U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,094,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
The point was to clarify whether or not a car is required in the state of Florida because I get people telling me that cars are a necessity in Florida and if so, why?
Because we can't walk out our door and get on a bus or train.

If that's not enough "why" then you can certainly get a bike or walk the 4 miles down to the local supermarket. Just keep in mind there are no shoulders, sidewalks, or bike lanes, but you can dodge the cars doing 50 mph. You don't really need a car I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Most people are going to say yes immediately. But I don't think it's that simple. The only place I have ever lived in Florida is Tampa, and there you most definitely need a car. However, I just got back to America and don't have a car...and I'm a little limited, but I've been doing just fine.

I'm moving to Orlando soon, which is pretty great as a car-free option goes. I'll be able to walk to work, and will live in a vibrant area (Winter Park), and Downtown is just a cheap Uber ride away. I don't suggest that anyone live without a car in Florida on a permanent basis, but I want to hold off on a new car purchase until next year...and I'll more than be able to get by for now.

Uber is definitely a great resource. Without it, living car-free in Florida would definitely be much harder. Everyone in Florida should have a car eventually, though. But short-term, it's not really that inconvenient.

However, there really are only certain areas of Florida I think you could do this in...even for short-term. So it's all about planning.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
Developed Florida was largely built from WW2 onwards, so neighborhoods and towns were designed with the idea that there would be a family station wagon in the driveway of every spiffy new 1100 sf concrete block ranch house. There are a handful of pre-war neighborhoods ike Winter Park built before the grand auto age, but the ones that are nice, safe, and convenient to job centers tend to command a pretty high price premium.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 AM

4,818 posts, read 5,373,091 times
As others said.. there must be some people who get by without a car.
However, the mass transit, at least in South Florida, is not that reliable.

To stand and wait for a bus in a torrential downpour or blazing sun is why one needs a car.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
I don't have a car, and I take the bus and maybe Uber to get to work around the county in hopes I would save money by not getting a car. But apparently, I get people saying "This is Florida. You need a car."

I just thought busses, and Uber, and maybe even walking could save me money compared to paying monthly for a car, insurance costs, gas expenses, and car accident liabilities. Plus I'm too afraid to go behind the wheel because I can't trust myself to drive a car.

Is it a necessity to have a car in Florida? Why or why not?

It is a necessity here just as it is in Kansas and most other states. Major cities have bus systems and some have commuter rail lines. It depends on the area u are talking about. Most counties have a bus system. If u live in a large subdivision it may be quite a hike out to the main entrance where u are likely able to find a bus line.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 3,279,366 times
Miami has the biggest public transportation system in the state and it would still be a pain in the a** to have to rely on the buses.If you can live and work right by the metrorail line then it's probably very doable especially since the addition of the airport line the trains come more frequently.Where I live way out west the buses come every 30 minutes during rush hour in the morning and afternoon hours but between those hours it's an hour between buses and they eventually stop running like at 8-9pm.But then you have to deal with the oppressive heat and humidity like 8 months out the year as well as the rain,just waiting for a bus like 15 minutes might have you looking like a wet sweaty mess from the heat,humity or rain.Also for example what if there's a thunderstorm with heavy rain and you live like a 15-20 minute walk from a bus stop,you're either going to get wet or miss the bus.Living without a car would not be easy unless you have the perfect situation.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times
Quote:
I currently live in South Florida, and actually considering either living here, or up north in Palm Bay.
This is like a riddle.

But anyway it all depends on what you do every day.

People live in Jacksonville in communities where you can get all the necessities you need on foot right in your neighborhood and to OCCASIONALLY go to a mall you take a bus. Or to go downtown to "events".

We have a free public bus system in Indian River County. You follow the schedule and can go to the normal places people want to go. DEPENDING WHERE YOU LIVE. You would move to be on the bus line and of course not be commuting to work probably. The hours are limited.

I COULD live with no car. I can walk to the shopping center for necessities and take the free bus to the mall or beach or whatever if I had all day. IF I didn't have to go to work daily. But I'm boring LOL.

I own a dog walking business and you better believe I am SICK of being in the car all day long.

But if you live in So FL you already know the answer as it pertains to YOU, right?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,211,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This is like a riddle.

But anyway it all depends on what you do every day.

People live in Jacksonville in communities where you can get all the necessities you need on foot right in your neighborhood and to OCCASIONALLY go to a mall you take a bus. Or to go downtown to "events".

We have a free public bus system in Indian River County. You follow the schedule and can go to the normal places people want to go. DEPENDING WHERE YOU LIVE. You would move to be on the bus line and of course not be commuting to work probably. The hours are limited.

I COULD live with no car. I can walk to the shopping center for necessities and take the free bus to the mall or beach or whatever if I had all day. IF I didn't have to go to work daily. But I'm boring LOL.

I own a dog walking business and you better believe I am SICK of being in the car all day long.

But if you live in So FL you already know the answer as it pertains to YOU, right?
I would never consider living in Palm Bay without a car unless you live in an apartment right on N. Babcock or Palm Bay road and then like to walk. There is a bus system but hours are limited, might have to stand in the rain, and switch buses several times to get anywhere. You can ride a bike to the bus stop and they will hook the bike on the front of the bus for you to ride from the bus stop to where you need to be, though. Also there is a bus you can call and have pick you up to get you to scheduled things. No Uber. Cabs will cost you a fortune. I have known some pwople who used the bus for getting to work, but usually extended their day by 2 to 3 hours or they could get to work but not get a bus home if they worked till 9.

Buses basically stay on Babcock, Palm Bay Rd, Eldron, Malabar, Port Malabar, Emerson, Jupiter, Degroudt, US1, San Filipo, and Minton Roads. So from the rest of the 90 square miles of roads you would have to walk to catch one.

OOPs, sorry Run, quoted wrong post....meant to quote the poster from Miami thinking of moving to Palm Bay.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times
That's like asking if owning a car is a nuisance if you live and work in NYC. For the most part, yes, but there are exceptions

Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM

526 posts, read 463,042 times
Florida is 100% built on sprawl. I couldn't imagine getting around down here without one honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida