Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,787 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the high price of diesel, the price of groceries, and everything else has gone up all across the country. Gasoline has dropped significantly while diesel has barely moved at all.

I have seen CD posters say how expensive Florida is since I started researching our move last year. When I retired it became my job to do the shopping and after checking grocery ads in Florida, it looks like they are about the same as everywhere else. The Naples Aldi ad is exactly like ours except for California oranges. A three pound bag is a little more in Fl.

From what I've seen, groceries prices have increased by 25% in the last 24 months. And don't get me started about how we're getting shortchanged by the amount of food in the same sized box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Kyle, Your link, ironically, is to ranking in dollars of agricultural receipts, the very measure you objected to in my post. Florida's "very little home grown agriculture" industry still ranks 1st in several different vegetable and fruit categories. We fall far behind several others when wheat is factored in, however, wheat prices at Publix was not what we were discussing.
You weren't picking up on the mention of the word "value" in terms of agricultural production. Florida ranks 2nd in the value of winter production of fruits and vegetables behind California. Not second overall all four seasons, and probably still second in the value of agricultural receipts given the lack of competition form other states at that time of the year. The point being Florida is well below at least a dozen other states once citrus crops are removed from the equation, and given our population one can see why so much is imported and why costs can be high on certain items. One simply needs to look at what Florida puts forth as "farmers markets" to realize that we're a bit short-changed in that department. Anyone who has been to a farmers market in any other state can see the distinction between a legitimate version and what is considered realistic here with a good chunk of what's offered up sold by resellers who have never farmed a day in their life. The leading tip off being produce stacked in boxes from California and Mexico, as well as such Florida "staples" as Bananas and Grapes (which by the way don't grow here commercially).

Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,553,330 times
I'm sure the drought conditions in California and Texas/Oklahoma are contributing to an increase in prices but I haven't noticed it too much (yet) in Tampa.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,118,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You weren't picking up on the mention of the word "value" in terms of agricultural production. Florida ranks 2nd in the value of winter production of fruits and vegetables behind California. Not second overall all four seasons, and probably still second in the value of agricultural receipts given the lack of competition form other states at that time of the year. The point being Florida is well below at least a dozen other states once citrus crops are removed from the equation, and given our population one can see why so much is imported and why costs can be high on certain items. One simply needs to look at what Florida puts forth as "farmers markets" to realize that we're a bit short-changed in that department. Anyone who has been to a farmers market in any other state can see the distinction between a legitimate version and what is considered realistic here with a good chunk of what's offered up sold by resellers who have never farmed a day in their life. The leading tip off being produce stacked in boxes from California and Mexico, as well as such Florida "staples" as Bananas and Grapes (which by the way don't grow here commercially).
Grapes, really? You left out cranberries and lichen.

Contrary to your claims, Florida does have a substantial agriculture business, heavy in vegetables, much of which is consumed in the state. Measure it by weight, value, truckloads or whatever satisfies you, it is substantial.

Blame your grocer for your prices if you want to complain but it ain't because we don't grow much.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Grapes, really? You left out cranberries and lichen.

Contrary to your claims, Florida does have a substantial agriculture business, heavy in vegetables, much of which is consumed in the state. Measure it by weight, value, truckloads or whatever satisfies you, it is substantial.

Blame your grocer for your prices if you want to complain but it ain't because we don't grow much.
The point being a legit farmers market wouldn't be caught dead selling bananas, grapes, cranberries or lichen.

Yes, Florida's produce is somewhat substantial and thanks to our winter production/consistency high in "value sold", though still nowhere near states in the Midwest which have a limited growing season. If one walks into a local grocery however one is hard pressed to find a lot grown locally. Try it next time by identifying produce origins at your local Publix.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,118,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Yes, Florida's produce is somewhat substantial
It was a difficult and lengthy birth but the baby is somewhat healthy.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times
I would think prices from places like Publix or Target would be the same everywhere.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,630,007 times
I can see stuff costing more in the Keys, but in southeast Florida where we have a population of about 6 million it shouldn't be a factor. Plus we are so close to foods coming from Mexico, central and south America. In NJ which only has about 8 million people grocery prices were lower and more competitive. I miss Shoprite, they always had low prices and great deals. We have Publix as the big chain, but they are a fancier supermarket with higher prices. Winn Dixie is okay but Publix and them seem to keep prices doubled on most things so they can offer buy one get one free on a rotating bases. I usually shop at Walmart, they do have the lowest prices on most things.

Also about gas, I know that out gas tax is 20 cents higher than NJ, but out gas prices should not be 40 cents higher in Florida, plus they don't even have to pump their own in nJ and still keep prices low.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,755,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I would think prices from places like Publix or Target would be the same everywhere.
Not even close. Many companies have different pricing tiers within the same county, largely depending on the demographics and competition near each store. Sometimes the advertised specials may be the same for a wide area but the vast majority of the products will vary.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
It was a difficult and lengthy birth but the baby is somewhat healthy.
No it's called moving on when people don't get it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida