U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a 34 yr old single mom looking to move to FL within the next year with my 10 yr old daughter. I work virtual, so I can work from anywhere in the US. I won't need to find a job.

I really like Tampa and Port Saint Lucie, but I'm undecided as to which is a better place for someone in my situation. I'm planning on renting ($1,200 a month max) for a year before buying a house. Good schools and a safe neighborhood are my main priorities.

I would appreciate any advice on which city would be better for us.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM

85 posts, read 78,824 times
Well being a transplant from South Jersey shore I always considered heading right down the coast line. I never found anything that I was truly comfortable about except St Augustine's. And also, we were looking for a year round working town that we can make it ours. Now on the other hand a friend told us to look at this neat town on the West side near Tampa that has a town and everything including airports are within a half an hour away. We were also looking for a different mentality of people and Dunedin is giving us that and is very diverse. We are a small town with a hospital, restaurants, festivals, parades, Pinellas bike trail, beaches near by, community pool and center, and all grades stay in Dunedin from K-12 since we have our own high school here too. But there are not a lot of safe towns around like Dunedin has to offer. You can rent 2 rooms houses from a $ 1,000 - $ 1,300 and still be near town. So if you decide on the Tampa area do put us on the top of your list. I always tell people to go to youtube and watch funedin.lipdub and see how enjoyable out down town can be. Also we have Halloween night for the kids and anyone that participates in it and a Christmas Night in the town also when we shut the town down for both events. Have fun on your quest and do your research, you and your daughter will feel very comfortable here.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 PM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Dunedin is a nice option as well as neighboring Safety Harbor, Countryside (NE Clearwater), Palm Harbor, East Lake and Oldsmar. That whole area generally speaking has "A-rated" schools, safe neighborhoods and plenty to do for all ages.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,151,589 times
I think Tampa is the better option just because you have a lot more job and dating opportunities plus its growing at a rapid rate.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 PM

6,982 posts, read 3,877,231 times
Nobody here can really help you if you don't say why these places appeal to you and what you're looking for other than a certain rent factor and the standard "good schools and safe neighborhood." Shopping or surfing? Dancing or dianetics? Church or chili? Gym or gin? Reading or rocking? I'm sure you get the idea...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 PM

242 posts, read 264,627 times
Florida is full of bums and transients and pedophiles! Do you really want to raise your kid in a state that is almost like a 3rd world country?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 PM

499 posts, read 416,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Florida is full of bums and transients and pedophiles! Do you really want to raise your kid in a state that is almost like a 3rd world country?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,210 times
Thanks for the info!

Dunedin and Safety Harbor seem like really nice places and not far from Tampa. Will definitely look more into it.

The reason that I'm thinking about Port St. Lucie and Tampa is because I will be close to friends. I have friends in Miami and Orlando, but I do not want to move to either of those cities. I prefer something in between and I have heard great things about Port St. Lucie it sounds very much like my town in Jersey. I also have a friend who will be moving to Tampa soon.

I'm pretty laid back and not really into clubs anymore. My daughter and I will be happy anywhere where there's a beach, shopping, movies, bowling, park, etc. We enjoy being around friends, we've never had a problem making new friends, so I hope to move to a family friendly area.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,151,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasotang01 View Post
Thanks for the info!

Dunedin and Safety Harbor seem like really nice places and not far from Tampa. Will definitely look more into it.

The reason that I'm thinking about Port St. Lucie and Tampa is because I will be close to friends. I have friends in Miami and Orlando, but I do not want to move to either of those cities. I prefer something in between and I have heard great things about Port St. Lucie it sounds very much like my town in Jersey. I also have a friend who will be moving to Tampa soon.

I'm pretty laid back and not really into clubs anymore. My daughter and I will be happy anywhere where there's a beach, shopping, movies, bowling, park, etc. We enjoy being around friends, we've never had a problem making new friends, so I hope to move to a family friendly area.
Oh good luck with your move I think you should definitely visit before the move just to get a feel of the place.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasotang01 View Post
I'm a 34 yr old single mom looking to move to FL within the next year with my 10 yr old daughter. I work virtual, so I can work from anywhere in the US. I won't need to find a job.

I really like Tampa and Port Saint Lucie, but I'm undecided as to which is a better place for someone in my situation. I'm planning on renting ($1,200 a month max) for a year before buying a house. Good schools and a safe neighborhood are my main priorities.

I would appreciate any advice on which city would be better for us.

Thanks!
I would look into downtown St. Pete, or at least St. Pete. More to do for someone in your age group, plus St. Pete has beautiful beaches, only minutes away from downtown. Not sure about schools though.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or