U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:54 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,029,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Hot and sticky to the point it's hard to sleep at night. Full of mosquitoes. Not a single decent hill to look at once in awhile.

Need I get started on the people? More neck/face tattoos than any state I've been to aside from California. Nothing but white trash, illegals, ghetto hoodrats and your occasional retiree. Between the bad drivers and obnoxious bass thumping it's barely worth even a visit.

At least the water is clear down in the keys.
You must move in different circles to me.
I find people who live in Florida to be open,welcoming and eclectic.
And most people I know love the weather here - even hit and sticky compared to cold and wet.
As for mosquitoes - welcome to nature !

Old 04-28-2015, 01:33 AM

34,445 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Lots of people who hate Florida lived there and have many, many reasons for their opinion.
Problem is most who love Florida and have no problem with the place but may offer the slightest negative about their experience with Florida are then immediately labeled as haters.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,153,484 times
I just find the two posters who made those two posts not very likeable people who try to push things Florida was known for in the past and present them as facts now. Like literally one of them was reaching posting videos from Youtube of back in the day Miami.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,158,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I just find the two posters who made those two posts not very likeable people who try to push things Florida was known for in the past and present them as facts now. Like literally one of them was reaching posting videos from Youtube of back in the day Miami.
Just think about it. Ebn78 already lives in Florida, has a lot of money, and is planning now to move to the Keys, per multiple PMs he sent me regarding that move. If he's for real about his attitudes, and is not just posting these threads to troll, he will not do well socially in the Keys at all because people here don't tolerate that kind of elitist attitude, nor are people in the Keys huge fans of extreme right wing ideals. But that tells you everything you need to know. He lives in FL currently, he's at the moment planning a move further South in Florida, he has the money to move to another state but is not. So probably he just likes posting all this nonsense to help curb people from moving here. He does the same thing in the Miami forum. Perhaps he does not want floods of people moving to the Keys and further crowding paradise - especially poor people, whom he has some level of contempt or disdain for. Who knows. But Florida can't be that bad if someone posting all this stuff to scare others away chooses this state as their #1 place to live personally.

So I wouldn't take it all too seriously. Florida is not hurting for new transplants to the state, and probably won't be anytime in the next few years. For every one person such threads scare away, there are at least 20 moving down here who never even bothered to do any research on the internet (or anywhere else) at all. Unfortunately, a lot of people do come down who did not plan well, and who really are not a good match for the local climate, economy, and wildlife. Florida is not perfect, but it becomes downright disastrous for those people who are a terrible fit for what it does offer in the first place. People should do some research first, and be open to seeing that there are real negatives to the state so they can make an informed choice. If you can deal with the parts that suck, the great aspects of Florida will seem that much greater. If your expectations are unrealistic though, you'll end up hating Florida within just a year or two. That's not really Florida's fault that you made it out to be something in your mind that it never was to begin with. It's flawed, like everywhere.

I think that Florida as a whole state though can improve on a lot of things, and I hope that residents will stop being so apathetic and will join together to make changes where they are needed. States should always have a goal of perpetually improving the services they provide for their citizens - they after all are here to serve the people (not the corporations). It would be nice though if we could have a civil forum in which to discuss such ideas, where people will not personally insult or physically threaten others for disagreeing with them. It would also be nice to have an environment that is a positive, helpful, and pleasant environment in which to spend time.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,053,688 times
I think most of the anti-Florida people, whether on this forum or in real life, are the ones who've actually live(d) or spent a considerably amount of time there such as snowbirds or college students.

Most of the people who live in Florida are from somewhere else originally, so you have a large contingent of people who simply don't enjoy living in Florida because they're far away from their families and childhood friends. For these people, Florida is just not "home" and it will never be. They will contrast Florida with their childhood home and, in some cases, blindly hate on the state at every opportunity they get, including on this forum.

For the more reasonable, often better educated Florida transplants who could care less about their working-class, dilapidated hometowns in the Northeast or Midwest such as myself, there are many other aspects of Florida living that simply wear you out after a while, including, but not limited to:

-A highly transient collection of people and mindsets that leads to shallow-rooted communities and difficulty fostering meaningful, long-lasting friendships
-Limited corporate presence, so little opportunity for career advancement
-Non-competitive salaries/wages with a disproportionately high COL
-Poor non-wage benefits
-Limited employment-related rights/protections guaranteed by the state
-Lack of refined tastes and interests among residents (most people in Florida are low-wage, working-class folks)
-Constant rain and intense humidity from late April/early May to mid-December, at least in South Florida
-Many immigrants from Latin America who refuse to speak English, even if fluent, or will give preference to Hispanic/Spanish-speaking customers
-A very pervasive ghetto culture in the urban areas and redneck culture in rural areas
-Lots of Jewish business people who lack ethics and integrity in their dealing with clients, business partners, and others
-Frequent adverse weather events (hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, etc.)
-More ghetto/dangerous areas than safe areas
-Generally under-performing public schools
-Suicidal drivers and correspondingly high auto insurance rates
-High food costs due to a lack of competition created by Publix monopoly
-Uninspiring scenery due to lack of topographical variation
-Lots of ex-convicts, drug addicts, alcoholics, pedophiles, mafioso, et al., which result in many social ills

The list could go on and on.

From the outside looking in, many people lack awareness to these aspects of Florida living. But for those of us who live(d) there, they are, unfortunately, very much a part of daily life.

Deep Southerners (SC, GA, AL, MS, & LA) and Westerners also tend to have low opinions of Florida, but for different reasons. Deep Southerners don't like how much of Florida is overrun by "Yankees." Westerners, OTOH, often dismiss Florida as flat, humid, swampy, buggy, and to a lesser extent, ghetto--basically the anti-Christ of much the West.

On the contrary, I've met very people in the Midwest and Northeast who have a low opinion in Florida. To them, Florida = sunshine, warmth, beaches, and theme parks. And most people like those things. In fact, if the question was posed to all people living in the Northeast and Midwest, I bet somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of people living in those regions would tell you that they're either planning to move to FL at some point or would at least like to move there.

So it really depends on who you ask.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Publix is not a monopoly. Wal Mart, Albertsons, Winn Dixiem Aldi, Trader Joe, Whole Foods, Sav-A-Lot, Target and several others operate in FL. Salaries differ by occupation. In 2013 the median wage was $46K +.

Yes, it does make a difference on who u talk to as most of your post has nothing based on facts.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM

242 posts, read 264,879 times
Publix IS a monopoly. Not every city has a Walmart or WD or Trader, etc. Back 20 years you had WD, Albertsons, Publix, etc. However, Publix is now the only dedicated Supermarket in Florida.

Please don't comment unless you can post the truth.

Last edited by ebn78; 04-29-2015 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:50 PM

242 posts, read 264,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
-A highly transient collection of people and mindsets that leads to shallow-rooted communities and difficulty fostering meaningful, long-lasting friendships
-Limited corporate presence, so little opportunity for career advancement
-Non-competitive salaries/wages with a disproportionately high COL
-Poor non-wage benefits
-Limited employment-related rights/protections guaranteed by the state
-Lack of refined tastes and interests among residents (most people in Florida are low-wage, working-class folks)
-Constant rain and intense humidity from late April/early May to mid-December, at least in South Florida
-Many immigrants from Latin America who refuse to speak English, even if fluent, or will give preference to Hispanic/Spanish-speaking customers
-A very pervasive ghetto culture in the urban areas and redneck culture in rural areas
-Lots of Jewish business people who lack ethics and integrity in their dealing with clients, business partners, and others
-Frequent adverse weather events (hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, etc.)
-Generally under-performing public schools
-Suicidal drivers and correspondingly high auto insurance rates
-High food costs due to a lack of competition created by Publix monopoly
-Uninspiring scenery due to lack of topographical variation
-Lots of ex-convicts, drug addicts, alcoholics, pedophiles, mafioso, et al., which result in many social ills

The list could go on and on.
A brutally honest and truthful list of negatives. As a 54 year old native I am extremely sad and annoyed about this. This is why I constantly post hypothetical requirements to newbies wanting to move to my once great home state. I feel so sad about Florida that I am contemplating moving to Montana. This is very saddening.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,158,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Wow, so you basically hate everybody. You hate Latinos, Jewish people, poor white people, poor people in urban areas, working class people, "and the list could go on and on."

Classy.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:04 PM

22,389 posts, read 9,512,925 times
Frankly, anyone who relies on an anonymous forum to make big life decisions such as where to live, deserves what they get. People filter everything they think through the lens of their own world view, and half of the country could probably benefit from some psychotherapy.

If you want to rely on the distorted world view of someone else, and one that most likely is not the same as your world view, have at it. But if you want to be happy, live somewhere you like, and don't worry about the negative dolts that hate it. What they think is going to be irrelevant to your life, and if you actually met some of them, I am betting you would think--why would I ever care what this person's opinion is.

I have lived in places that many of the residents loved, but that I hated. Same goes for places I like. In the end, all that matters is what makes you happy (or at least somewhat happy). The rest of it is just noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida