U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 1,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't know who misinformed you about the west coast being less prone to hurricanes but that isn't true.

Are you a Canadian citizen? Are you legally allowed to work in the US or is your job a one shot deal?
Heya,

Yep I'm legally allowed to work in the states. I studied in the US for 7 years (got my doctorate) and worked for almost 5 after graduation. So I'm not a leech or anything. I am now interested in the Sarasota-Bradenton Area... thinking about Bradenton since you buck goes further (cost of living + housing)/it's closer to large cities such as Tampa+St. Petersburg (jobs and entertainment) and according to area vibes it's got less crime oO (didn't think so but that's what the site says).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
I love Florida its home of the newly wed and nearly dead lol

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

82 posts, read 76,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazal View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to the Sunshine Skyway right? Was looking at the Sarasota/Bradenton area - it's beautiful! Houses are reasonably priced and so is the cost of living. Guess I'll focus my week of around that area. Thanks guys!!!
I currently live in the Bradenton area but am moving to CA shortly. This is a resort area and comes with all sorts of problems that go with Florida beach towns.

1. Everyone is either retired, a tourist or a transient. It is very difficult to meet and make friends with other adult professionals. you may have better luck if you live in the city of Sarasota but even then the average age of the population is quite high and retiree's rule.
A note about the transients-a lot of them are running from past crimes, addictions, ex's, bill collectors and worse. There are a lot of registered sex offenders around here too (plus plenty who don't register!)
In fact, city-data lists 275 registered sex offenders in Bradenton as of April 29th 2015. http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Bradenton-Florida.html

One moved in next to my Mom and thought it would be fun to pound on the door and flash me when I opened it. I have been a victim of crime here and so have other people I know and we live in a "good" area by the beach. There is a real homeless problem here too ever since Sarasota started buying their homeless population one-way bus passes to Bradenton/Anna Maria island. They sleep in bench's or even in boxes and hassle you for money using all manner of scams outside the Publix (grocery store) and the convenience stores...Crazy things seem to go on daily. Read the police report of the local papers before making a decision to live here...

2. The humidity is not any better here then the East Coast. In fact, it is hotter on this side with less of a breeze. The East Coast has the Atlantic Ocean to keep things slightly more temperate (somewhat warmer in Winter and cooler in Summer). The West Coast bakes all summer long with daily heat indexes
(combination of the actual temperature and the humidity) over 100 degrees ever day. This is serious humidity and it does not let up from May through October. Our street becomes a ghost town. Literally no one goes outside unless they HAVE to. Even in the morning and at night the temps are unbearable.
If you are looking for better temperatures the East Coast of the state is where to go and go farther North. Jacksonville, FL has somewhat more tolerable temps and is not as touristy. The beaches are just as beautiful over there and there are more younger people.

3. Jobs. The Bradenton area is TERRIBLE for jobs. People work in the service industry or in retail. If they are very lucky they have a medical background and work at the hospital but this is typical low-wage Southern living here - $8-$10 an hour is common. There are no major companies whatsoever and no industry to speak of. Traffic (especially in tourist season) is a nightmare. Commuting to Sarasota (more jobs but pay still low) will take 45 minutes to an hour. Commuting up to Tampa/St Pete - forget it. An hour would be the minimum drive to St Pete, longer to Tampa but those times can and do double in season. If you want to work in Tampa, live in or near Tampa. beaches are not far away.

Sorry to be so negative but that has been my experience (I have lived here 4 years.) My recommendation is to steer clear of Florida. If you want sunshine and mostly warm temperatures try
parts of Virginia or North Carolina or even California (Central and the Northern coast are the most affordable, which is not to say it is "cheap" by any means - but it may be worth cutting some things out of your budget or taking an extra part-time job.)

It is true there are still some real estate deals to be had in Bradenton and surrounding areas (though prices have been going up) but do remember that you get what you pay for. Good luck in your journey!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 PM

242 posts, read 264,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireM View Post
I currently live in the Bradenton area but am moving to CA shortly. This is a resort area and comes with all sorts of problems that go with Florida beach towns.

1. Everyone is either retired, a tourist or a transient. It is very difficult to meet and make friends with other adult professionals. you may have better luck if you live in the city of Sarasota but even then the average age of the population is quite high and retiree's rule.
A note about the transients-a lot of them are running from past crimes, addictions, ex's, bill collectors and worse. There are a lot of registered sex offenders around here too (plus plenty who don't register!)
In fact, city-data lists 275 registered sex offenders in Bradenton as of April 29th 2015. http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Bradenton-Florida.html

One moved in next to my Mom and thought it would be fun to pound on the door and flash me when I opened it. I have been a victim of crime here and so have other people I know and we live in a "good" area by the beach. There is a real homeless problem here too ever since Sarasota started buying their homeless population one-way bus passes to Bradenton/Anna Maria island. They sleep in bench's or even in boxes and hassle you for money using all manner of scams outside the Publix (grocery store) and the convenience stores...Crazy things seem to go on daily. Read the police report of the local papers before making a decision to live here...

2. The humidity is not any better here then the East Coast. In fact, it is hotter on this side with less of a breeze. The East Coast has the Atlantic Ocean to keep things slightly more temperate (somewhat warmer in Winter and cooler in Summer). The West Coast bakes all summer long with daily heat indexes
(combination of the actual temperature and the humidity) over 100 degrees ever day. This is serious humidity and it does not let up from May through October. Our street becomes a ghost town. Literally no one goes outside unless they HAVE to. Even in the morning and at night the temps are unbearable.
If you are looking for better temperatures the East Coast of the state is where to go and go farther North. Jacksonville, FL has somewhat more tolerable temps and is not as touristy. The beaches are just as beautiful over there and there are more younger people.

3. Jobs. The Bradenton area is TERRIBLE for jobs. People work in the service industry or in retail. If they are very lucky they have a medical background and work at the hospital but this is typical low-wage Southern living here - $8-$10 an hour is common. There are no major companies whatsoever and no industry to speak of. Traffic (especially in tourist season) is a nightmare. Commuting to Sarasota (more jobs but pay still low) will take 45 minutes to an hour. Commuting up to Tampa/St Pete - forget it. An hour would be the minimum drive to St Pete, longer to Tampa but those times can and do double in season. If you want to work in Tampa, live in or near Tampa. beaches are not far away.

Sorry to be so negative but that has been my experience (I have lived here 4 years.) My recommendation is to steer clear of Florida. If you want sunshine and mostly warm temperatures try
parts of Virginia or North Carolina or even California (Central and the Northern coast are the most affordable, which is not to say it is "cheap" by any means - but it may be worth cutting some things out of your budget or taking an extra part-time job.)

It is true there are still some real estate deals to be had in Bradenton and surrounding areas (though prices have been going up) but do remember that you get what you pay for. Good luck in your journey!
I agree with a lot of this and unfortunately very accurate information.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 1,936 times
Heya,

Thanks for the response! It is insane I did check under crimereports... there is a LOT of registered sexual offenders around the Sarasota-Bradenton area... much more than the suburban areas around Detroit. Totally shocked LOL - I don't have kids but still. I also checked under areavibes - Bradenton has less "registered" crime than Sarasota which is confusing!

Another problem is - I can't move to California (ahh perfect weather) because that is the ONLY state that doesn't reciprocate my license. Perhaps I should look at the other side - Atlantic side for areas below the frost line. Suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

21,190 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Just as an FYI, states vary by their requirements in terms of Sex Offenders and states like Florida show more per capita as one of the dozen states that doesn't remove names from the list after a period of time. Michigan for instance will drop names after 15 years without a conviction. It's important when reading stats to understand the background behind them, especially with crime reports that are tracked by zip code. I live in a supposed "high crime" zip code where on the outside looking in it would appear I should have bars on my windows and a couple of Rottweilers living here, which is all due to the fact there is a pocket of this zip code 4.5 miles away that drives at least 3/4 of the crime stats. My neighborhood hasn't had a burglary in over 20 years (no it's not gated) and the biggest crime in recent years was theft of a lawn mower and tools out of an open garage in the middle of the day. You'll find most zip codes with higher than normal crime rates are the same, so do some digging before passing on what is most likely a very suitable place to live.

Sex offender registry laws by state, mapped.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:20 AM

6,323 posts, read 3,470,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireM View Post
California (Central and the Northern coast are the most affordable, which is not to say it is "cheap" by any means - but it may be worth cutting some things out of your budget or taking an extra part-time job.)
If you are a decent to high earner California is one of the worst states to relocate to unless you make a lot of money, or don't care about paying a high cost of living.

When you say "central coast" presumably you mean between Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz. The COL in Santa Cruz is 2x a place like Sarasota. The only place it's close is inland - say in Fresno. Who would move to CA to be in Fresno?

You also have to deal with income tax (that ranges from 1% to over 13%), a higher sales tax (minimum 7.5% but usually higher), higher gasoline tax, etc. It's also very crowded in most popular areas which drives rental prices higher.

Why would anyone move to CA? Aside from the weather, if you're in the entertainment industry it's better in Hollywood/LA and if you're in high tech Silicon Valley is hard to beat. Otherwise it's the worst state in which to start a business (even worse than NY if that's possible). Florida is consistently near the top.

Florida is not a panacea, and many of the points you raise are true. I wish you well in your move to CA but if to survive you have to "cut things out" and "take an extra part-time job" I wonder if it's worth it.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,863,672 times
Many people make out the retirement-dominated and snowbird-dominated areas to be bad. I actually like them because starting in May all snowbirds are gone and you have the place to yourself. The drop in traffic is notable, restaurants get more available and emptier, so on and so on.

South FL may be interesting to you if you are looking for large population concentrations - Palm Beach may be OK but we did not like Broward and Miami-Dade counties - too busy for us. The beaches and water are totally different on the east side by the way. The Gulf waters tend to get murky, the east coast is turquoise and pretty. However, depending where you are on the east coast, the beaches may be all condos (Ft Lauderdale) or just empty (no bars, restaurants etc. nearby - like Juno beach in Palm Beach). We also liked the St. Augustine/Jacksonville areas. But, the Gulf has its nice places too - Tampa, Sarasota/Bradenton - all very nice. St. Pete beach we found nice and laid back, the beach is nice and wide and there are bars and restaurants to go to if you want a beer or to chill out. Since I am not single I cannot comment on the night life and all that in any of these areas. When we lived in PBC, none of my young colleagues complained about lack of night life in West Palm or other areas, that's all I know.

FL can be a bit stifling for someone with a doctorate or ambitious professionally - a place like Austin or New York is teaming with keeners who are always talking shop and their whole life revolves around their profession. If that is what you are after - FL is generally not the place (maybe Tampa or Orlando match that profile more than any other places in FL). This is not to say you will not run into good professionals - however, FL is a place where people come to vacation and live the easy lifestyle, not with the intention to sit in an office all day behind a computer or what-not

FL is also much more than the tiny strip of land on the two coasts. It is cowboys and horses, cattle and ranching and farming. It has character, albeit some of that has been lost to constant gentrification and north-easternisation/yankeesation . Then there are the Keys. Florida has many state parks, it is simply beautiful. However, you have to like that lifestyle.

Texas is a conservative place (Austin and pockets of Houston exempted) and Texans think Texas is the planet, they are very proud of their place (nothing wrong with that) but when you have never left the state and you think it is the best, well - go travel first and draw the conclusions is my thought . It is mostly religious robots driving 20 mph below the speed limit with the fish on the back of the car, looking down on you. Either that or rancher/oil-gas industry people with the mindset that only rich should survive. The only places you will feel better after Canada are Austin. You may also like El Paso - border town and mountains in the middle of the city for outdoors life, close to New Mexico with more outdoors opportunities. However, not for everyone since it is isolated. We are looking to get out of TX and come back to FL. Miss the ocean and the laid back lifestyle.

Just my experience and $.02

Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 10,124 times
I do understand that native fruits typically do better - but I was a little shocked when I found out that Florida doesn't do much fruit production. So it got me wondering - I read the humidity isn't always good for growing and neither is rain (disease issues). Also something about the soil/sand not being good in Florida - don't understand this point since many trees require good draining soil oO

Anyway - 30 year old single girl wanting to grow fruit trees and swim in her backyard pool - trust me that's laid back. I may have a doctorate - but I just want a good hospital job that I can go to, make a pay check so I can safely/worry-free (hopefully) enjoy life (and give my mother the life she never had). I hate traffic, stress etc etc... and I'm sick of rude people (sorry Michigan!).

The only reason why I wanted a certain amount of population is because: 1- I don't have to be in the middle of no where, 2- Smaller communities... everyone knows everyone = gossip + people in your business (really bothers me), 3- amendities and 4- options. I like options; outlet malls, shopping, theatre, events, things to do etc etc. To be honest with you - I'm not big on night life. Being single, a move will cost me a lot - I don't have backup. So I want to make the right move. NoW I'm starting to consider options on the east side (ex: St. Lucia etc) since I was clearly wrong about the west. The St. Augustine/Jacksonville areas sound amazing! Unfortunately, their hardness zone is 9a which is slightly below the frost point

Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 AM

15,195 posts, read 31,148,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazal View Post
I do understand that native fruits typically do better - but I was a little shocked when I found out that Florida doesn't do much fruit production. So it got me wondering - I read the humidity isn't always good for growing and neither is rain (disease issues). Also something about the soil/sand not being good in Florida - don't understand this point since many trees require good draining soil oO

Anyway - 30 year old single girl wanting to grow fruit trees and swim in her backyard pool - trust me that's laid back. I may have a doctorate - but I just want a good hospital job that I can go to, make a pay check so I can safely/worry-free (hopefully) enjoy life (and give my mother the life she never had). I hate traffic, stress etc etc... and I'm sick of rude people (sorry Michigan!).

The only reason why I wanted a certain amount of population is because: 1- I don't have to be in the middle of no where, 2- Smaller communities... everyone knows everyone = gossip + people in your business (really bothers me), 3- amendities and 4- options. I like options; outlet malls, shopping, theatre, events, things to do etc etc. To be honest with you - I'm not big on night life. Being single, a move will cost me a lot - I don't have backup. So I want to make the right move. NoW I'm starting to consider options on the east side (ex: St. Lucia etc) since I was clearly wrong about the west. The St. Augustine/Jacksonville areas sound amazing! Unfortunately, their hardness zone is 9a which is slightly below the frost point
That's right, you may as well not even be in Florida if you are going to move there - you will NOT be able to grow tropical fruits. As I said earlier, you need to be in the southern half of Florida, pretty much below the Tampa line. For instance, in my own yard I have bananas, avocados, citrus and coconuts and all do very well.

I also agree with Kyle, that crime stats and sex offenders are somewhat overblown due to the way Florida reports and keeps track. This is as safe an area as any, and the majority of crime is contained almost exclusively in a few neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or