Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,678 times

Advertisements

I just read another out of state BSL on a similar matter, and I'm shocked as a dog owner that our legislators, in any state, want to pass laws like this.
I think they need to re-think their reasons for trying to ban what they consider breeds of dogs that are detriemental to people, and investigate ways to make (detrimental) people (mostly owners) responsible for their dogs.
The people who have responded to this "thread" from "pitbullmommie", that have pets, do seem to realize the significance this can mean to them, and we aren't happy with it!!! As they said in that movie a long time ago,, "I'M MAD AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!"
There has been some great input and some idiots too, but, "everything is free and this is how you pay for it!"
WE LIVE IN A FREE SOCIETY,,,,RIGHT,,,,IS THIS HOW OUR COMPANIONS WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!!
WE ALL NEED TO FIGHT THIS, BECAUSE ITS BASED ON IGNORANCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
I just read another out of state BSL on a similar matter, and I'm shocked as a dog owner that our legislators, in any state, want to pass laws like this.
I think they need to re-think their reasons for trying to ban what they consider breeds of dogs that are detriemental to people, and investigate ways to make (detrimental) people (mostly owners) responsible for their dogs.
The people who have responded to this "thread" from "pitbullmommie", that have pets, do seem to realize the significance this can mean to them, and we aren't happy with it!!! As they said in that movie a long time ago,, "I'M MAD AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!"
There has been some great input and some idiots too, but, "everything is free and this is how you pay for it!"
WE LIVE IN A FREE SOCIETY,,,,RIGHT,,,,IS THIS HOW OUR COMPANIONS WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!!
WE ALL NEED TO FIGHT THIS, BECAUSE ITS BASED ON IGNORANCE.
I agree 100%

Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I just looked at the bill (HB101) and it appears that what it does is delete the prohibition that local municipalities can prohibit specific breeds.

It also does not have a companion bill in the Senate, so I doubt it will go anywhere.

HB 101 - Dangerous Dogs

Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I just looked at the bill (HB101) and it appears that what it does is delete the prohibition that local municipalities can prohibit specific breeds.

It also does not have a companion bill in the Senate, so I doubt it will go anywhere.

HB 101 - Dangerous Dogs
Thank you HIF for posting that (no companion bill in Senate).

I had not heard of this until PitBullMommie brought it up. It's not suprising, it's a hot topic and clearly divisive, so of course it's ripe for politicians to jump all over it.

I completely agree that it doesn't matter what breed of dog you have in your home, if you're a dog lover, you should be concerned about BSL.

Homeowners insurance companies have their own breed bias as well. It's suprising to see the breeds some homeowners insurance companies don't want to do business with - Dalmations, Shar peis - if you have one of these cuties you might have trouble getting homeowners insurance.

BSL is something most of us in Florida haven't had to be too concerned over, but it's not an issue that will go away anytime soon.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM

If we would all just adopt mutts from an animal shelter.....

This bill will be promoted as a "home rule" issue. That local municipalities should be able to legislate such issues. I happen to agree with it, but don't want to get into a verbal pit bull attack over it. Without a Senate companion bill, it doesn't have a chance. Session begins March 8 and a Senate companion bill can still be filed. If you support this or oppose this....now is the time to make your voice heard. Contact your state representative and senator now and voice your opinion.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
If we would all just adopt mutts from an animal shelter.....
Yeah, except a large percentage of the dogs in Florida shelters are pit bulls or pit bull mixes....they're such a popular breed right now. Even having a dog that looks like a pit bull can be affected by current BSL in some states.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times
Not all dogs of those kinds are dangerous, even the ones labeled dangerous can be sweet and loving, it just depends on how you raise them and this law doesn't make any sense. My friend had a Pitbull and whenever he brought her over to an apartment complex, the landlord would always ask my friend not to bring the dog because she was considered "dangerous" because of it's type and she was a very sweet and playful dog, even to people she didn't know. My other friend had to get rid of his 2 big dogs that look like Min Pins, but their bigger. He had to get rid of them because his insurance company threatened to raise his rates because his dogs were considered "dangerous" and a threat to the neighborhood. The insurance company said this!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 AM

I worked on pit bull legislation as an aide in the 80s and it is next to impossible to identify pit bulls as a breed, so I don't know how they a city can use breed-specific language if they are trying to ban pits. And as Riveree points out, many are mixed breeds, so then they would have to qualify the definition of "breed". American Stafforshire Terrier was the breed that they were going with, but it did not get anywhere. A veterinarian would have to attest to the breed and few will do that for liability reasons.

It is easier for municipalities to regulate/prohibit "dangerous dogs". When a pit in our neighborhood broke free from the owner (was leashed) and killed a cat that was in her own yard, Jax deemed the dog dangerous and they couldn't let it out, even on a leash, without a muzzle. The people ended up moving to a nearby county.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 01-18-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
I worked on pit bull legislation as an aide in the 80s and it is next to impossible to identify pit bulls as a breed, so I don't know how they a city can use breed-specific language if they are trying to ban pits. And as Riveree points out, many are mixed breeds, so then they would have to qualify the definition of "breed". American Stafforshire Terrier was the breed that they were going with, but it did not get anywhere. A veterinarian would have to attest to the breed and few will do that for liability reasons.

It is easier for municipalities to regulate/prohibit "dangerous dogs". When a pit in our neighborhood broke free from the owner (was leashed) and killed a cat that was in her own yard, Jax deemed the dog dangerous and they couldn't let it out, even on a leash, without a muzzle. The people ended up moving to a nearby county.
They have a method and have been using it since 1990 in Dade county. It is still there after all these years. If someone doesn't like it they can challenge it I guess. I doubt few if any would spend maybe tens of thousands on legal fees though.

Sec. 5-17.1. Definition and identification of a pit bull dog.
(a) The term "pit bull dog" as used within this article shall refer to any dog which exhibits those distinguishing characteristics which:
(1) Substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club for American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers; or
(2) Substantially conform to the standards established by the United Kennel Club for American Pit Bull Terriers.
(b) The Standards of the American Kennel Club and the United Kennel Club referred to in subsection (a) above, are attached hereto and incorporated herein by reference as "Exhibit A" and shall remain on file with the Animal Services Division of the Public Works Department of Miami-Dade County.
(c) Technical deficiencies in the dogs' conformance to the standards described in subsection (b) shall not be construed to indicate that the subject dog is not a "pit bull dog" under this article.
(d) Testimony by a veterinarian, zoologist, animal behaviorist, or animal control officer that a particular dog exhibits distinguishing physical characteristics of a pit bull shall establish a rebuttable presumption that the dog is a pit bull.
(Ord. No. 89-22, § 3, 4-4-89)

Last edited by macguy; 01-18-2008 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,572 times
I wonder if the DNA tracking that the AKC is doing would help... or hinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: