Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times

Advertisements

Just happened to see a show last night where Alabama cracked down on illegals from Mexico. Problem the farmers ran into was there was no one to harvest their crops. They went to a nearby city and brought unemployed people over. Only one lasted the full 8 weeks, and he said he wouldn't do it again. Then they tried prison labor to help plant the next years crops and all they did was stand around and smoke and what they did was subpar. They could not find local people willing to do the back breaking labor to plant and harvest the crops.

So my question is: Who is going to do the jobs here in America that our own workers don't want to do? I'm referring to real crappy, dead end labor intensive stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:59 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I don't understand your point. Marco Rubio is not an immigrant, he was born here. I'm not over generalizing anything. I have no issues at all with immigrants who come here the legal and proper way. My issue is that most of the 'immigrants' in southeast Florida are poor, uneducated, have no skills and are coming here as economic refugees in seek of some type of handout. They consume resources and receive government benefits while contributing nothing to our economy. Some break free of cultural stereotypes and become exemplars. Most do not.

Many keep calling Miami a 'big city', but it is not. Big cities like LA, NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago have the infrastructure to accomodate very large populations. They also have a plethora of multicultural amenities to offset the discomforts and incivilities of overcrowding. Miami doesn't have these things. When the pinch from overcrowding begins to win the people of means who live there now will begin to leave. This is how ghettoes get started.

My point was that many who come here do not embrace American culture. They come here intending to change the place into a version of where they are coming from. That is not cultural assimilation, it is cultural isolation. It is one of the main reasons why the majority of non-Hispanic Americans who used to live in Miami-Dade have moved out of the area.

You are so right that all immigrants are not the same!
Why do keep talking out your a** and Miami is a big city just like any other so stop making up things to fit your agenda. I'm so tired of the faux outrage over immigrants coming to this country. Enough with the embracing American culture blah blah blah. Many immigrants are successful and own several businesses and in fact the Hispanic people living in Miami are on average on more educated as well as richer than ones living in other so called big cities. Venezuelans are highly educated and tend to be middle class and guess where most are located right down in South Florida.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:59 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Why do keep talking out your a** and Miami is a big city just like any other so stop making up things to fit your agenda. I'm so tired of the faux outrage over immigrants coming to this country. Enough with the embracing American culture blah blah blah. Many immigrants are successful and own several businesses and in fact the Hispanic people living in Miami are on average on more educated as well as richer than ones living in other so called big cities. Venezuelans are highly educated and tend to be middle class and guess where most are located right down in South Florida.
You have any statistics on that or are you just "talking out your a**" as usual ?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 PM

242 posts, read 346,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I disagree. If you study the history of American Immigration you will see that different waves of immigrants have always brought problems with them. The German and Irish immigrants of the 18th and 19th century formed gangs in New York City, and much has been written about them. Same is true of the Italian immigrants of the 19th and 20th century -- ever hear of la Cosa Nostra?
I stand to be corrected. I did not know this. Thanks for clarifying

Old 04-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Just happened to see a show last night where Alabama cracked down on illegals from Mexico. Problem the farmers ran into was there was no one to harvest their crops. They went to a nearby city and brought unemployed people over. Only one lasted the full 8 weeks, and he said he wouldn't do it again. Then they tried prison labor to help plant the next years crops and all they did was stand around and smoke and what they did was subpar. They could not find local people willing to do the back breaking labor to plant and harvest the crops. So my question is: Who is going to do the jobs here in America that our own workers don't want to do? I'm referring to real crappy, dead end labor intensive stuff.
I personally have no problem with hard day labor. Did it in my teens and can do it again today. However most young Americans sadly don't want these jobs even if it's a temporary learning curve. I like Mexicans and I like their work ethic. Good people! But there are other issues here that I will not go in to. We need Mexicans and we need immigrants. I just hope and prey we get better immigrants that want to work hard and help their local communities and add positive vibes to our country, local communities and cities.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I disagree. If you study the history of American Immigration you will see that different waves of immigrants have always brought problems with them. The German and Irish immigrants of the 18th and 19th century formed gangs in New York City, and much has been written about them. Same is true of the Italian immigrants of the 19th and 2oth century -- ever hear of la Cosa Nostra?

There are more immigrants today than there were then, just as there are more Americans today than there were then. Many illegal immigrants have taken advantage of social programs that were intended to benefit Americans in need. But nothing has really changed, except the scale of the problems, and the ethnicity of the people causing them.

I agree though, that Arnold is a credit to his race.

And crime did not exist in New York city before German and Irish immigrants came? There were immigrants who got caught up in a life of crime because some of them were poor and they faced a lot of discrimination so it wasn't always easy for them to get jobs. Many of the Italians especially found themselves in that situation because of their dark features. That's how organizations like La Cosa Nostra took hold in the USA in the early 20th century. And it employed mainly Italians because they were looking out for one another. Since you study history then you know that the Italians were/are not the only groups running large criminal enterprises in America's big cities, but the media and Hollywood scapegoated them for all the problems.

