U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,846,665 times
Reputation: 1238

Advertisements

Within a mile from shopping and excellent restaurants. More upscale than not. Population around 40k or less. Friendly people. Safe to walk around downtown after dark. Does this sound like any Florida city you know? Please tell me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 29,344,689 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Within a mile from shopping and excellent restaurants. More upscale than not. Population around 40k or less. Friendly people. Safe to walk around downtown after dark. Does this sound like any Florida city you know? Please tell me.
St. Augustine?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,660,762 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Within a mile from shopping and excellent restaurants. More upscale than not. Population around 40k or less. Friendly people. Safe to walk around downtown after dark. Does this sound like any Florida city you know? Please tell me.
Downtown ST petersburg but the population is more then that. You could try ST pete beach. Miami beach.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 2,330,528 times
Reputation: 185
Check out the Beaches of South Walton in the Florida panhandle ...
If you need any detailed info on the area, we would be happy to try and help ..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 2,330,528 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Check out the Beaches of South Walton in the Florida panhandle ...
If you need any detailed info on the area, we would be happy to try and help ..
Discover 30A is another good website on the area
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,846,665 times
Reputation: 1238
THANKS for the answers, so far. I have to add a tiny bit of background information. I lived in Coral Gables from the mid-60s to 2001 and saw it change from a clean, safe, charming "bedroom community" with pink sidewalks and no building over two-stories tall to what it is now; still nice by Miami standards BUT what I'm looking for (for my next relocation) is more of what the Coral Gables of the 70's used to be ........ only within walking distance to the beach. I know there are many Florida cities that would fit this description only I don't know where they are. As a senior citizen now, that lifestyle is very appealing. Small town, friendly people, safe to walk around, upscale environment, shopping and services within a few miles. Thank you for all replies and suggestions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Full time in the RV
3,238 posts, read 7,155,667 times
Reputation: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
THANKS for the answers, so far. I have to add a tiny bit of background information. I lived in Coral Gables from the mid-60s to 2001 and saw it change from a clean, safe, charming "bedroom community" with pink sidewalks and no building over two-stories tall to what it is now; still nice by Miami standards BUT what I'm looking for (for my next relocation) is more of what the Coral Gables of the 70's used to be ........ only within walking distance to the beach. I know there are many Florida cities that would fit this description only I don't know where they are. As a senior citizen now, that lifestyle is very appealing. Small town, friendly people, safe to walk around, upscale environment, shopping and services within a few miles. Thank you for all replies and suggestions.

The City of Naples, specifically in the Olde Naples neighborhood fits this criteria.

Housing there will be expensive.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:47 PM
 
621 posts, read 1,232,207 times
Reputation: 543
Vero Beach
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
 
Location: SD
895 posts, read 4,087,759 times
Reputation: 344
This will probably sound odd to some but Neptune Beach. A friend from Boston moved there with her family. They live a block off the beach in a beautiful duplex. They walk and ride bikes everywhere. And there's plenty of restaurants in the Beaches area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,511 posts, read 21,525,034 times
Reputation: 2853
Anna Maria Island

Boca Grande

Siesta Key

Manasota Key

Venice

Those are my ideas
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top