Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 49,112 times

Advertisements

programs for in-state residents? If so, can you share with me what you might know.

Any great areas in Fl that are kid and family friendly, good schools, and lots of sports (little league) team leagues for kids....any great FL colleges known for their baseball?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 AM

61 posts, read 267,791 times
Default Good areas in FL

The Jupiter Area is great. Lots of diversity in terms of lifestyle and COL.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:09 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate's gotta go View Post
programs for in-state residents? If so, can you share with me what you might know.

Any great areas in Fl that are kid and family friendly, good schools, and lots of sports (little league) team leagues for kids....any great FL colleges known for their baseball?

Thanks.
FL has some great world class U's "dirt cheap" for in-state.
Gainsville has fl state and although i don't know about their baseball program, all of their other athletic programs are top-knotch!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,748 times
University of Miami's baseball program has lots of championships, a nice stadium, and a great reputation.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 AM

198 posts, read 959,285 times
Florida has the bright futures award for florida students who have maintained a 12 month residency here(Please read the pdf below for full details). We also have the florida academic scholars award for those students who maintain a 3.5 gpa in high school along with other requirements. I actually got the academic scholar award many years ago and it paid for my degree. The actual cost to attend florida schools is obviously cheaper for residents than non-residents. Since I attended USF, I am more familliar with them than the other schools, but here is there cost for this year:

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/pfs/tuition_c...5_credit_hours

Wow, I when I attended USF(early 90's), it was only $47.00 an hour

As for sports, I think FSU baseball was ranked last year, but all 4 of the big schools have a variety of sports available. As I am biased, I would say the Tampa Bay area, but make sure you do your homework before blindly picking a spot....

Florida bright futures link:

https://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/pdf/BF.06-07.pdf (broken link)

and
http://www.firn.edu/doe/brfutures/fasrequire.htm (broken link)

Old 11-09-2006, 05:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
FL has some great world class U's "dirt cheap" for in-state.
Gainsville has fl state and although i don't know about their baseball program, all of their other athletic programs are top-knotch!
Not to be picky but Gainsville has Florida, (Gators), and Tallahassee has Florida State, (Seminoles). Both good schools!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 PM

39 posts, read 273,397 times
Check out the The University of Tampa they have good baseball program and it's an excellent college.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Not to be picky but Gainsville has Florida, (Gators), and Tallahassee has Florida State, (Seminoles). Both good schools!
My son applied to both of those schools.
You do have to apply early (Oct 25 & Nov 1st) if you are thinking about Bright Futures.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,362 times
Default confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate's gotta go View Post

Thanks.

are you asking two seperate questions?

Are you looking for college baseball AND for something for the younger ones?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM

272 posts, read 1,000,924 times
I went to school at both Florida and FL State...and worked for both athletic departments. Both have excellent baseball programs, and almost always start the year in the top 15, and are frequent visitors to the College World Series every June. Both have great stadiums

Univ of Miami is a private school.

Most of the colleges in FL have decent baseball teams, at the very least, mainly because the weather is perfect in the spring....some college games actually begin in FEBRUARY, no better time for a game - cool, 60 degrees.

Additionally, for the same reason (good weather year round) youth sports are big in FL.

I live in Jacksonville, and Manadarin is a big area for youth sports....
You can google 'Mandarin Athletic Association' for more info on youth sports.

Additionally, Jacksonville has just built (2003) a new minor league park for its team, the Jacksonville Suns. The are the AA affiliate of the Dodgers, and have been in the playoffs the past 3 years, winning the title in 1996, 2001, 2005, and won Baseball America's award for Best minor league team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida