U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 AM

469 posts, read 417,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
It's very difficult for us Europeans to emigrate here. I assume we're too white and too educated and might overthrow the establishment. It was easy until Kennedy.
I've met plenty of Cubans who were every bit as white as I am and were very, very well educated so I doubt that is the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,599,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
I live exactly 10 minutes to the Dade County line and 45 minutes to Brickell or Downtown. I've lived off and on in Miami since 1974 as I am from a small town near Sebring which is about one hour to Doral. Also, my great Uncle was one of the first judges elected to the Dade County Court in the late 1940s.

My contributions to city-data are FACTS from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.
You either live in Miami or you don't. In your case you don't even live in Miami-Dade, but Broward. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Mr. Crossroads is also somewhere in Broward or god knows where.

So as a resident I say bring on these Cubans, they make this place more interesting. God Forbid Miami loses its latin Vibe and becomes Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,810,090 times
At the turn of the 20th Century, when Italians, Irish, German etc all immigrated to this country in masses. It's well documented that they were not very liked at the time. Today the Irish, Italians and Germans descendants have integrated into the American culture. The same will happen with the Cubans. I don't understand why people are so worried.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM

499 posts, read 415,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
At the turn of the 20th Century, when Italians, Irish, German etc all immigrated to this country in masses. It's well documented that they were not very liked at the time. Today the Irish, Italians and Germans descendants have integrated into the American culture. The same will happen with the Cubans. I don't understand why people are so worried.
EXACTLY! I thought this was common knowledge i.e. the "melting pot" of the US. Here is a little blurb from the Library of Congress website:

Between 1900 and 1915, more than 15 million immigrants arrived in the United States. That was about equal to the number of immigrants who had arrived in the previous 40 years combined. In 1910, three-fourths of New York City's population were either immigrants or first generation Americans (i.e. the sons and daughters of immigrants).

Unlike earlier immigrants, the majority of the newcomers after 1900 came from non-English speaking European countries. The principal source of immigrants was now southern and eastern Europe, especially Italy, Poland, and Russia, countries quite different in culture and language from the United States.

Like doggiebus said, the non-English speaking European immigrants 100 years ago morphed into the majority of "caucasions" today. If you live (and breed) in South Florida, there's a good chance your great, great grandchildren (or sooner) will be part Cuban. It's the American way!

Immigrants in the Progressive Era - American Memory Timeline- Classroom Presentation | Teacher Resources - Library of Congress

Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,326,648 times
Quote:
I live exactly 10 minutes to the Dade County line and 45 minutes to Brickell or Downtown. I've lived off and on in Miami since 1974 as I am from a small town near Sebring which is about one hour to Doral. Also, my great Uncle was one of the first judges elected to the Dade County Court in the late 1940s.

My contributions to city-data are FACTS from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.
Small town near Sebring to Doral in one hour? What town is that?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Small town near Sebring to Doral in one hour? What town is that?
Very good catch .......

Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 PM

242 posts, read 264,519 times
All your questions indicate all of you have zero geography skills! I suppose some of us have a high school diploma or very few of us? Oh wait, I am in the Miami forum!

Immokalee

Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,266,478 times
cool.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Immokalee
Immokalee is how long of a drive to Sebring

Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 PM

242 posts, read 264,519 times
Immokalee to Sebring 30 minutes. Immokalee to Doral 1 hour (in my C7).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida