Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island
(Northeast Florida, north of Jacksonville)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Again, THANKS for all the suggestions. I'm going to eliminate the "islands" 'cause I'm too old to worry about evacuating during a hurricane warning. So, what I have left to research is Olde Naples, Vero Beach, S.Walton/Panhandle, Fernandina Beach, Venice, Boca Grande. Looking for the BEST upscale, safe to walk around downtown at night, great restaurants, near shopping and activities, small friendly Florida City -- near the beach.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Default Yeap, I understand! Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Within a mile from shopping and excellent restaurants. More upscale than not. Population around 40k or less. Friendly people. Safe to walk around downtown after dark. Does this sound like any Florida city you know? Please tell me.
Quote:
THANKS for the answers, so far. I have to add a tiny bit of background information. I lived in Coral Gables from the mid-60s to 2001 and saw it change from a clean, safe, charming "bedroom community" with pink sidewalks and no building over two-stories tall to what it is now; still nice by Miami standards BUT what I'm looking for (for my next relocation) is more of what the Coral Gables of the 70's used to be ........ only within walking distance to the beach. I know there are many Florida cities that would fit this description only I don't know where they are. As a senior citizen now, that lifestyle is very appealing. Small town, friendly people, safe to walk around, upscale environment, shopping and services within a few miles. Thank you for all replies and suggestions.
Having lived in the Gables since the 70s, I too saw the same thing an left in 2004. I would suggest something a little closer on the East Coast; West Palm has a number of small cities that fit what your looking for. Friendly, within walking distance to beach and shopping, laid back kinda 70s feel to them. I can think of about a half dozen of these. gl.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 PM

49 posts, read 141,041 times
Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach. All in the same area. Very nice towns

Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM

jbravo; can you give me a couple of those West Palm cities' names? BTW...... I looked as some of your Coral Gables photos and my old house is in one of them LOL. Perhaps we know each other? As I said, I lived in the same house from '66 to 2001 when I moved 3,000 miles away, as far as I could, but I'll always have fond memories of "The City Beautiful".

Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Destin will be a good choice....

Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Again, THANKS for all the suggestions. I'm going to eliminate the "islands" 'cause I'm too old to worry about evacuating during a hurricane warning. So, what I have left to research is Olde Naples, Vero Beach, S.Walton/Panhandle, Fernandina Beach, Venice, Boca Grande. Looking for the BEST upscale, safe to walk around downtown at night, great restaurants, near shopping and activities, small friendly Florida City -- near the beach.
Um, Fernandina Beach is *on* Amelia Island.
However, this is a barrier island with two short bridges to the mainland.
It's not as if we're miles out at sea like Nantucket.
If you're looking for the BEST upscale, I'm not sure we'd fit your needs, unless you want to live at or near Amelia Island Plantation.
One of the things I like about where we live (Fernandina Beach) is that it is fairly unpretentious, but it's definitely safe to walk around downtown at night, quite fun actually.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 AM

I LOVE RECEIVING REPLIES from people who actually live in the place they are recommending and, as I suspected..... there are very many choices on both Florida coasts. I will never be able to visit them all, therefore I'm trying to narrow the choices down to a few cities that might best fit my lifestyle. THANKS AGAIN for all the recommendations. I have my list and research to work on.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM

BUMP!!

I still have the "dream" ! Any more recommendations from people who actually LIVE CLOSE TO THE BEACH ! Thank y'all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida