Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Somehow I really doubt that. In fact it is likely to be a giant albatross with batteries and panels needing to be replaced right around when you try and sell it or maybe a new roof.

In addition, I've never seen a calculation for solar include any inclusion for the opportunity cost of the money spent on the system added to the cost comparison. In short, if you want to bull **** yourself that it is a good deal and some how cheaper, by all means don't let anyone pull the blanket of cognitive dissonance off. Reality is unless you are so far off the grid to be impractical to connect it is rarely to your financial benefit unless you start dropping off important data to fit your confirmation bias like the value of your investment doing something else.

There are plenty of good reasons to go off the grid. $$ isn't one of them for most people. I applaud people that do it and want to see more investment in the technology so efficiency improves but right now it doesn't make a ton of sense for most people from a strictly investment point of view.
I spoke with two appraisers and they both told me the same thing, if the house has solar they add $3 per Watt to the value of the house. Which more than covers the cost of the system.

If it didn't make economic sense then how do you suppose the companies that are installing the system for free and then charging the customer a lower electric rate are making any money.

It's simple.....the math works, and that's no bulls***

In addition ask anyone who has solar if it works out financially and they will tell you yes.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I spoke with two appraisers and they both told me the same thing, if the house has solar they add $3 per Watt to the value of the house. Which more than covers the cost of the system.

If it didn't make economic sense then how do you suppose the companies that are installing the system for free and then charging the customer a lower electric rate are making any money.

It's simple.....the math works, and that's no bulls***

In addition ask anyone who has solar if it works out financially and they will tell you yes.

Gary
Wow, an appraiser. As if appraised value has anything to do what so ever with market or the ability to sell the damn thing. Let me give you a clue, appraisals are an art. If you get two appraisals, one from a bank to remove PMI and say one for tax basis for an estate transfer, the values will be VERY different. So, quite frankly, the idea that an appraiser told you something doesn't mean jack ****.

I noticed you never mentioned the opportunity cost of the money you dumped for your pay back. I know it wasn't included in your estimate because it never is.

Look, you're obviously into it because you sunk a good bit of cash or leased them. That is cool. Everyone knows that. If you can't get past your cognitive dissonance on the deal everyone will understand. It gets hard to peak out from under that blanket when you pay so much up front and try to say its a good financial deal. Not everyone is good at math. If you want to pay out 15 or 20k to get $150 a month for 10 years that is your business.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:22 PM

10kw system $16,423
Electric savings $2,400 annual
Yield 14.61%

But your probably more interested in coal

The difference is I am talking with people in the area who have systems installed and know exactly how much electricity they are generating. The real world

I'm not sure where your info comes from.

Gary

Old 08-09-2017, 04:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
10kw system $16,423
Yield 14.61%

The difference is I am talking with people in the area who have systems installed and know exactly how much electricity they are generating. The real world

Gary
Gary

the bottom line is, it will be an individual calculation for each person in terms of the payback period. Plus some people cannot pay cash, so they have to finance making it even less of a savings.

Arguing that it is increased property value by a certain % is silly because it only matters on the day you actually sell, and I doubt some bank will give you a bigger home equity line of credit because you got solar

Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
10kw system $16,423
Yield 14.61%

Gary
First off the $2400 a year is probably bs but even so, opportunity cost of 16423 over 10 years is $35,456 at 8%.

Present value of $200 a month, again which is probably bull but lets play with your fake pie in the sky numbers is $16484.

So basically you paid in a lot of money all up front, to make zero return and lose to inflation, while giving up actual returns and come here and say it's a good investment FINANCIALLY. You obviously aren't great at math my friend.

I said in my previous post, if you had any reading comprehension what so ever, that I support solar. Love it want too see further investment and have had it in my residences. Making it seem like some great investment though is complete and total bull crap. It isn't. It may be an investment in the environment, a good thing to do but to pretend FINANCIALLY that it is a good move is retarded.

End of story.

Last edited by aridon; 08-09-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
First off the $2400 a year is probably bs but even so, opportunity cost of 16423 over 10 years is $35,456 at 8%.

Present value of $200 a month, again which is probably bull but lets play with your fake pie in the sky numbers is $16484.

So basically you paid in a lot of money all up front, to make zero return and lose to inflation, while giving up actual returns and come here and say it's a good investment FINANCIALLY. You obviously aren't great at math my friend.

I said in my previous post, if you had any reading comprehension what so ever, that I support solar. Love it want too see further investment and have had it in my residences. Making it seem like some great investment though is complete and total bull crap. It isn't. It may be an investment in the environment, a good thing to do but to pretend FINANCIALLY that it is a good move is retarded.

End of story.
May or may not be true, depends on energy usage, how much time you get out of the system, whether you pay cash or finance etc.

Again, it seems that there are no clear answers. I bet there are situations where it makes total financial sense to go solar, excluding the environmental benefits. Just look at what Tesla did to electric cars, now GM is joining in the game. They are cheaper to operate and fuel

Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:

End of story.
������ Solar Employs More People In U.S. Electricity Generation Than Oil, Coal And Gas Combined And yet you seem to think it doesn't make sense.

Ok

As they say, " you can lead a horse to water"

Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
������ Solar Employs More People In U.S. Electricity Generation Than Oil, Coal And Gas Combined And yet you seem to think it doesn't make sense.

Ok

As they say, " you can lead a horse to water"
Can't dispute the math, changes topic.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Ha ha ha you are interjecting Numbers that you got from who knows where.

My numbers are based on actual production of electricity that neighbors are getting and the cost of the system which is also real..

But you can go ahead and keep doing it your way paying the electric company instead of paying yourself.

You certainly seem to know how to do math but your variables are wrong.

Did you know on average people with larger feet or better educated than people with small feet!

����

Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Ha ha ha you are interjecting Numbers that you got from who knows where.

My numbers are based on actual production of electricity that neighbors are getting and the cost of the system which is also real..

But you can go ahead and keep doing it your way paying the electric company instead of paying yourself.

You certainly seem to know how to do math but your variables are wrong.

Did you know on average people with larger feet or better educated than people with small feet!

����
I used the numbers you gave. I'm sorry you don't understand the math involved but that doesn't change the result.

You aren't paying yourself. You basically paid your electric bill in advance and are getting the same amount back slowly and with virtually no interest received over a decade.

Since your lack all but a basic understanding of math you don't comprehend that giving 16k today only to get 16k slowly back over 10 years is a bad financial investment.

You either understand the time value of money or your don't. Based on your posting, it is clear you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida