when you're addressing a REAL issue at hand that spawns a host of other issues. What better place than to address an issues such as this than on a "moving and relocation" forum?

Transient individuals and families create rootless communities characterized by voter apathy, decreased civic engagement levels, less support for and a general lack of interest in educational and infrastructure-related investments, diminished neighborliness, and a limited to nonexistent sense of belonging.

All of these factors contribute to higher crime rates, lower GDP, poorer public school rankings, and increased levels of depression. Compared to other states, communities in Florida, even the "better" ones, suffer disproportionately from these issues.

When you know and engage with your neighbors and remain active and involve in your community, neighborhood safety increases, school grades increase, and civic pride and neighborhood belonging increase. It's really as simple as that.

However, in most of Florida, there's little to interest in getting to know your neighbors or becoming active in your community because, after all, most people who live there probably won't be living there 5-10 years from now.

It just so happens that most of the people who spawn these issues in Florida are from up North.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 PM

6,943 posts, read 3,855,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
It's not intolerance when you're addressing a REAL issue at hand that spawns a host of other issues. What better place than to address an issues such as this than on a "moving and relocation" forum?

Transient individuals and families create rootless communities characterized by voter apathy, decreased civic engagement levels, less support for and a general lack of interest in educational and infrastructure-related investments, diminished neighborliness, and a limited to nonexistent sense of belonging.

All of these factors contribute to higher crime rates, lower GDP, poorer public school rankings, and increased levels of depression. Compared to other states, communities in Florida, even the "better" ones, suffer disproportionately from these issues.

When you know and engage with your neighbors and remain active and involve in your community, neighborhood safety increases, school grades increase, and civic pride and neighborhood belonging increase. It's really as simple as that.

However, in most of Florida, there's little to interest in getting to know your neighbors or becoming active in your community because, after all, most people who live there probably won't be living there 5-10 years from now.

It just so happens that most of the people who spawn these issues in Florida are from up North.
Okay, we get it - nothing wrong with Florida is caused by Floridians, it's all the fault of all the Yankees. Thanks, now can you address climate change?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,772,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
There is also a lot of money coming from up north and going into south Florida's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or