But, I digress. Its not so much about ethnicity as it is about economics. The reason immigration today is different is because the USA of years gone by was a mighty and wealthy nation. Now, the country is broke and living on borrowed time, with loans and large amounts of cash being minted with nothing to guarantee its value. The government doesn't have the money to keep paying for aid to people who come here with nothing. The only way they can keep doing this is to keep raising taxes and to keep borrowing and printing more money to keep the entitlement programs going. They can't keep doing that forever.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post

Clearly, you have no idea what American culture is, much less have any respect for it. You also seem to get hot about issues without paying attention to the facts. No one is outraged over immigrants coming to this country. The discussion is about people who just walk across the border or make a raft and sail here with no respect whatsoever for our laws. Immigration laws exist for many reasons.

Look at your wild generalizations about Hispanic people being more educated and wealthier than others... Well, if you don't believe that to be a racist statement then perhaps you'd also deny that large numbers of non-Hispanic people who once lived in Miami-Dade have left there because of the attitudes of people such as yourself.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Just happened to see a show last night where Alabama cracked down on illegals from Mexico. Problem the farmers ran into was there was no one to harvest their crops. They went to a nearby city and brought unemployed people over. Only one lasted the full 8 weeks, and he said he wouldn't do it again. Then they tried prison labor to help plant the next years crops and all they did was stand around and smoke and what they did was subpar. They could not find local people willing to do the back breaking labor to plant and harvest the crops.

So my question is: Who is going to do the jobs here in America that our own workers don't want to do? I'm referring to real crappy, dead end labor intensive stuff.
There is an H2A visa that farm owners can use to sponsor agricultural workers to come to the USA. Many don't want to bother with spending the time or the money to apply for these visas. Its easier and cheaper to just get some illegal people from around the way and give them a job. There is another reason why employers choose not to use the visa program: it is set up with rules to protect the worker...a feature that many employers don't like. The cost of the visa sponsorship per employee is high, as are the costs of housing and feeding laborers. Many unskilled illegals who are already inside the country just want a job so they agree to the super-low pay and horrendous working conditions.

I believe that Congress turned a blind eye to this situation because they know that the work needs to get done. The problem for the farmers is that they need a steady supply of desperate new arrivals from across the border because existing workers eventually wise-up to the fact that they are being exploited and move on to better work opportunities. Another problem is that many who are coming across the border these days want work, but not back-breaking farm work.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
And crime did not exist in New York city before German and Irish immigrants came? There were immigrants who got caught up in a life of crime because some of them were poor and they faced a lot of discrimination so it wasn't always easy for them to get jobs. Many of the Italians especially found themselves in that situation because of their dark features. That's how organizations like La Cosa Nostra took hold in the USA in the early 20th century. And it employed mainly Italians because they were looking out for one another. Since you study history then you know that the Italians were/are not the only groups running large criminal enterprises in America's big cities, but the media and Hollywood scapegoated them for all the problems.

But, I digress. Its not so much about ethnicity as it is about economics. The reason immigration today is different is because the USA of years gone by was a mighty and wealthy nation. Now, the country is broke and living on borrowed time, with loans and large amounts of cash being minted with nothing to guarantee its value. The government doesn't have the money to keep paying for aid to people who come here with nothing. The only way they can keep doing this is to keep raising taxes and to keep borrowing and printing more money to keep the entitlement programs going. They can't keep doing that forever.
I was not intending to suggest that crime is solely the result of immigration, or that immigrants were the only criminals. Just pointing out that problems associated with immigration are not new in our history.

I agree that immigration is on a whole different scale now, particularly illegal immigration, and that there comes a point where the economy of any nation, even one such as ours, cannot continue to support the influx.

I'm all for opening our borders to immigrants who pass lawfully and have something to contribute, even if its only their sweat; but I think that any country has a right, and a responsibility to its citizens, to exercise some control over its national borders so that everyone inside the borders can have a decent life.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
And crime did not exist in New York city before German and Irish immigrants came? There were immigrants who got caught up in a life of crime because some of them were poor and they faced a lot of discrimination so it wasn't always easy for them to get jobs. Many of the Italians especially found themselves in that situation because of their dark features. That's how organizations like La Cosa Nostra took hold in the USA in the early 20th century. And it employed mainly Italians because they were looking out for one another. Since you study history then you know that the Italians were/are not the only groups running large criminal enterprises in America's big cities, but the media and Hollywood scapegoated them for all the problems. But, I digress. Its not so much about ethnicity as it is about economics. The reason immigration today is different is because the USA of years gone by was a mighty and wealthy nation. Now, the country is broke and living on borrowed time, with loans and large amounts of cash being minted with nothing to guarantee its value. The government doesn't have the money to keep paying for aid to people who come here with nothing. The only way they can keep doing this is to keep raising taxes and to keep borrowing and printing more money to keep the entitlement programs going. They can't keep doing that forever.
Informed and intelligent post John. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida