U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 10,534,872 times

Advertisements

Such a ridiculous amount of threads lately with people providing articles/videos on why someone shouldn't move to Florida. Am I the only one baffled by this?

Florida is actually a pretty great place to live. Unfortunately, those who sit behind their computer screen and rely on the internet to provide information will never know that.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:30 PM

499 posts, read 416,454 times
I posted this in another thread, but it helps to answer your question...

In internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response...
Internet troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bigotry is a state of mind where a person obstinately, irrationally, unfairly or intolerantly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. Some examples include personal beliefs, race, religion, national origin...or other group characteristics.
Bigotry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 AM

34,427 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Such a ridiculous amount of threads lately with people providing articles/videos on why someone shouldn't move to Florida. Am I the only one baffled by this?

Florida is actually a pretty great place to live. Unfortunately, those who sit behind their computer screen and rely on the internet to provide information will never know that.

Why do you care what other people think of Florida or whether they move there or not.You are in Florida and apparently happy,isnt that all that matters? If trolls want to enhance their pathetic little lives by pis-ing people off on the forum,who cares,its the nature of the beast.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,157,569 times
Quote:

You're welcome to start positive threads to counteract that. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Starting a thread to focus on the negative, does not exactly counter all the negativity here, does it? C-D moderators seem not to care how unpleasant the environment here is, and how certain posters have contributed for years to scaring away all the pleasant and balanced people. The Florida state and city forum posts are just barely a level above comments one would read on Utube. Some sites are more careful to cultivate an atmosphere that people want to come back to. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that speak specifically about Florida and its individual counties. So your options are to help fix the current situation, or to leave the negativity of the site behind you.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,097,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
C-D moderators seem not to care how unpleasant the environment here is, and how certain posters have contributed for years to scaring away all the pleasant and balanced people.
Isn't that the truth. Certain poster(s) have not contributed one thing other than to tell others to "go away". If this is supposed to be a forum for people to ask others about experiences and get information, they are pushing the helpful people out.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
C-D moderators seem not to care how unpleasant the environment here is, and how certain posters have contributed for years to scaring away all the pleasant and balanced people.
I'd say the mods do a great job here but they cant delete posts and topics just because you dont like them ,rules have to be broken for them to act.Mods can do nothing if you
( not you personally) want to live in a dream world where all you hear is nothing but nice glowing acolades to describe Florida with nary a negative ever expressed.
IMO some of the supposed negative posts are more entertaining than the ``the weather is so nice and we went to the beach today`` type posts, i wanna know how it felt the first time you stepped on that patch of sandspurs, or that rattler startled you in your garden, or the gator that almost got your dog,or examples of just how hot it is or how long you spent in traffic etc etc etc.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-26-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,157,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd say the mods do a great job here but they cant delete posts and topics just because you dont like them ,rules have to be broken for them to act.Mods can do nothing if you
( not you personally) want to live in a dream world where all you hear is nothing but nice glowing acolades to describe Florida with nary a negative ever expressed.
IMO some of the supposed negative posts are more entertaining than the ``the weather is so nice and we went to the beach today`` type posts, i wanna know how it felt the first time you stepped on that patch of sandspurs, or that rattler startled you in your garden, or the gator that almost got your dog,or examples of just how hot it is or how long you spent in traffic etc etc etc.

There is a way to share balanced experiences without trolling, and also without creating a harsh and unpleasant posting environment. Many websites devote resources to removing posts, and to an extent also banning regular offenders, who cannot maintain decorum and add to a friendly, helpful, enjoyable, and discrimination-free environment. It is in their own interest to heavily moderate, because when people enjoy an experience and feel good about being there, they keep coming back. It makes money for the company when people associate the site with good people and pleasant memories. One does not have to whitewash everything, nor eliminate all posts one disagrees with, to foster such an environment. But certainly there are many forums online that actively require meaningful contributions, and remove posts that are offensive, call names, involve bullying, and repeatedly create a negative or attacking environment. The philosophy of every site is different. Unfortunately, the sites with heavier policing, don't cover the topics I'm interested in so much. This is a common topic online, with many articles discussing how to create a user-friendly community. One of many such articles has a section called: "Easily moderate content to protect your brand and provide a positive, constructive environment for your customers. Efficiently evaluate, edit, move, restrict or delete posts." I am simply saying that I don't find the environment here to be "positive and constructive" and I don't think that "protects the C-D brand." No one is saying moderating is an easy job, especially in a forum like this where 70% of the posts are combative, offensive, and unhelpful. I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with that!

But other Florida posters could easily help this by outweighing the negative with positive and constructive posts. One or two people can't do it alone. This is true of our state, our nation, and in the larger global community as well - if a majority of people don't like negativity and trollish people, why do they all fall silent and let a minority of trolls overtake our govt, our media, and cause wars all over the world? The more sane and pleasant people speak up, the more the balance gets restored toward sanity and pleasant discourse.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,020,006 times
I don't think it's a big deal. Anyone with the least amount of sense can separate the wheat from the chaff and decide accordingly.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
This is true of our state, our nation, and in the larger global community as well - if a majority of people don't like negativity and trollish people, why do they all fall silent and let a minority of trolls overtake our govt, our media, and cause wars all over the world? The more sane and pleasant people speak up, the more the balance gets restored toward sanity and pleasant discourse.
Lighten up Its just a forum, if people want to say they had a nice day at the beach or the weather is too hot its really not a big deal just move on to the next post or topic if the content doesnt interest you.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM

687 posts, read 695,644 times
Quote:

Hot and sticky to the point it's hard to sleep at night. Full of mosquitoes. Not a single decent hill to look at once in awhile.

Need I get started on the people? More neck/face tattoos than any state I've been to aside from California. Nothing but white trash, illegals, ghetto hoodrats and your occasional retiree. Between the bad drivers and obnoxious bass thumping it's barely worth even a visit.

At least the water is clear down in the keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida